Hale Yeah is ready for action...

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by rhale, Feb 17, 2009.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Hauled the boat out today for bottom cleaning after setting for 4 months and its now ready for the next weather window if we ever get one.

For the last 3 years we always run the boat about once a week to keep it from growing up so bad but with my father having surgery and me being caught up with Hunting season we let it go way to long. I didnt even try to plain out on the way to the shipyard and after seeing how bad it was I am glad I didn't.
    I spent the last 2 weeks going through the boat fixing all the little problems and replacing all hose clamps, redoing some wiring, packing rudders, fixed a helm leak, changed oil, changed fuel filters, pulled everything off the boat and cleaned all storage areas, ext........ I usualy wait until later in the year to get it ready but this year I want to be ready for the first chance at a bluewater run.
    Here are some pics of what a boat should never look like and one on the way back to the dock.

Attached Files:

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

It doesnt take too much sitting to grow some junk on your hull and appendages... That's sure a great looking Bert.. there Ronnie!!

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have been looking at that boat for sometime now. It is sweet!
    Let me know when the time comes Ronnie, I'll be ready. ;)
    I'd liek to check it out up close when I come down next week for the Scat Cat run.

4. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

That's a helluva boat. For the younger fishermen, that's the 64 1/2 Mustang of hulls. Deep V before it was cool. 31' Bert. Too cool.

Fred

5. fonz

fonz Member

sweet boat!

6. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Thanks guys. I have fished on alot of boats over the years and its hard to beat a good old 31 Bertram. For a 36 year old boat with a refit in 05 it can hang with most of the big boys, in fact the only additions still left for me to do is install the genset and air condition and one more extra fuel tank that will bring total capacity up to 375 gallons. The fuel tank will be done this year but the AC is going to wait.

Here are a few pics of the bottom after about 2 hours of scraping and grinding today.

Attached Files:

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Nice Boat!!

How often do you put bottom paint on it?

d-a

8. rhale

rhale Senior Member

What you see in those pics is 2 years old. I am going to repaint this year but I want to wait a few more months. If I repaint it now it will most likley grow up anyway because this time of year its hard to keep the boat in use.

Closer to summer when the winds start to lay a little and you can fish a few times a month then I will paint.

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

very nice ronnie!

10. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Really nice, I saw you mention that she wa refit in 2005, who did the work?

11. wacker

wacker Senior Member

So thats how you catch all those fish, CAMOUFLAGE!!LOL

Looks good Ronnie, see ya out there.

12. saw1665

saw1665 Junior member

Hey tell your dad i said hi and get her dirty with some tuna blood for me.

Scott Wigal

13. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Really nice, I saw you mention that she wa refit in 2005, who did the work?

Gatewoods installed the new Yanmar diesel's and my father and I did everthing else.

We gutted the boat and redid everything to fit our fishing needs, we added 100 gallons of fuel tanks, glassed in the front window, built bench/bunks the entire length of the cabin, in deck fish boxes, livewell/tuna tubes, hard top/spray curtains, new outriggers, underwater lights, and the list goes on and on and on.

Here are a few pics of some upgrades that we did 2 years ago.

Attached Files:

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Nice Glass work.

What kind of Underwater lights did you use?

d-a

15. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I have 2 50 watt Zenon out the back and 2 75 watt halogen pointing down. The brand is Aqualights. Sooner or later I will get around to upgrading the halogen to 35 watt zenon, its just hard to spend that much $$ on lights.

The 50 watt zenon's were an upgrade last year and I could not belive how much brighter they are.. On a calm new moon night they get out there close to the edge of casting distance.

16. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Here are a few pics of the lights. This was before I upgraded to Zenon.

Attached Files:

17. Rooney

Rooney Member

It looks like you and your Dad put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into that boat. You could pass her off as an '09 model. Good luck to you guys this weekend. At least somebody is fishing.

18. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Ronnie,
    Call if you need crew.

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Nice pictures of the lights. Do you think they help out?

d-a

20. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Without a doubt. I cant imagine not having them for night fishing and if the fishing is slow it will give you some bait fish to watch and help pass the time.