Gunnison Tuna 5/23-5/24

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by BretABaker, May 26, 2009.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Will (high seas drifter), Ben (digidydog), Jared (Jared Chasteen) and myself headed out of Freeport around 11AM Saturday with hopes of tuna.

The weather was great on the ride out and we stopped at the intersection rigs hoping for grouper. No grouper, just the elusive red snapper and I got a ~40lb AJ or so while reeling up. After a little while we just decided to head out. . Poppers weren’t really the ticket on this trip – all subsurface. I tried a Tady and Ranger and they were OK. I think the Tady would’ve been alright but I switched after getting several cudas and crevalles

I ended up grabbing the Skagit Lip Slider in Mackerel color and went from there. I was all over the crevalles (this was a theme). Got a couple more early on along with some blackfin. Finally hooked a yellowfin, got it to the boat pretty quick. 40-50lbs, as most were this night.

Few more crevalles, blackfin and cudas later I had another yellowfin in the boat. There was a bit of a lull then the bite turned on a bit. I had a blistering run only to have the hook pull….would’ve been a nice tuna. A few more casts later I had a nice tuna on. The tuna was very feisty – screamed a ton of line off……I went to slow the spool and it was blistering hot. Honestly I thought this fish was going to be 100+, but it ended up being around 80. The pics aren’t any good, but it was around 55” or so.

I handed the setup over to Ben…….and he promptly hooked another 50 yellowfin – his first ever (yep, he ate the heart).

Jared gave the setup a few casts……but I think it was only blackfin that wanted to play. We did get some nice sized blackfin though – Will had one that was around 25 or 30lbs. It was the biggest blackfin I’ve seen in Texas.

Just as I began to think about retiring the lure…….a cuda stole it. That was annoying. I used a Tackle House Sinking Works the rest of the time which produced a lot of blackfin, big shock there.

Stopped at the rigs again on the way in…..i caught more crevalles, but ben and jared got into some AJs…..Jareds was over 60” at the fork, really nice fish.

Luckily threaded the needle through some storms and made it back alright.

Fun times as always, thanks again to Will and Ben for the invite. It was great to fish with you Jared – hopefully next time will produce many more yellows.

There are more pics and I'll put them up once I get them

View attachment 7074
    50lb Tuna Sniper worked awesome with the stella 8000
    View attachment 7075

Bens First Yellowfin
    View attachment 7076

Breakfast of Champions
    View attachment 7077

Jared's big AJ
    View attachment 7078

Threading the needle
    View attachment 7080

The people at Buccee's loved us....
    View attachment 7079

Attached Files:

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Thanks for the report,
    Some nice fish.
    Why no pics of the Jack fish? :)
    Wish I was in Freeport.

What was Buckee's fuel price?

Did you fish the Skagit out of the box or change rings and hooks?

Kev

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice report and catches bret

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Thanks for the report,
    Some nice fish.
    Why no pics of the Jack fish? :) Too numerous ;)
    Wish I was in Freeport.

What was Buckee's fuel price? Under $2.20 I believe. can't remember exactly.

Did you fish the Skagit out of the box or change rings and hooks? I'm not sure whether it comes with hooks or not since this lure used to be Glenn's but landed in my box somehow :p....but i put Owner 66s 4/0 on it
    Kev
    bold

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Yeah, I have wound up with some of Glenn's tackle some how also...
    I guess Jared's AJ was larger than the Crevalles?
    Again nice report,
    Kev

6. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

SWEEET!!! I can't wait to razz Ben about the tuna heart!!! Can't believe he actually fell for that, did that to another buddy of mine a few years back in venice, LMFAO!!!!!!!

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah his AJ was significantly larger than the crevalles lol.

i still cant believe how many i caught. there was MAYBE one or two others caught between 3 people. ugh

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Nice trip. About time the seas were decent. Those Crevalles can be a PITA this time of year. That's a big AJ. I'm guessing around 85 pounds.
    Did you guys see a nice rip about 50 miles offshore?
    Were you guys on a Cat?
    How much extra fuel did you haul?

9. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

The sea temp at gunny was 79.1.

Water was cobalt blue.

No real signifigant defined change more like a quarter mile change. The was a rip full of brown pollen looking shit that ran from intersection to about 12 miles inside of gunny.

Not much bait around. saw about a dozen flyers throuout the whole trip.

We were on the 26gb and burned around 220 gallons.

I really appreciated the invite as i couldnt turn down a trip to gunny.

It was good fishing the THE JACKHAMMER.(bretbaker) the dude flat out killed the jacks from 200ft deep to 3600ft deep.

Like he said subsurface was the ticket, i even trolled poppers 100yards back everytime we moved with one small bft to show for it.

Oh yea.... I caught 5 yellowfins totaling a massive 30#s. Oh well the big aj made up for it. The straps on the black magic were slipping due to drag pressure on the big aj. That savage rod/ black magic kicked its ass in about 5 minutes.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Nice trip. About time the seas were decent. Those Crevalles can be a PITA this time of year. yeah, big time:eek:

That's a big AJ. I'm guessing around 85 pounds.
    Did you guys see a nice rip about 50 miles offshore? we didnt see anything on the way out....coming in we were more concerned with threading the needle of the storms than looking, but we didnt see much. about 20 minutes after leaving gunnison we saw a ton of busting skipjacks. did the run n gun for about 10 minutes but didnt get anything else. i was hoping for larger fish underneath.
    Were you guys on a Cat? yep, 26' Glacier Bay
    How much extra fuel did you haul? We had an extra 60-gallon bladder. We burned about 220 gallons and I think we ran 410 miles total.
    bold :)

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

control that tourette's, pete.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

How many Jacks did the "Jackhammer" catch?

I was just thinking. I know that a lot of people use Jack's for shark bait. I just wonder what would happen if you cut the Jacks into chunks and soaked them in a bucket of saltwater for about fifteen minutes to cut the blood smell. It just might work for chum and chunking the YF's. Has anyone tried using Jack's as chum for YF's?

14. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Mr bill
    I beleive he caught about a dozen a three different rigs. He was killin them at gunny on that special lure. The ones at gunny were between 25 and 40#. He was catchem them on tadys,rangers,skagett, and diamond jigs.

He truly was the jackhammer.

15. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thats a hell lot of camera's at the buccees...

16. gman

gman Senior Member

Yeah, I have wound up with some of Glenn's tackle some how also...

I accidentally left that lure AROUND his box and it ended up IN his box for good LMAO Im glad it caught for him thats a hard core lure

Bret great report glad you got some yellows had to be a long haul

17. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great job guys!

18. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Hey Bret ... thanks for posting that ... looks like a great day

... juices flowing ... Bass and Cod are up here in NE ... Whales and bait too ... boat's in the water ... now we need the weather to cooperate ...

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

How many Jacks did the "Jackhammer" catch?

yeah at least 10. on the bright side at least they fight well. :rolleyes:

ironically, with all the cuda and jack blood in the water that night, we didn't see any sharks (at least I didn't). Kind of surprising.