Hale Yeah Daytime Sword...

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by rhale, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

We got out yesterday for some daytime Sword fishing and it payed off. We hooked up at 2:30 and my Dad fought him hard until 4:00 and on the 3rd leader attempt we got him in range of the gaff and it was all over.....

The fish fought hard till the end and even jumped about half way out of the water twice. We had a small crew of 3 so we missed a chance at some great video footage and I was a little late with the camera to get a pic of the jumping but you can see where it landed. This is by far my Dads best catch and it sure was awesome to see. The fish weighed 260.2 lbs on Fishermans Warf's digital scale.

As far as I know this is the first Sword caught durring the day in Texas, if anyone knows different I would like to know. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

congrats to your dad on a nice sword. great job

3. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

wow..congrats..looks a lot bigger than 260.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

how deep were you fishing in?

thats an awesome catch, great work.

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Got any extra swordfish steaks? :D

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

WOW, what a sword!

7. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I also got to put the Tuna Max I built a while back and my new 20K SW to work on some AJs. I LOVE TUNA MAX !!!!! I have fished alot of rods but this one is a keeper for sure. I cranked the drag up so high that my buddy moved away from me because he thought it might break... We made one other stop for some Tilefish and scored 4 for the table.

Oh yeah, and we got to see a Mola Mola (I think thats how you spell it )

Attached Files:

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Good job Ronnie, congrats to your dad for the daytime sword!!!!! nice tilefish bonus.. The hale yeah is off to a good start

9. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

10. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Congradulations to angler and crew! Awesome day!

11. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Killer sword. A really great and unique catch. Were yall doin the really deep drops? I know they fish em daytime in Florida with some success but I haven't heard of anybody here. Way to go Ronnie.

Fred

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

how deep were the tiles?

13. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Big congrats on the day time sword !!!

14. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Awesome catch! Dayside swords in Texas, I'm glad ya'll stepped up to the plate and made it happen.

Well done.

15. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Bret, Tiles were 1000' and we got the Sword in about 1600'

I went all the way to the spool knot on my 20K and tried to catch something on a jig but the current was bad and didnt have enough line to get to the bottom.

Fred, all I can say is if I keep doing the day Sword fishing I am going to look like a Fidler Crab with one huge arm............ Jerrid and I must have reeled in thousands and thousands of yards of line yesterday and my arm is feeling it today.

Thanks for the comments guys.

16. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Awesome catch!!!!

17. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

That's a great catch congrats!

18. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

A trip to remember!

19. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Way to go Ronnie - great sword you're Dad hooked up! My arms hurt just thinking of dropping lines 1000' and 1600' feet much less pulling up a monster sword!

Louis