GUSA purj 603

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by stresst, Oct 26, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I am having this rod custom made for me for vertical jigging next year. It feels crazy,cant wait till use it. What is a realistic max drag setting for this rod? Anyone take anything big on this blank? Its gonna be used here in the NE.

2. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

22-24#'s is the realistic drag to be fished on it. If you look down a few posts, Scott has a photo of this blank with 30#'s hanging off the tip. The largest fish I know abotu caught using the blank here in the NOrth East was a 142# BFT with an Avet HX with 22#'s of drag and a 500g jig.

Here are the specs on all teh GUSA COmposites: North East Rod Builders

Most of these are currently unavailable, but I am working with Seeker to make me a line of North East Composite blanks - teh first blank I sent to them was the PURJ 603. I will be sending them a Wahoo JR-C, then teh 70 MEga C, and the PURC 60HP and XH. I will have al of these as finished rods next weekend at Trophy Tackle, so you'll understand why I'm anxious about getting them made. There are no comparable Composites like these.

3. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Sorry, Scott e-mailed the pics directly to me, he didn't put them in his post. I deleted the e-mail and no longer have them, sorry.

4. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

22-24#'s is the realistic drag to be fished on it. If you look down a few posts, Scott has a photo of this blank with 30#'s hanging off the tip. The largest fish I know abotu caught using the blank here in the NOrth East was a 142# BFT with an Avet HX with 22#'s of drag and a 500g jig.

Here are the specs on all teh GUSA COmposites: North East Rod Builders

Most of these are currently unavailable, but I am working with Seeker to make me a line of North East Composite blanks - teh first blank I sent to them was the PURJ 603. I will be sending them a Wahoo JR-C, then teh 70 MEga C, and the PURC 60HP and XH. I will have al of these as finished rods next weekend at Trophy Tackle, so you'll understand why I'm anxious about getting them made. There are no comparable Composites like these.

Billy do you have plans to send them a MAG-C...I still have one as a blank???

Thats one nice blank.......

5. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

What are you making hre Mag-Composite for? I actually have a couple of those left - the guys who had ordered them I made them switch to MEga Mag's because the rod is t light for PB Blackfishing.

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I built this rod and love it. I like a slightly longer rod for speed crank and jerk jigging. This rod is 6 foot, which is perfect for me. Nice tip action for 7 ounce jigs, which I frequently use in 300-400 foot of water.

Here are some pics.

The fisrt picture is a 22-23 pound load.
    The 2nd and 3rd pics are 28-29 pounds.
    The fourth picture is for visual pleasure.

Attached Files:

7. semipro

semipro Senior Member

I forget my question
    I was going to say something.........

8. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I built them for bottom fishing ..So far they have been used on a 20mile wreck trip for seabass & north shore blackfish...
    I can tell you they love them...I have one more to build for south shore bottom fishing & I did keep one for myself..