360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had this rod built by out very own Capt Richie and was curious to hear any input. Even thou I havent gotten a chance to use it, IMO it has one of the nocest actions out of all my rods. Enough cajones for tuna but a light enough tip for tog or even eelin for bass.

I never had a chance to pull on the BD100 firsthand, can anyone tell me what the differances are?

Thanks in advance !

·
2,924 Posts
The Stealth (Smith KGS) Overview: It was made as a lighter action rod suitable for smaller sized fish, ie tuna under 50-60 pounds. We tested that rod in Panama and we were completely surprised on how versatile the rod was. It had much more backbone than originally thought. I personally caught yellowfin in the 100# class with ease and Sami basically landed a 200 pound yellowfin on it as well before it broke at gaff.

Specs: The rod is a shorter casting rod at 7'6" in comparasin to most and thin in Diameter. It is also Kevalar wrapped which is a huge plus. It casts smaller lures under 80-100g with ease. I was casting Heru Cubera 80-100g poppers along with smaller stickbaits such as Baby Runboh, Tailwalk Gunz and Shimano Ocea Stickbaits a country mile with this rod.

Action: Not unlike most smith rods its action is somewhat unique. It has a great oddly arching tip that whips lures then progresses into a good amount of backbone closer to the midsection of rod. Its a very good rod for many applications such as tossing lures to striped bass, or catching schoolie tuna. Its extremely light and comes in two pieces for easy travel

Overall it was a pleasure to fish with but much different than the Black Devil series (see Below)

The Black Devil 100 Overview: This rod was made as the lighter of two tuna casting rods but proved to handle huge fish in the 200 pound class easily. When I was associated with Ocean Revolution this was my favorite rod. It is a long casters dream, if you wanted to bypass your fellow angler this was the rod to throw.

Specs: The rod was long at 8'8" with a really whippy tip so you can really load this rod during the casting process. I have thrown a large variety of lure weights with success. I have thrown 65g lures up to 125g lures with no issue and I attribute this to the flex tip section. It came in two pieces as well

Action: This rod was really parabolic and bent far back into blank but you never felt a lot of pressure fishing it, Its long length was ideal for clearing outboard engines and for leaning back on fish. My biggest fish on this rod was about 180 pounds with no issue. In panama we were landing 150 pound yellowfin in less than 15 minutes.

Overall this was my go to rod until my relationship ended with OR, It is a great rod for fish under the 175 range but on larger fish I would gear shorter

In summary I would tell you that both rods are great and both bend whether you are on a smaller, medium or large fish. They are hard to get now because I dont believe they are made anymore. I will no longer be using any OR products but have found the rods I will be sing in 2010 after looking long and hard. Best of luck with them they will fish good

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Its not to often you like a blank the first time you put a bend in it...But the stealth is one of those blanks..I like it a lot & cant wait to fish it in the Keys on some slammer Mahi, blackfin tuna & cobia....
I think I may build mine to fish both spin & casting..start with a 25 guide & go down to a 10 or 8..Fish it with a Calcutta 400TE & or a 4000 , 5000 size spinner with 20lb test on both reels...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts