Harpoon Recommendation

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Jun 15, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

From time to time I fish solo and have been thinking I should carry a harpoon in addition to my gaffs. I would appreciate any recommendations of brand, size, rigging and where to buy one. Thanks ...

2. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Hey Roger,

You can get parts to make your own at New England marine for about $65. I made mine 2 piece to fit in my console.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

third that poon harpoon. make sure you get an extra dart or two and an extra 100 ft of 1/4" line just in case.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

third that poon harpoon. make sure you get an extra dart or two and an extra 100 ft of 1/4" line just in case.

I second that as well ... with a poly ball

6. pametfisher

Thanks everyone, I guess I will go with the Poon since I got enough DIY projects at the moment. How large a ball should I get?

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Get a Polyform ball. An A-1 or A-2 size will fit you well. If you dont have time, you can order the POOn harpoon in a package with the poly ball 5/16" line and a basket on stalkeroutfitters.com

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Pamefisher,

Before you go and buy a poon, let me look around the places I keep tackle. I know I have a "Dart Harpoon" somewhere. I'll never use it. I also have extra Aftco or Pompanet large 6 to 10" flying gaffs just collecting dust. I also have stainless steel block and tackle equipment to hoist up to 3000# fish. I even have stainless steel tuna meat hooks used in commercial plants. I just have move some stuff around to find them. I don't think I'll ever use this stuff. Once it became politically correct to not kill a large marlin, these things got put away. Most of it is in new condition. Give me a couple of days and I'll make you a deal.

9. pametfisher

Pamefisher,

Before you go and buy a poon, let me look around the places I keep tackle. I know I have a "Dart Harpoon" somewhere. I'll never use it. I also have extra Aftco or Pompanet large 6 to 10" flying gaffs just collecting dust. I also have stainless steel block and tackle equipment to hoist up to 3000# fish. I even have stainless steel tuna meat hooks used in commercial plants. I just have move some stuff around to find them. I don't think I'll ever use this stuff. Once it became politically correct to not kill a large marlin, these things got put away. Most of it is in new condition. Give me a couple of days and I'll make you a deal.

Certainly, thank you. Being a swamp yankee, I'm not one to spend money I don't need to. I'll wait to hear from you.

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I found the dart gaff, but I was so freaking hot up in my attic that I almost fainted after 30 minutes of sweat and suffering. I think the darts are up there but no way I'm going to die in this heat in my attic. Here's some pics of the dart gaff. I also found some other flying gaffs but it will be at least six months before I even think of going up there in that sweat box again. I think the Govt should give up waterboardiing and send the prisoner's in my attic this time of year for questioning. One hour and they will talk. Two hours, they are dead.

Attached Files:

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Some more pics. The body of the harpoon is aluminum with a stainless steel shaft on the end. The Stainless shaft that holds the darts is 1/2" in diameter and 18" long. The taper on the end of the stainless shaft is 2 1/4" long. 5/16" at the tip down to 1/2" after 2 1/4". I bought this about twenty years ago. I'm not sure if the company is still in business, but the darts look exactly like the poon ones except they were made out of stainless steel. If I want to die tomorrow, I will go back up in that hell hole upstairs. Otherwise, you are on your own to find darts. If you are interested, just PM me.

Attached Files:

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I also found some flying gaffs. I was so wet with sweat, I took off my shirt and had to ring out about a pint of sweat on the insulation. Even my socks were so wet my feet got wrinkles in them. Here's some more pics. This flying gaff is a pomponette. It has a 5/8" diameter stainless steel shaft and has 6 1/4" inside the loop of the gaff.

Attached Files:

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I also brought down a meat hook (reliable gaff co.) that is 5/8" solid stainless steel. Just hook it through the eye sockets or under the jaw and through the skull, and drag your big fish to the cleaning house. You can also use the meat hooks with the block and tackle to hang up your bigger fish.

Attached Files:

14. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Those meat hooks are pretty sweet.

15. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Different kind of harpoon between the one mr bill shows and what a POON harpoon is.

16. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Peter,

He has it shown w/o a dart. The dart is the same shape I believe.

17. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Darts, are mostly one in the same shape, different materials,

However the POON harpoon is much longer about thinner with a heavy top and meant to be thrown, the one MR Bill shows is completely different. I've throw harpoons in that shape and they are much more difficult and should be used more for poking than deep sticks, or throwing.

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Correct. The one I have is meant to stab the fish, then pull the dart pole out of the fish. The dart stays in the fish and the wire cable from the dart is attached to some rope which is attached to a boat cleat. The dart pole remains in your hands after you have stuck the fish. Even if the dart doesn't go through the whole fish to the other side, it will turn sideways inside the fish and won't come out.

Same process with the flying gaff except after you plant the gaff, you twist the gaff pole to release the flying gaff head.