GUSA Predator

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by peterk814, Sep 16, 2008.

1. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Hey guys, I finally got to test out of my new spiral wrapped GUSA Predator over the weekend on a 2 day tuna trip out of Hyannis, MA. Although I am partial to 8ft rods for party boat jigging, I got the predator after feeling the blank and also needing a rod for private boat jigging. I have hypalon fore grips, eva rear grips, Fuji reel seat, and Fuji SIC MNSG guides on it. The finished rod is extremely light and extremely durable. I was casting 230G jigs a mile without any issues at all. The rod was balanced extremely well with a saltiga 50. I fished the rod at 26lbs of drag and was able to jig up a small 40lb long fin on it. Luckily the fish had a lot of spunk and actually took some long runs on the rod so I could see how the blank really handled. The rod handled flawlessly and absorbed the long runs as well as the violent headshakes. I worked the fish up rather quickly and had it in the boat under 2 minutes. The rod is great, handled the fish quickly, its lightweight and even can be used on the rail without fear now. My only regret is that the rear grip was made too short of my specifications, a MISCOMMUNICATION.

2. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Nice review, what reel do you have on there?

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Who built the rod for you?

4. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

How short was it?>

5. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Post some photos of it.

6. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I made him the rod's & thats the grip lenght I was given..We do have the paper with you # on them...The first question I asked on the rear grip was with the cap???????We did offer to make it longer I was told 1 inch.. from 15 to 16"

Other than that sound like I did a good job.. " I was casting 230G jigs a mile without any issues at all" Good guide placement.......

I will do what it takes to make this rod the best it can be no need talk s*#! about someone you never met..

I would add the colors you picked were great..I saved a GUSA Mag-c in green just for those colors..But they did look sick on the cobalt blank..

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Unfortunately I never got to speak with you Richie in person or on the phone. In all fairness richi is absolutely right and he did offer to make it right and to do what it took to make it right. I gave the middle man the rear grip length, when dealing with my old builder that meant the actual grip length, for some I am learning now that mean the reargrip plus cap length. Nothing can be done about that now. I never mentioned your name richi you admitted it =) Gotta add the name if you want to truly be talking smack.

The spiral guide placement was perfectI had the rod maxed out and the action was perfect with the line deflection along the blank.

I will post pictures a bit later as the rods were cleaned and drying. The color pattern was chosen by Richi and he did an excellent job with the wrap, I only chose the colors Richi chose the under wraps the pin striping and where to put all the different colors.

MNSG guides were also at the sugestion of the rodbuilder and I was extremely happy. I thought the smaller guides may have problems dissappating heat especiallly during long runs of fish and also due to the low profile nature of the guide I was worried about the line touching the blank, but it came out perfect.

I would definetely suggest Richi to anyone who is looking to have a rod built. He does extremely quick but quality work. I am in the midst of getting a Tuna Max blank built by him as soon as I work out the details with John.

8. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Nice review, what reel do you have on there?

I had a saltiga 50 on it, but it balances well also with a Trinidad 40 or a Ocea Jigger 5000P

9. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have your Email the colors were all you I love them soon to be seen on a GUSA MAG-C...& thank you ..

10. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Pictures really dont do justice guys, depending on lighting this rod can look a million different colors especially with the blue blank that GUSA puts out now. I was going for the colors of jamaica meets royal blue motif lol.

Richi I sent you a PM

11. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

that meant the actual grip length, for some I am learning now that mean the reargrip plus cap length.

That is a common problem. A lot of people say a 12" butt, meaning a 12" butt grip. Problem is, there are many different length butt caps (persoanlly I cut mine short), and various reel seat lengths (again, I cut mine shorter), plus uplocking and downlocking seats which can lead to a wide variety of interpretations to a 12" butt.

12. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I just picked up my rod made by Rich, the work is flawless. I liked it so much Im having another one built as we speak!

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i like those colors!

14. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

i like those colors!

Thanks i dont wanna see them on any other rod =) kidding

15. semipro

semipro Senior Member

I thought this rod comes only 5 1/2 food.I have 6 f dragon works perfect,also
    monster mag xx heavy 8f and 665 xxh jigging rod.
    If that rod comes 6 f or longer please let me know,I would like to have one

16. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I thought this rod comes only 5 1/2 food.I have 6 f dragon works perfect,also
    monster mag xx heavy 8f and 665 xxh jigging rod.
    If that rod comes 6 f or longer please let me know,I would like to have one

If you are talking about the predator it is a 7' rod unless cut. The blank that is 5'5" is the beast (rated 60-120 I think) which is a very different from the predator (rated 50-80).

17. semipro

semipro Senior Member

You are correct Mike,I was mistaken with beast.Do you have any idea,why Hasting Rods doesnt return your phone calls?I cant believe they could make living like that