Halco Hooks Upgraded?

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by Mpro2, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed a difference on the packaged 130 hooks now? I started to change them out a couple of weeks ago, but could not tell a difference between the package hooks, and the ones that I was going to upgrade them with? So, with that said, I left them on and did manage to get a nice YFT on it without any damage at all to the package hooks. Has Halco been listening to complaints about the hooks they use? Wondering if they are slapping on some ST66's or equivalent now? Anybody have any intel to their quality control that can answer this? Thanks!

Gonefishings likes this.
  2. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

Post a picture. St-66 are easy to identify

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I've noticed this as well. Definitely stronger hooks.
    the welds look like owner hooks but they're not ST-66

4. turbohardtop

turbohardtop Active Member

I plan to change mine out just in case. Getting a bite is rare enough that i do not want to chance it. I already have the ST-66 on hand so I might as well. Do you guys change out the split rings too?

lite-liner likes this.
  5. Oliver Batinga

Oliver Batinga Active Member

I didn't have any issues using them for the first time last month. I landed 3 before switching them out with the ST-66 which, I find more durable than the stock hooks. From what I observed, more damage was done trying to remove the hooks with pliers than the tuna itself gnawing on it.

ranger-dude and Dobhar-Chu like this.
  6. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Well, I wish that I had done that, but I don't own that Halco anymore....some dang cuda does now.

7. lite-liner

Yes. For the Max 130 I switch to Owner hyperwire #6,8 (220#)
    and then a 220# Spro power swivel to the towpoint.

only downside is all that hardware turns a cheap lure into a $25 one.......

phuongph and esgeo like this.
  8. turbohardtop

turbohardtop Active Member

Here is the factory Halco treble comparing to the ST-66 3/0. It does not look like the OEM hooks have changed.

Attached Files:

9. lite-liner

The trebles on the Pink 130's I just scored are far stronger than
    the supplied hooks from 2 yrs ago, but they're not St-66.
    I think they will probably work unless you're running super-heavy drag #'s
    another thing I noticed is Halco is now rigging the 130's with triple-wrap split rings. never a big fan of those, so I dumped 'em.

10. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

Switch stock trebles and split rings. That will be the best money you will ever spend.
    Saw many guys loose fish close to the boat because of stock hardware.
    If you are frugal and you don’t want to change them you can still do it but you will have to fight the fish with low drag and pray it’s not big or has an attitude. Save yourself a heartache and change the hardware on at least 2. If cudas are thick either put the regular stuff out or retrieve fast. On a fast retrieve I catch them with the rear hook

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Brian_Pearland likes this.
  11. AndrewMarek

AndrewMarek Active Member

Not to hijack too obviously :)... but anyone change out their hooks on their 190s (says mustad) or Rooster popper 195 (says mustad 5x). I changed the rings but curious on the hooks.

12. lite-liner

I bought a max 190 a while back and the big singles and rings appear adequate to me. If necessary, a good replacement there would be the Owner#8 220 lb. hyperwire rings and the Shout 9/0 inline single (Spendy!)

Gonefishings and AndrewMarek like this.
  13. hyperman

hyperman Senior Member

I stopped swapping out my halco 130 hooks when i first noticed the thicker wire, i have not had any straightened hook losses to date. Then again, i don't fast pump tuna often.