Gulf of Mexico Tuna in January

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by mike garone, Nov 28, 2008.

1. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I am thinking about doing a trip in the GOM this January while I have off from school. Although I am not new to tuna fishing I don't know much about fishing for them in the Gulf.

I would like to go on a multi-day trip something in the 2-4 day range on a head boat if that is an option. I had heard good things about the Big E, but they aren't running currently or so I've heard. What boat's should I look into?

I also use the rail, are the rails on these boats high enough to use when fighting a fish?

As far as equipment is concerned I think I have everything covered. I was planning on bringing a GUSA 8' monster mag paired with an avet MXJ for light jigging and popping, a GUSA Wahoo with a avet JX for jigging, a GUSA predator paired with either a baker 4 or an avet exw4/0 for chunking and a GUSA composite rated 50-80 paired with an avet 4/0 for chunking. I also have a GUSA composite rated 80-130 with an avet SDS that I could bring for chunking, but I don't want to bring it if I wont be undergunned with the other setups I have.

Also curious what is the size do the fish run this time of year? What other species besides yellowfin do you typically catch this time of year? Are there places you can get your fish packed and shipped home?

Thanks for the info guys,

Mike

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

36-48 hr trip are the norm in the gulf. rail height will not be a problem. the tackle you have will cover it.

on the texas side the fish are running smaller than on the louisiana side.

the boats out of venice are catching pretty big yf's up to 200 lbs. (lump season) wahoo are all over the place during that time, and also mako's.

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I agree with Kidflex. There are several very good guides out of Venice. In Port Fourchon, I would recomend captain Tomeny. Let me know if you plan a trip. I would be interested.

Scott

4. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

are these boats fishing the rigs or other areas?

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Mike, the boats should take you where ever the YFT are, be it the rigs, floaters, or lump.

Check out any of the captains that post here on the offshore fishing reports forum Offshore Fishing Reports - 360Tuna