Hammered Diamond Jigs

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Jun 10, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Any of you guys from DFW area know where to get hammered diamond jigs locally? Got a few taken by kings and need to restock asap as I got another trip this weekend.

RT

2. obtuseangler

obtuseangler Junior member

Jigs, Rigs and Stuff...

This guy sells for cheap online, lose his hooks and swivels (or call in your order and tell him to leave them off) and use your own. He can get them to you by mail before the weekend.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

obtuseangler,

I already know of that site. I need somewhere locally.

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

BPS had a few in 6-8oz last time I was there.....
    grapevine BPS
    -B

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

BPS had a few in 6-8oz last time I was there.....
    grapevine BPS
    -B

Brian,

I got a few of their diamond jigs but am looking for hammered ones. I did not see them there last time.

RT

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I dont know of anyplace that has hammered dia. jigs in the metro area..
    as Brian said Bps has the regular ones.. I think that cabelas carried a few when they first opened up, but they have since backed way off on their saltwater tackle.

7. ALW

ALW Senior Member

Just bought some and got them in a couple of days by mail. <www.tunafishtackle.com> phone 631 247-7042. It's cheaper than burning gas to go get them.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Not to mention shipping.

9. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

ask wacker about them thangs! they don't work!!!

10. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I am guessing by your posts that the hammered diamond jigs work much better than the plain chrome ones. The diamond jigs that I have are all 4 oz. plain which I use to catch skipjacks for bait.

What size hammerred diamond jigs do you use in the Gulf? How do you work them and what kind of hooks do you use with them?

Would I need some for the 52 hr trip on the Big E in November?

Thanks for the advice.

11. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Jureal,

you dont necessarily need the hammered jigs, the plain ole diamond jigs work very well. with the winds and current we have in the gulf, the drifts on the big E can be pretty fast at times and you will need 8-12oz to get your jig down to the fish.. Be sure and get several in that size.. We catch lots of blackfin with the diamonds.. and snapper/grouper on the bottom drops.. We normally just rip and drop for the blackfins until you get bit.. they do very well on bottom fish as well, we sometimes tip them with squid if the bite is slow..

12. ALW

ALW Senior Member

I was on the Big E May2. The plain diamond jigs worked well on that trip. They always catch fish. I assume the hammered ones work well if that's the case. Just put on forged hooks. Jig weight depends on current, I have 8,14 and 16oz. I also will bring an assortment of OTI and River2sea jigs, mostly 400 gm. The YF's like them just let trail out the side of the boat not jigged. The BF's like them moving fast and rapidly jigged. My last YF on a jig was an OTI red 420gm Jitterbel, just letting it trail out a good distance from the boat. One trip the biggest YF of the trip came on a Jitterbel just trailing out. The smaller ones usually work better than the big ones if current allows. Just can't beat OTI jigs and poppers. Every trip is a little different as what to use. Chunking did not work for anybody on the last trip I was on. Poppers on spinning gear were the best. Most folks ended up throwing the Frienzy blue green Glow Angry popper. 52 Big YF's. Another trip Frienzy balistic flying fish, bit size but rigged yourself. I generally bring some of everything on the Big E.

13. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

I don't fish that area but I agree with Bret regular diamond jigs do work well, with that said In NJ I have had better success jigging with Hammered Jigs.
    I don't ever go fishing without an assortment of hammered diamond jigs!!

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

thanks guys, guess I lucked out.

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

ALW: When you say, "...drifting out from the boat..." which side of the boat do you trail them off of? The side on the direction in which the boat is drifting (so that it will tend to drift over your jig) or the side which the boat is drifting away from (so that it will tend to drift away from your jig)? Thanks.

Russ

16. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. That 50# weight limit on the plane will be consumed by all this tackle I need to bring...

17. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

jureal: I may see you on that November trip. We are tentatively going on one that month, but I'm not sure of the date yet.

18. ALW

ALW Senior Member

Uncle Russ: I just let jig drift several 100 ft out from the side the boat is drifting away from. You don't want the line going under the boat. Very slow sweeps of the rod sometimes work but the boat does that for you. Fast jigging gets BF.

Jureal: You can always pay for an extra bag or ship your tackle USPS. Not much money as far as trip expenses go.

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Uncle Russ: I just let jig drift several 100 ft out from the side the boat is drifting away from. You don't want the line going under the boat. Very slow sweeps of the rod sometimes work but the boat does that for you. Fast jigging gets BF.

Jureal: You can always pay for an extra bag or ship your tackle USPS. Not much money as far as trip expenses go.

Agree, don't let your jig/bait drift under the boat. Your at bad rod position along with higher chances of breaking off/tangles. I usually reel up if my jig/bait starts drifting under the boat. I have had fish run under the boat and had to fight them with rod under armpit the whole time.

20. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I'm on the Siete tuna trip and will be in TX from 11-20-08 to 11-24-08.

21. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I noticed I get alot more hits from diamond jigs than all the other jigs I got. Although the biggest hookups I have gotten are from large size OTI jigs.