360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Gun builders

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BillyGoat 
#1 ·
What's up everyone. I'm looking for a reputable qualify long range gunsmith. My last builder ended up canceling on me after 5 months do to a difference of opinion, so we cut ties. So any advice will be appreciated

#5 ·
I live in the Pacific NW. Long range elk rifles start with the 338's. Think wind drift, trajectory, high BC bullets, and enough retained energy way out there to do some damage. Shooting uphill or downhill requires experienced corrections in sighting.

Most of us old time elk hunters think of shooting an elk at over 500 yards as just foolish. Throw in a little side wind and errors in determining range and you will wound at best if you hit the critter. Hunting in the Mountains of the West is a lot different than punching paper targets in ideal conditions when you know the exact range. But if this is what you want to do, go ahead. Your are looking at $5000 or more for a suitable extreme range rifle.

All that being said, my best rifle bull was shot at about 40 yards. The 'ol 30-06 with a 180 grain Partition. And my last elk was shot at a measured 19 feet archery hunting. The secret is knowing how to disappear in the woods to get close.

338 Lapua on the left, 308 Win on the right. I built this rifle for long range. 30 inch heavy barrel, CZ550 action. A main problem with the big long range rifles is weight. Not fun to pack a 15 pound rifle up and down the steep Mountains in the West where the elk live.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm sorry if I sounded foolish with my previous post. Tho a 300 lapua mag or a 300 Norma mag would strong and able to shoot the 230gr Berger at 3000fps I would honestly keep my shots under 500 even even with less desirable game like hogs. Saything that just looking for a builder. Haven't specified price, but that will be a concern at a later date.

#10 ·
Ignore the 2 old old splashes from previous week ( bottom left and right )

Top center , That s 5 shots @ 400 yards
.75”

The center is 3 in 1. Can see copper coming off

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.