Hale Yeah report 5-17

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by rhale, May 20, 2008.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

We finaly got a window to run out and it was worth the wait. We trolled for about 4 hours and only produced one 45 lb Wahoo and then went to jigging as I could hardly wait to try out the new OTI 600 gram rod that I just finished making the week before.
    The jigging was hit and miss but I did get to put my rod to the test on a decent AJ and a few larger ones that I could not keep out of the rig. The rod is by far the most impessive that I have ever jigged with do date and I cant wait to try out my other one that I built for my 870 2 speed.
    We managed our 5 AJ limit and 3 small Grouper before getting back to the billfishing. We were able to fill the Tuna tubes at will as there were huge schools of Bonita everywhere but as fast as we could put live baits out the Sharks were making quick work of them. We kept trying until almost dark and then headed to the Sword grounds were we went 2 for 4 with a few Sharks in the mix as well.
    The Swords kind of ruined our plans for more jigging and Billfishing the next day, but what better way to have to end a trip early.

Attached Files:

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Here are the pics of the Swords.

Attached Files:

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Wow!!! Great trip!!

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

HOLY SHIATTTT YALL SLAUGHTER THE SWORDS!! IM PRETTY SURE YALL OWN THE TEXAS GULF COAST!!!!!

FISH ON BRO!!

Kevin

5. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Rhale,

most exellent pics!

6. gman

gman Senior Member

We finaly got a window to run out and it was worth the wait. We trolled for about 4 hours and only produced one 45 lb Wahoo and then went to jigging as I could hardly wait to try out the new OTI 600 gram rod that I just finished making the week before.
    The jigging was hit and miss but I did get to put my rod to the test on a decent AJ and a few larger ones that I could not keep out of the rig. The rod is by far the most impessive that I have ever jigged with do date and I cant wait to try out my other one that I built for my 870 2 speed.
    We managed our 5 AJ limit and 3 small Grouper before getting back to the billfishing. We were able to fill the Tuna tubes at will as there were huge schools of Bonita everywhere but as fast as we could put live baits out the Sharks were making quick work of them. We kept trying until almost dark and then headed to the Sword grounds were we went 2 for 4 with a few Sharks in the mix as well.
    The Swords kind of ruined our plans for more jigging and Billfishing the next day, but what better way to have to end a trip early.

Hey now thats a great report, your a man after my won heart. I absolutely love swording, my favorite type of fishing. Nothing beats the anticipation of those fish biting and they are warriors while fighting.

Glad to see you make great use of that beautiful rod, sweet AJ

Glenn

7. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Way to go on the swords!
    Thanks for the great report.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Excellent eating fish you caught this weekend. Congratulations!!!!

You're right about the weather window. I gave it a try this past Friday the
    15th but it was just to rough so we turned around at the fair well buoy.:mad: Saturday was a lot better.:) It's amazing how 24 hours can make a big difference.

Where was the blue water? :confused: I had to stop at Southern as I got a late start. I couldn't wake up the guys that closed down Sharky's. Damn drunks. I even had to leave Southern for the dock as the beer inventory was running low.

I caught some nice size Jack's at Southern with a OTI 600 gram rod. It's fun catching those powerful Jack's on Jigs. I told one guy to grab this big Jack by the tail while I bent over to unhook it. Either he was still cocktailed or doesn't have sea legs. He fell in the drink still holding on the tail.:eek:

Southern was holding Jack's, Kings and barely legal AJ's. Once again, nice slobs you boated. Congratulations. Keep the reports coming.

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

very nice fish! thanks for the pics and report.

10. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Nice AJ on that beautiful rod, I like the blue and silver combination.
    Is that Hypalon or EVA foam handle ?
    How do you like down-locking reel seat for jigging ?

11. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Dang, we're not worthy!!

Awesome work guys!!

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

12. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Nice AJ on that beautiful rod, I like the blue and silver combination.
    Is that Hypalon or EVA foam handle ?
    How do you like down-locking reel seat for jigging ?

Thanks, the handle is Hypalon and the only reason I put the reel seat down locking was to take advantage of rod rings in case I get in to a knock down drag out I will be able to use a harness but it was easy to get used to.

Mr Bill, we never found blue water. The best I saw was blue-green but it didn't seem to affect the fishing to much.

13. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Awesome report and kick azz rod, way to go!

14. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

i really like the blue and silver too, nice job.

15. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Man Ronnie, Yall did good!!

16. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Nothing better than a fresh grilled sword steak. Nice catch.

Blue water is hard to come by right now. It's South. Colt 45 was green Sunday. Blue water was around 455 fathoms. Looking like 4-6s avg for this upcoming weekend.