GUSA Opinions

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Sea Crappie, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I'm looking to build a 40lb (stretch to 50) class rod for a Stella 8000 and wanted to go with something lighter in weight than a 700M. I keep coming back to the United (GUSA) blanks but I've had bad experiences w/ them in the past.

Someone please post your happy GUSA stories so I can talk myself into trying one yet again. I'm thinking a URS70XH but am open to suggestions. Want to stay w/ United as opposed to 100% graphite GUSAs cause of the fiberglass scrim.

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

kevin has built me a couple of spinners on the gusa/united blanks. the monster mag 7ft 30/60 blank has been great for throwing poppers. kevin also built me a 7ft 50/80 spinner that i use with an accurate twinspin 30. it doesn't cast as great as the 30/60 stick but i wanted something heavier for jigging and to use for chunking with a spinner. that 50/80 blank can put some serious hurt on a tuna and allow me to use some heavier drag settings while jigging and chunking....rick

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I have a GUSA predator that I got from Tj. It is a reallly nice 60lb rod. I have an int 20 on it.. and it has caught tuna up to 125lbs(Txseadog).. Lots of power..lightweight.. I have heard of people having problems with them breaking.. but I think that tends to be a highsticking problem.. I would buy another if I needed one.

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Thanks for the input so far. Bret, the breaking was exactly my problem and it certainly had nothing to do w/ high sticking which is what really bugs me. I've heard the Predator and Wahoo are really strong, but what I need is a 40-50lb rod that can cast lighter poppers in the 1.5 - 3oz. range.

5. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

what I need is a 40-50lb rod that can cast lighter poppers in the 1.5 - 3oz. range.

Go with the URS70H Mega which is the United version of the MonMag. I've built 4 of these for other folks and really like the action.

6. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Go with the URS70H Mega which is the United version of the MonMag. I've built 4 of these for other folks and really like the action.

Kevin built this for me and I used it for the first time on GEM. It is a fantastic rod, plenty of power, and will throw 1 oz to 4 1/2 oz lures really well.

The GUSA MonMag is also a great stick, just a little lighter. But you cannot really tell the difference.