360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone on a few gulf party boats. I've been using a 7ft "jigging rod" to throw my Halcos and Popper's. I've caught a bunch of black fin but haven't got a yellow yet. I've been considering buying a popping rod. I guess my question is #1 how much better performance would I get and #2 what popping rod would be best for gulf party boat's under $300 Halcos and Popper's? I'm kind of leaning towards the ghost hunter right now.

·
1,924 Posts
I broke my temple reef on a trip and had to use my Ugly Stik tiger lite jigging rod to throw Halcos. The main disadvantage is that I could not cast as far but honestly not by a huge amount. There are plenty of east coast guys that talk about using Vaan Stall 7’ rods to do both. I am not sure about which rod to use. I tried to get a Ghost Hunter 150 for a friend but couldn’t. Ask BNZ about his thrasher rods…. He likes them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Life is short , trips are expensive= have some cake once in a while. Put yourself in the best position to catch your target, a good plugging rod it’s an investment that will last you many years and will make great memories. I still have my first popping rod ( a spinal SPL 84 ) I bought used from this forum about 13-14 years ago. Although I collected many over the years this one still has a special place in my heart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts