GUSA Wahoo jigging rodbuild

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Bellyups, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Wel, I am building my first rod. It will be a 7.5 foot jigging rod. I just finished wrapping the underwraps. They are Gudebrod A metallic silver and blue. I will update the post as the rod is built. The rear grip is 14 inch black hypalon, the center of the reel sits 18 inches from the end of the butt. The foregirp is 11.5 inches of hypalon. The reel seat sits with the tightening rings on top, not the traditional bottom. I like it this way as the one rod I have with the reel seat attached in this manner never loosens. The rod will be acid wrapped. When I tested the guides with tape, the rod loaded great. Stripper guide is American Titan turbo 20, the rest are Fuji TNSG 16-12-12-10-10-10-10-10 and the top is Fuji Concept ICMNST SiC 10. The reel seat is Pac Bay channel lock heavy spinning.

The blank is Cobalt blue.

First guide wrap will likely be yellow and the second a deep blue/purple. I may add a few bands into the second guide wrap.

Any input is welcome.

Attached Files:

2. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Your first rod is looking AWESOME! I bet you won't be able to put it down until you get to fish with it after you're done.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

are you mainly jigging this with diamond jigs? I ask bc it is 7.5 feet

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Wel, I am building my first rod. It will be a 7.5 foot jigging rod. I just finished wrapping the underwraps. They are Gudebrod A metallic silver and blue. I will update the post as the rod is built. The rear grip is 14 inch black hypalon, the center of the reel sits 18 inches from the end of the butt. The foregirp is 11.5 inches of hypalon. The reel seat sits with the tightening rings on top, not the traditional bottom. I like it this way as the one rod I have with the reel seat attached in this manner never loosens. The rod will be acid wrapped. When I tested the guides with tape, the rod loaded great. Stripper guide is American Titan turbo 20, the rest are Fuji TNSG 16-12-12-10-10-10-10-10 and the top is Fuji Concept ICMNST SiC 10. The reel seat is Pac Bay channel lock heavy spinning.

First guide wrap will likely be yellow and the second a deep blue/purple. I may add a few bands into the second guide wrap.

Any input is welcome.
    looks nice, good job
    did you cut the wahoo blank? or extend the wahoo JR?
    good guide choice

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Richard,
    Scott told me it was the stiffest thing he's played with in a long time. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

are you mainly jigging this with diamond jigs? I ask bc it is 7.5 feet

Bret, this rod will be used for yoyo jigging, jigging on the drop, etc. Not for traditional Japanese crank and jerk.

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

looks nice, good job
    did you cut the wahoo blank? or extend the wahoo JR?
    good guide choice

Thanks Paul. I had Billy cut 6 inches off the bottom of the 8 foot wahoo.

8. STx Fisherman

That rod will be great for jigging or casting topwater lures near weedlines.
    I guess you might use it on the Big E with topwaters for yellowfin?

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

That rod will be great for jigging or casting topwater lures near weedlines.
    I guess you might use it on the Big E with topwaters for yellowfin?

I may try it for topwaters as well, but that is why I bought the stella 20K and OTI 50 and 80 pound rods! I will cast it with my toriums to see how it does. If it casts like a dream, then I might have to buy a trinidad 40, saltiga 40/50, or ocea jigger 5000P all of which could do double duty as jigging reels and casting reels. I will consider it a devoted jigging rod first (so I don't spend anymore money!)

10. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Scott,

I got your pics that you e-mailed, the rod looks great! Glad that you are really getting into the rodbuilding!! The next best thing to going fishing is having coool custom tackle! I love custom rods, wouldn't have it any other way!

Your choice of guides is interesting, make sure to e-mail some pictures of the guides. Especially interested in the stripper, not sure if I've ever heard of that brand.

Tom - DBG

11. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

I may add a few bands into the second guide wrap.

Any input is welcome.

Adding trim trings in the second overwrap might be a pain in the ass. I STRONGLY suggest when you do this, you start at teh tip of the rod, this way you don't dig yourself into a hole you can't get out of by puttign a lot of trim work on the stripper guide where teh blank is really thick, then when you get to teh smaller part of teh blank you realize you screwed yourself.

12. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

13. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Wrap, Wrap, Wrap, Thats the fun part.

Then put the flex coat on and roll by hand for 3 hours just so it won't

flow over to the down side. Been there done that.

Do you have acess to a slow power turner to let

the flex coat set?

Some of the last things I've wrapped (custom gaffs) I've taken to my local

reel and rod repair guy to put them on his rod turners to flex coat.

If you plan to do it all yourself put aside enough time to do the flex coat.

Nice work you got there so far.

K2

14. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks Fishhead. I ended up buying a PacBay wrapper. The wrapper has been working great. I hand wrapped the underwraps, but it sure would of been nice to have the power wrapper for that part.

The rod build is coming along and looking good. Here are a couple pics of the first guidewraps after one coat of Aftcote. I only CPed the ends of the wraps that will be exposed after the second guidewraps in hope to have better penetration of the epoxy to the guide feet. I am not sure this matters, but you can also see the difference between NCP with and without one coat of Flexcoat CP. Next wrap will be dark blue plain nylon in hopes of a vibrant second guidewrap. You can see the acid wrap turn. This guide position seemed to work perfect when loaded to 30 pounds prior to the wrap (Grescobia made for a good doorknob).

Attached Files:

15. STx Fisherman

Looks good, Scott. I bet that you're having a hard time keeping from putting a bend on that rod now that you've reached this point in the build. Good luck with the finish.

16. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

:) I am very pleased so far! I hopw the final epoxy stages go well and it catches fish Saturday and Sunday!! The blank has a deep blue hue in the sunlight.

Attached Files:

17. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Can't wait to see the finished product in person! Was wondering which reel you were going to be fishing on this rod? I'm sure you mentioned it somewhere, but I forgot. Anybody have the countdown going to the July 4th weekend trip?

DBG

18. STx Fisherman

I bet the epoxy is already on the rod and it's spinning dry as I type.

Nice job, Scott....great rod!

19. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Can't wait to see the finished product in person! Was wondering which reel you were going to be fishing on this rod? I'm sure you mentioned it somewhere, but I forgot. Anybody have the countdown going to the July 4th weekend trip?

DBG

Thanks Tom!

Ocea Jigger 4000P.

If it casts well, then maybe a trinidad 30 DC if I can find a deal or a trini 40, slatiga 40/50. The saltigas sure would loke purty on her!

20. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks Richard. Not yet. I am going to let the CP dry for at least 12 hours from the last coat. I put 4 coats of flexcoat CP on the gudebrod size A dark blue nylon thread. I will place 1-2 permagloss coats tonight, then a thin coat of aftcote epoxy Monday night and Tuesday night. I am hoping for some warm days Tuesday and Wednesday to help fully cure the epoxy since I will be fishing as early as Saturday morning. I'll skip the permagloss step if anyone thinks I need more time to fully cure the epoxy.

The plain nylon thread seemed easier to spin than the NCP thread.

I bet the epoxy is already on the rod and it's spinning dry as I type.

Nice job, Scott....great rod!