GUSA AKA United Composite

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Capt Richie, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Got The Call today from John Baker my first order of United Composite blanks are on there way..

I ordered all Composite both Dual Helix Challenger Elite & Non Helix Challenger Advantage blanks..
    For all of you that wanted a Wahoo Jr Composite I'm going to order them next..Well I'll keep you posted on the blanks...

Attached Files:

2. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I just recived my blanks they are top quality blanks...I ordered the CA & CE composite blanks ..The CA are the same as the GUSA PURC & the CE are Duel Helix fast/mod action blanks....

I have John Baker of Baker reels working on the Wahoo Jr ( Composite ) both in 7' & 7 1/2',,, the 702 & 701 for my next order

3. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

I just recived my blanks they are top quality blanks...I ordered the CA & CE composite blanks ..The CA are the same as the GUSA PURC & the CE are Duel Helix fast/mod action blanks....

I have John Baker of Baker reels working on the Wahoo Jr ( Composite ) both in 7' & 7 1/2',,, the 702 & 701 for my next order

Is the Wahoo jr. similar to the Calstar gf700h?

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

hey rich any chance on 70mega mags or 76 or 80 megamags?

5. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Is the Wahoo jr. similar to the Calstar gf700h?

In a word no..The Wahoo Jr is a much better blank..Fish wise yes they can handle the same size fish..But the feel & bend of the Wahoo Jr is much better ..Also is a Mod action blank & the calstar is fast..

I fish a 602 pe 4-6 the wahoo jr is pe 5-10 & I have landed grouper to 90lbs amberjacks to 50lbs & tuna in the 12-30lbs range with no problems.One of the first Wahoo Jr I build landed a 150lb bluefin off of NC.......

I also build some 603 in #1 unibutts for a Charter capt in VA he has caught Mahi Mahi to 40lbs tuna to 175 & white marlin in the 100 plus range..

6. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

hey rich any chance on 70mega mags or 76 or 80 megamags?

Yes all the blank are available ..I have a CE70MH 20-40 lb rated that feels & bends just like a Mega Mag but its a composite...It will make a great blackfish & striper rod...

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

How will these rods compare to some of the other rods out there that we are seeing heavier than normal lift test out of with near indestructible blanks?

Also will they make the Dragon again? I like the one i have

d-a

8. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

How will these rods compare to some of the other rods out there that we are seeing heavier than normal lift test out of with near indestructible blanks?

Also will they make the Dragon again? I like the one i have

d-a

These blanks are as strong as every other high quality american made composite blanks...

If you would like a Dragon ( I belive that one was graphite ) I can ask UC to build one...I'm placing an second order next..Wahoo Jr & some other 7' & 6' jigging rods.......It take two to three weeks for UC to fill my order..

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

These blanks are as strong as every other high quality american made composite blanks...

If you would like a Dragon ( I belive that one was graphite ) I can ask UC to build one...I'm placing an second order next..Wahoo Jr & some other 7' & 6' jigging rods.......It take two to three weeks for UC to fill my order..

Its a good blank, and I don't really have a need for another one yet, plus I have 5 blanks that need to be built already

d-a

10. elpescador

elpescador Senior Member

In a word no..The Wahoo Jr is a much better blank..Fish wise yes they can handle the same size fish..But the feel & bend of the Wahoo Jr is much better ..Also is a Mod action blank & the calstar is fast..

I fish a 602 pe 4-6 the wahoo jr is pe 5-10 & I have landed grouper to 90lbs amberjacks to 50lbs & tuna in the 12-30lbs range with no problems.One of the first Wahoo Jr I build landed a 150lb bluefin off of NC.......

I also build some 603 in #1 unibutts for a Charter capt in VA he has caught Mahi Mahi to 40lbs tuna to 175 & white marlin in the 100 plus range..
    can you be a little more specific with better? are they lighter more powerful respond quicker?

11. stresst

stresst Senior Member

You answered it yourself, they are lighter, more powerfull and yes respond quicker. In the past all I fished was Calstar but after fishing gusa/United composites I hardly fish the caltsars. I have CApt Richie building me all United comp. pieces one at a time. Hopefully by spring I will never have to fish a calstar again.

12. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

The best way I can explain it is...Have you ever fished with wire line..After fishing a United Composite ( GUSA ) ..Calstar rods feel like you fishing with wire line...The UC blanks feel alive next to other blanks......

I have yet to have a customer tell me he/she doesnt like them..More like I love that UC rod you built me ..Best rod I ever fished.....They always come back for a second , third on & on & on........

13. elpescador

elpescador Senior Member

so the ca is full graphite and the ce graph/glass comp? is there a list of blank specs to view. Thanks

14. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

The CE & CA are both composite blanks..The CE is a Duel Helix & the CA is a Non Helix blank..

One other thing.. As they load the more pressure the fish puts on the blank the better they fish..So you dont need to over build..A lighter blank will get the job done..The blank feel like it has recoil on the lift..........

There just made different than Calstar or other blanks.......