360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, here is(Tentatively) The handle assembly for a new 7'6" OTI popper that I'm building. Nothing is glued up yet, As I'm still searching(in vain) for some "bling",rings,checks and such.The foregrip is triangular.I figured I'd sacrifice a "Bling"Foregrip for what I consider to be the most functional grip made. Anyone who has ever fought a BIG fish with a triangular foregrip knows what I mean. I don't think you can beat the feel and stability of these grips.
I used a solid graphite seat(light) and I made the split butt grips. (I had to do this split butt thing ,I love the way they look.) Anyone see anything I should/could change before glue? Oh, When we built 2 piece,glass to glass or graphite to graphite rods back in the day, we always reinforced the female end of the "ferrule." Is this necessary on this one? I've never built a 2 piece that joins at the butt. Maybe put a winding check there?I know there are some true master guru's here ,What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
830 Posts
nice looking rod , were did you get the handle kit from. I would like to build a 2 piece rod so I can take it along for easy travel.

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice looking rod , were did you get the handle kit from. I would like to build a 2 piece rod so I can take it along for easy travel.
No kit. I bought all the pieces from several different sources.I formed the 2 butt pieces by turning them on my machine and sanding the grooves where I wanted them. The foregrip was also cut and formed a bit.I still may shape the foregrip a bit more it seems a bit big where it meets the reel seat.I'd like to put a gold ring in there ,but getting these things is difficult.
I still don't know if I should reinforce the "female" end of the joint. Anyone?

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Hi mate, you can order all the dress parts that you would have seen on my similar builds from an online store here in Oz. I would say a gold trim ring on either end of the seat would look pretty good but not really a necessity

The ferrule is already reinforced. You can add a winding check for deco

Please take this as a constructive criticism, I would recommend a longer rear section for the split as that will be the cushion under the armpit. I would suggest dry mounting and working a popper to see if you have sufficient length there

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi mate, you can order all the dress parts that you would have seen on my similar builds from an online store here in Oz. I would say a gold trim ring on either end of the seat would look pretty good but not really a necessity

The ferrule is already reinforced. You can add a winding check for deco

Please take this as a constructive criticism, I would recommend a longer rear section for the split as that will be the cushion under the armpit. I would suggest dry mounting and working a popper to see if you have sufficient length there

Thanks for the CC.:) So, you figure I should shorten the foregrip?I'm 18 1/2" from the bottom of the reel seat to the bottom of the gimbal. I'm not sure exactly what you mean. More rubber between the seat and gimbal?
Certainly interested in anything you can offer. I've built alot of rods ,but as I said,This is my first butt joined. I know you've done many. I think tomorrow I'll put it together dry and do some casting.:)
Thanks again bro

·
675 Posts
Oh, When we built 2 piece,glass to glass or graphite to graphite rods back in the day, we always reinforced the female end of the "ferrule." Is this necessary on this one? I've never built a 2 piece that joins at the butt. Maybe put a winding check there?I know there are some true master guru's here ,What do you guys think?

I always add a layer of thread w/ a coat of finish on the last 3" of the butt hoping it adds a little extra hoop strength.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Hi mate, What I mean is the split section. Leave the seat whre it is, that sounds about right. Leave the short bit of eva behind the seat as it is now. Do a longer piece of eva for the back of the split sction so that less of the split is exposed and there is a longer length of eva under the armpit

Attachments

·
1,334 Posts
I agree with Saga; mine has a shorter rear butt section and I will probably end up pulling it off and doing a longer section. I found a 3" or a bit longer behind the reel seat is nice, like yours is, and then a 3-4" gap before the rear grip butt piece starts feels pretty nice. I used a 10" foregrip on mine, others I use a longer one depending on the size of the angler. Shorter people have the reel seat a little farther back towards the gimbal area.

·
** Pak Lurah **
1,077 Posts
I agree with Saga on longer EVA foam on the butt section of split grip.
Minimum is 9" from the end of gimbal so the bare blank doesn't get damage from bouncing on the rod holder when the boat run on the rough seas and give you more cushion area under the armpit.

·
1,334 Posts
Good point about the rod holders! I have some Hypalon I cut down to slip over the blank to protect it in transport :) The EVA gets beat up pretty good, too, so I figured having a sacrificial Hypalon sleeve would keep the EVA looking nice!

·
5,700 Posts
I always add a layer of thread w/ a coat of finish on the last 3" of the butt hoping it adds a little extra hoop strength.

X2

I don't know that its absolutely necessary, but I always wrap the female ferrule on everything that's 2-piece that I build. For extra hoop strength & resistance to splitting.
There's an awfully high bending moment at the front of the foregrip & the butt joint is designed to handle it, I just wrap it for extra security before I put the grip over the top.

BTW..........dont wrap & gloss the male section too close to the join, leave enough for wear in the ferrule.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
The OTI popping rods at least are already reinforced on the ferrule, tougher then any thread wraps will ever make it. These particular rods are also meant for some serious power and if you do decide to go with a wrap of thread then take care that your foregrip will adhere to however you decide to finish that thread wrap

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some interesting thoughts here. I wouldn't have thought to leave a little Extra unfinished to account for future wear,But it makes sense.
I'm still tossing around the longer butt section.I love the look of the wide ,no grip,blank section.(I also like the little butt piece I made:cool: ) I'm not envisioning the "under the armpit" part. When I'm popping a plug,I can't picture a time when the rod will be there.As I picture doing this,The only time I see my hand on the butt is during the cast. The rest of the time, One hand on the foregrip and one on the reel handle.That butt section will probably end up between my legs while working the rod.
I can see on the blank piece where Saga mentions the reinforcement.it looks tough. I'm definately going to dry fit this and go do some casting before I glue anything up.Much easier to figure how I want this then.
Thanks a million guys for all the responses

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well,I put the rod together,Dry,and went to the beach. I live 2 blocks from a nice quiet beach. I winged several different plugs around for 15 or 20 minutes. no line slap:),very smooth, quiet cast.(I used the mnsg fuji sic guides) I couldn't really lay into the cast with as much power as I would under normal circumstances, with the guides taped on, so I'm not 100% sure of the distance this will get, but from what I did,I would say this will be just fine. (I got some interesting looks from the few dog walkers that were on the beach:cool: ) I kept trying to think about what I didn't like and what I wanted to change. The only thing I came up with was that it was a bit heavy. I don't think it's possible to get away from that and still have a rig that will handle fish in the 150- 250 lb category though. Other than that I think I'm going to LOVE this thing just as it is. All I need is some winding checks.and maybe some rings,If I can find them.Pick some colors and put it together.:D

·
45 Posts
Here's what you may want and will probably end your search...

Matagi Brand Japanese Unique Rod Components

Check the web/pdf catalogue and if wanting to have the original hardcopy, post them a mail.

Although set-up in Japanese , finding the parts is by picture/drawing, dimensions are in schedules/listings...and when in doubt send Mr. Matagi a mail (in English...!)and he'll help you out.

Their collection is awesome, service & shipping is fast, prices are normal and as far as checks and bling goes: These parts weigh practically nothing and will be sent in an air-bubble envelope or smallish box, costs: low (mail-parcel).

Hoping to have given some usefull info, wishing you luck with finishing your rod(s), greetz....

Ruud4u

1 - 20 of 26 Posts