GUSA 70 Monster Mag

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by rhale, Apr 21, 2008.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

After waiting almost a year for Hastings to finally make my special order blank ( I had to have a blue blank ) I just finished building it last week and got to test it out on some Jacks the other day.
    I built this rod for only one reason, throwing poppers and matched up with my Stella 8000 it should be a fun light tackle (for YFT) set up..
    As far as the test goes, it handled the jacks no problem even after cranking the drag up to almost 30#s (just got to remember no high sticking)

Here are a few pics of the rod in action.

Attached Files:

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

30# of drag on the Mono-mag.. very nice:D

3. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Why wait a year for a blank, you must be ordereing from the wrong places. I've got a grey & Green 70 Monster in stock, and can get you any painted blank in 4 weeks.

I've got a few monsters in various lengths I used in the Tortuga's for Mutton and Grouper & a 30# Jack Crevalle. PErfect blank for that type of fishing.

4. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Why wait a year for a blank, you must be ordereing from the wrong places. I've got a grey & Green 70 Monster in stock, and can get you any painted blank in 4 weeks.

I checked around after I found out that my blank was going to be a while and even checked with a Billy V (might have been you) to see if I could purchase it somewhere else to speed it up but didnt have any luck. I guess that next time I will have to contact you before ordering a GUSA blank.

5. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Billy V is me. When you contacted me a while back, I was not an "offical" Sponsor, with a full inventory. Since then I've taken the plunge and am trying to keep most SW & the FW DHX models in stock, in a variety of colors, as well as waranteeing any rods broken from people who have purchased blanks from me.

When I caught my JC, it was with an 8- Monster & SAltiga 40, in which the drag didn't work, at all. It was pretty much a locked down tug of war, and when the fish decided to run, teh drag was sticky and jerky, to say the least. I also cranked up a few 100# sharks with that rod, and my friend Gamakatsu had 2 Tuna bust off 60# because teh drag 100% locked up, adn the rod bent into teh reel seat with teh foregrip on teh rail. I was standing next to him, and we both kind of ducked out of the way as we though t the rod was goign to explode. Instead the line broke and rod almost catapulted out of his hands fom the recoil, lol. I finally replaced the drag washers after that trip, lol.

6. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Its good to know that you are the man now for GUSA because I love the blank and will be purchacing more GUSA blanks in the future.

7. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

rhale, could you post some info on the comonents you have on the rod?

grip length/material
    guides
    reel seat

I would be interested in getting a rod built like that, or the same blank, and are wondering how to set it up. do you have a total cost to build (minus the labor, this would vary)?

thanks

8. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I have two acid wrapped monster mag and it has been good for tuna up to 80# with no problem. I normally fish only 50# test on that setup matched to a two speed penn 12T.

9. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

He has an aluminum reel seat on there, probably Alps or Aftco, I'd guess size 2. The guides are hard to tell, they look like they are Chrome and Fuji "N" style, but they might be Amtac Titaniums. Sizes are hard to tell, I'll guess 30-20-16-12 and 3 10's.

Grip material is X Flock, and he probably had it installed over somethig due to the diameter - maybe a layer of cork tape or EVA. The length of the foregrip is probably 12".

Tht's all guesses based on the pics posted, I like playing the guessing game. WE'll see what it actually is when rhale posts again.

10. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Damn Billy that is some pretty close guessing.
    Reel seat, Aftco #2
    Guides, Fuji CMNAG 40,25,16,12 and 3 10's
    Fore grip, 13'' eva
    Rear grip, split
    Gimbal, Aftco #3 radiused

Fishr, I dont have recipts with me but I belive the total cost for parts was about $215 to $230. I am completly happy with this blank and will probably build a conventional next.

11. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Since we're guessing...
    Fuji - CMNAG or ICMSG guides
    12" taper foregrip w/ xflock
    Aftco #2 seat with 2-piece rod ring
    Split rear grip???

12. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

The size 40 threw me off on the guides. I was wondering why you'd use the CNSG's (I dont' even know if those are made?). If that foregip is EVA, what is the "X" pattern on it?

Who wrapped the rod?

13. rhale

rhale Senior Member

The size 40 threw me off on the guides. I was wondering why you'd use the CNSG's (I dont' even know if those are made?). If that foregip is EVA, what is the "X" pattern on it?

Who wrapped the rod?

CMNAG Concept Casting Guides
    Heavy Duty Spin/Cast Guide
    Chrome Frame with Alconite Ring

I copied the above info from Mudhole's website. These are the guides I used.

The X pattern is a shrinkwrap over top of Eva, and I made the rod myself. I will take some better pics of the wrapping later tonight and post them ( I was pretty happy with the color selection)

14. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

I've been usingthe CMNAG's for several years, tehy are great guides, adn the Chrome Alconites really do withstand SW even without rinsing. I've got a rod I've been using for several seasons frm a jetty, which I have washed maybe 3 times, adn the guides are rusting. But considering how I've neglected them, they are in great shape and I have had no failures at all.

HEre's a pic of a guide wrap on my Renaissance Rod, an 85 Monster Mag with a 2 piece FUji reel seat & CMNAG guides. 8'8 is what the rod ended up when it was done.

[​IMG]

15. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Excellent pics and info on this thread!!! no pun intended, but......If you like that spiral on the fore grip, Mud Hole and the other place Merrick? offers a wrap material called MooseSkin. You can wrap a small cording pattern on the grip, then install MooseSkin EVA on top of it through a shrinking process.

Pretty cool and I'm looking at it for our proto inshore rods.

16. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Ragman, you made me run into the basement to grab my Mudhole & Merrick catalouge, and check MH's website. Mooseskin is regular EVA foam, tehre is nothing special about it at all. You can get EVA from any supplier, it doesn't have to be Mooseskin.

People have been wrapping 100# Mono on cork tape in a diamond pattern then installing shrink tubing over that to for a textured pattern since the shrink tubing began appearing on surf rods several years ago.

Merrick actually sells foam grips with X-flock pre-shrunk on them for those who are single and don't have a hair drier laying around.