360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Black & Gold Marble finish to give appearance of jumping back into water.Cut from several different types of Albalone.Talk about a mission here gang,but the end results are sure worth it.
I am going to start doing all the fish like this in Genuine Albalone,and I am currently working on a Dorado which is just looking off the chain thus far.

Heres the video's I put together for this guy if you want to see more pics~
Thanks for taking a look see and everyone have a great Christmas!

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
WOW now thats craftmanship if I ever saw it..

·
84 Posts
How far down does that rod load? Can abalone marquetry withstand any flex at all? Beautiful work on this one!

I have seen and handled several examples of your recent work. You certainly have a knack for marbling blanks! I have never seen a more colorful rod, gimbal to tip, as the ones you made for some of the local guys. They have certainly enjoyed them!

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How far down does that rod load? Can abalone marquetry withstand any flex at all? Beautiful work on this one!

I have seen and handled several examples of your recent work. You certainly have a knack for marbling blanks! I have never seen a more colorful rod, gimbal to tip, as the ones you made for some of the local guys. They have certainly enjoyed them!

Thank you all so very very much gang,I truly do appreciate the awesome comps!
As far as the Super Seeker loads,its fast action,as are all the blanks,and the load in nowhere near that inlay and will have no effects on ot at all.
I will be testing geniune Abalone as guides underwraps,and perhaps even going over the feet wraps,and the foregrips transitions may be in order also,and I will sure to let you know on the results.I am thinking it should hold up on the short run area's of the underwraps,as well as the guide feet,ect. This might be quite wicked when completed.
Thank's again gang and have a beautiful Christmas!
Dave

·
857 Posts
Thank you all so very very much gang,I truly do appreciate the awesome comps!
As far as the Super Seeker loads,its fast action,as are all the blanks,and the load in nowhere near that inlay and will have no effects on ot at all.
I will be testing geniune Abalone as guides underwraps,and perhaps even going over the feet wraps,and the foregrips transitions may be in order also,and I will sure to let you know on the results.I am thinking it should hold up on the short run area's of the underwraps,as well as the guide feet,ect. This might be quite wicked when completed.
Thank's again gang and have a beautiful Christmas!
Dave

my brother has a chaos rod with abalone under the guides and it looks great. keep up the good work love the rods and watching the vids on youtube

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If any rod get "boat rash" just remember it's not the end of the world,and dont have to stay looking like that,just a cleaning and a new coat and boat rash is gone,and all is new looking again. I recoat rods all the time for folks and they all come out like new again!
Happy holidays everyone and thanks!

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
You should market it..And sell it to other rodbuilders...Put it on a peel & stick like the fish decals...Thats one of the best new things I have seen........

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should market it..And sell it to other rodbuilders...Put it on a peel & stick like the fish decals...Thats one of the best new things I have seen........
Thats there takes so long to do its not funny Richie.It's all cut from genuine Albalone,not from sheets.Time intense,therefore would have to be quite costly,but in the future I might just try your idea out anyways and see how it flys.I have a few other things here in the mix thats might just dwarf this so stay tuned!
Thanks Richie!

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cost effective option to the handcrafted Genuine Abalone.
Almost finished with a Genuine Albalone Trout.I am cutting it out of 8 different types of Albalone and is coming along just fantastic and really cant wait to get it inlayed into the rod.
60 hard hours so far in the designing/cutting ect of the Albalone trout.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Dave

Here's the Video on the rod~

·
3,719 Posts
Jeez! I thought the trout was a decal.THAT'S ABALONE? holy crap. 60 hrs? so,how can you make anything on this with so much time spent? That's fantastic work. You should look for other venues?directions? I don't know, seems there must be somewhere else work like this could be appreciated.Jewlery? small tabletops maybe?

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jeez! I thought the trout was a decal.THAT'S ABALONE? holy crap. 60 hrs? so,how can you make anything on this with so much time spent? That's fantastic work. You should look for other venues?directions? I don't know, seems there must be somewhere else work like this could be appreciated.Jewlery? small tabletops maybe?

No,no,this trout in photos is a decal and the Genuine Abalone I am still tinkering with and cant wait to get that one inlayed onto a rod.I figure a few more weeks and I will post it up here upon finishing.
Its time intensive but I really do enjoy doing them and they add tremendously to the rods
I hope to get better in future and cut the total time in 1/2 in finishing these and then perhaps offering them to others,the least I figure in cost would be $150-$200 per fish I would have to charge

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Incredible detail on the trout mate, can you please email me a full size pic

[email protected]

I will send you pics of the genuine Abalone Trout when its finished Saga.Should have you something in a few weeks
This is a decal on marble and when finished w/Abalone trout I will inlay that into similar.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Ahh, well seeing how the marlin turned out, I reckon the trout will be a stunner as well. How would it go cast in resin and made into a pendent?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts