Hand pain anybody else?

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Mitchw123456, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

My left hand absolutely kill me when pulling on big fish for any length of time. Last night while fishing a local tournament my hand about gave up on me from holding the rod. Does anyone else have this problem and know of any solutions that would ease the pain. Possibly aftermarket wrap over the hypalon to make the diameter bigger? Any suggestions??

2. fishologist

fishologist Member

put a couple rod wrap around it i have carpel tunnel and i need that forgrip to be as wide as possible i buy the xxl and wrap the for grip only a couple of times building it up
    i also use a forarm wrap for your arm you can get them from walgreens

3. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Your problem is probably associated with too tight a grip on the rod. Either use a pad and gimble or get your next rod acid wrapped so that you are not fighting the natural tendency of the rod to twist. My vote is ACID!

4. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

alternate by use spinning setup. i've got elbow problems and switch between the two when needed.

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Use a Smitty harness and let your butt pull the fish.

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Sounds like Carpal tunnel. Have it checked with a nerve conduction study. If carpal tunnel, take or inject some steroids and if it is bad enough have a carpal tunnel release surgery. A larger grip and a spinner set up or harness are good ideas that might help.

7. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

You might consider getting some "cork tape wrap" and putting a layer on your foregrip, and then getting some Swifty Rod Armor, it is a heat shrink product and comes in various sizes. Put that over the cork tape and you should get an increase in diameter. Maybe put several layers of cork?

Snagged is right too, about getting a Smitty plate and harness, just stand there and crank!

DBG

8. jureal

jureal Senior Member

The need to hold tight onto the foregrip is a necessary evil of a conventional set up. That reel always want to go from top to the bottom of the rod. Either use a gimbal on your rod with the appropriate plate/harness or have your next rod built with the acid wrapped guides so that you are not fighting the reel. This is why a spinning setup does not put any additional strain on the angler as the reel is already on the bottom.

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Awe hello Mel... You must be on acid or a coffee grinder one...

You are dead on about the rod torque issues. :)

Snagged is right on about the Smitty's...

I have a numbness in my left arm from my shoulder to my elbow. It concentrates in my elbow. Gimme a spinner or my Smitty's harness for a long fight. I have lengthened the butts on my rods to allow them to rest in my armpit on my right side...

10. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

yep tennis elbow in both arms, numbness in two of my fingers on one hand. had surgery on one elbow already.

i use the elbow wraps, better than the forearm wrap as it has straps above and below the elbow so it doesnt move around. wrist braces work better than forearm wraps to isolate the muscle group and tendons. less mobility but it does help.

11. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Awe hello Mel... You must be on acid or a coffee grinder one...

You are dead on about the rod torque issues. :)

Snagged is right on about the Smitty's...

I have a numbness in my left arm from my shoulder to my elbow. It concentrates in my elbow. Gimme a spinner or my Smitty's harness for a long fight. I have lengthened the butts on my rods to allow them to rest in my armpit on my right side...

Yup. Right on both.

12. venicenporta

venicenporta Guest

Sounds like Carpal tunnel. Have it checked with a nerve conduction study. If carpal tunnel, take or inject some steroids and if it is bad enough have a carpal tunnel release surgery. A larger grip and a spinner set up or harness are good ideas that might help.

I have been told it is cs, does that sound right? During the night escpecially and whenever they are required to do a difficut thing for a long period they go numb:( I wake up 5 or 6 times a night and have to shake them. It started about the second year of working long range 15 to 20 hours a day and goes and comes depending on how hard the work is fishing. What do you guys suggest?

Mike

13. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

pulled on another ray tonight for about an hour (another pulled hook!) on my acid wrapped 700XH with triangular foregrips with a good plate and both hands were worthless almost after about 20 minutes. I also got to play wiht hte new Saragosa 14K tonight and got nailed on a 6oz kroc spoon by a jack fish which in turn ended up with worthless hands fairly quickly. Hopefully the jack won't lose too much weight tonight or it will be in first place when the weigh station opens, as for the hands I guess I'm going to try to wrap the foregrips first. If thats a no go I guess I will go ahead and get them fixed..