Gulf of Mexico squid

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by 6x6, Jun 16, 2007.

1. 6x6

6x6 Guest

I am building some new casting lures for tuna and I was wondering what would be the primary color of squid at the floaters.

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

The squid are usually small and change colors. Most I have seen are dark, but I bet they are light down deep.

3. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

The ones I've seen swimming by at night are about 8 inches and a deep, deep, reddish brown.

4. Pescador

Pescador Member

Q: Are we seeing the colour the fish see?

Solution: Make em plain and add colour with a permanent marker pen, that way if it don't work you can change em?

Just my 6cents worth.

5. Rottweiler22

Rottweiler22 Member

I was snorkling with my father one time near the boyton beach inlet and we swam up on a small school of squid, probably 15-20. It was the coolest thing, from a distance we watched as they kind of played with each other while changing colors very rapidly. Yellow and reds, greens and blues, these squid were the most beautiful things I have seen while diving. As we got a little closer the school noticed us, instantly they all turned that dark redish brown, sank down to the bottom hauled butt away from us. There are many videos online of squid changing colors. From my experience they turn that dark redish brown color when they are spooked and trying to get away from something. I would go with that color for a lure.