Guiding Korean Fishing TV crew

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am going to guide crew of Korean Fishing show from Sat.
    The journey start from Cape Cod blufin jigging/popping and ends with AJ jigging in NC.
    If weather cooperates, they are going to have excellent coverages of bluefin popping and AJ jigging. If time and weather allows we might go giant fishing off Chatham, Cape Cod and grouper jigging in NC.

The host of the TV show is Dongman Shin who is one of a few who introduced Japanese style jigging in Korea. He traveled many places for dogtooth tuna and GT, but I believe it is his first ever trip for bluefin. As he caught many big GT or dogtooth tuna in the past, I don't think it take much time to adjust.
    But he will know 150 - 200 lbs bluefin fight much harder and longer. :)
    I'll keep it posted while travelling with them.

Northern Mariana
    [​IMG]

Komodo Island
    [​IMG]

Chuck Island
    [​IMG]

Bali
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gman

gman Senior Member

kil when will you be in CCB with them? what dates

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

kil when will you be in CCB with them? what dates
    We are planning to fish with Capt Dom on Sat, Sun and Mon, but I don't think we can fish on Sat due to weather. If weather is good, we might try giant fishing on Tuesday before driving down to NC for AJ jigging and grouper jigging.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

best of luck im sure dom will find them for you. i will be up there monday night into tuesday

5. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Kil, long range forecast for N.C. looks alright for where you want to jig for decent A.J.'s.
    Will try and post current A.J, report after this weekend.
    David

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, long range forecast for N.C. looks alright for where you want to jig for decent A.J.'s.
    Will try and post current A.J, report after this weekend.
    David
    Hi David, I'll contact you when dates are fixed. It depends on weather as they can stay for two weeks.

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

hey kil give me a call, ill come out to jersey to have dinner. Ive always wanted to meet shindongman

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

hey kil give me a call, ill come out to jersey to have dinner. Ive always wanted to meet shindongman
    Peter, sure I will.
    They are coming right in time. I heard bluefin were jumping everywhere to day though they are mostly 58" - 60".
    Sunday looks good, but Monday is questionable. I might drive down directly to NC after fishing on Sunday if weather is no good on Monday in Cape Cod as weather looks good in NC on Tuesday and drive back again to Cape Cod to fish Thursday or Friday.

9. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Kil you should have good luck up here. we just got checked in to hotel now, and we will be having sushi when we return home on Mon. The tuna had no trouble eating plugs today, but theyb did not stay on top for long periods. We will be resting tomorrow since it is a blow out. See you on Sunday. Heres a shot of fish this morning.
    68" It ate a sea pup lure by tatoo, that was re wired with heavy swivels and split rings to handle the hooks and drag settings.

[​IMG]

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Wow, congratulations, Trav.
    You found bigger bluefin today. they said most tuna they encountered were smaller ones.
    New JM GT popping rods arrived today and I can't wait to test them.

11. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Kil you should have good luck up here. we just got checked in to hotel now, and we will be having sushi when we return home on Mon. The tuna had no trouble eating plugs today, but theyb did not stay on top for long periods. We will be resting tomorrow since it is a blow out. See you on Sunday. Heres a shot of fish this morning.
    68" It ate a sea pup lure by tatoo, that was re wired with heavy swivels and split rings to handle the hooks and drag settings.

[​IMG]

Your in my parking space......hows the Best Western treatin you?

Yeah, I know all and see all;)

Nice fish. We had a great day too with a 67" fish and a release on a similar class with a few other detonations as well. Was sleeping soundly just now till the dog yakked all over the bed and it's occupants.:mad:

It was blowin stink all night, but its flat calm right now, like glass near shore....too bad its gonna crank right back up shortly. Hope to get in a full day on Sunday Kil.....stay tuned.

12. Tattoo's Tackle

Tattoo's Tackle Junior member

jig42na - Congrats on a nice fish on the sea pup.

As Dom said, we had some good fishing yesterday. One very angry and large creature tried to eat a sea dog and left a 5 foot hole in the ocean but I somehow managed to not hook up. I'm almost glad I didnt because it would have been one hell of a battle.

We also had an awesome strike about 10 feet from the boat. Got to see the whole thing go down, from the cast to this giant green football come and just destroy the sea pup. It was one of those strikes that you replay in your mind over and over. It ate the sea pup, then decided to get on the express way and went screaming off. Wild stuff!

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

They are on the plane now. After I pick them up at JFK airport, NY, I'll drive directly to Green Harbor, MA to fish tomorrow and Monday.
    Weather is pretty decent for both days.

Saturday 10/10
    Morning
    Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.
    Winds: WNW 11 to 14 knots
    Seas: SSE 2 feet at 4 sec.
    Afternoon
    Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small short period wind waves.
    Winds: WNW 16 to 21 knots
    Seas: NW 3 feet at 4 sec.
    Sunday 10/11
    Morning
    Light winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.
    Winds: W 9 to 12 knots
    Seas: SE 2 feet at 10 sec.
    Afternoon
    Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.
    Winds: WSW 15 to 20 knots
    Seas: WNW 2 feet at 3 sec.
    Monday 10/12
    Morning
    Winds: NW 11 to 15 knots
    Seas: NNW 4 feet at 5 sec.
    Afternoon
    Winds: WNW 7 to 9 knots
    Seas: NNW 2 feet at 4 sec.

Tuesday 10/13
    Morning
    Winds: S 12 to 17 knots
    Seas: S 2 feet at 3 sec.
    Afternoon
    Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small short period wind waves.
    Winds: SSW 22 to 30 knots
    Seas: S 5 feet at 4 sec.
    Wednesday 10/14
    Morning
    Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves.
    Winds: NNW 21 to 29 knots
    Seas: NNW 7 feet at 6 sec.
    Afternoon
    Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves.
    Winds: NNW 16 to 21 knots
    Seas: NNW 6 feet at 6 sec.
    Thursday 10/15
    Morning
    Winds: NNW 13 to 17 knots
    Seas: NNE 4 feet at 5 sec.
    Afternoon
    Winds: NNW 9 to 12 knots
    Seas: NNE 3 feet at 5 sec.

14. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

So Dom you staying at the BW in rockland? We're trying to find a place for tonight. I'll PM you my number and maybe we'll hang for dinner. Later Trav

15. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

We had a stellar day, I will wait and let Kil tell this one, but I will tease you with this little tidbit....We had a blue heaven reel locked down on a fish that had the entire spool out for 25 minutes, taking line the entire time, with me struggling to keep up at 4 knots.......:eek:

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It was another good trip with Capt Dom. It was funny a guy from Argentina hooked two bluefin on jig even Dom asked not to use jigs to chase tuna on top. :) We lost total four bluefin caught on jigs. It seems bluefin near bottom are bigger.
    We had double hookups on Dorado Slider and Tattoo lures almost at the same time and landed both and released one. They are not big 120-140 lbs range.
    Korean TV host, Shin landed smaller one in 6 - 7 minutes. His fighting technique remind me of Pony of JIgging Master. Both use almost identical fighting technique. The bigger bluefin in 130 - 140 lbs was fought using new Jigging Master popping rod. It is 8'6" long, but the line rating is PE8 = PE10.
    However the tip section is very sentitive and soft.
    Dom said 'what kiind of rod is this It looke great' when
    he saw the action of the rod while fighting not realizing it is new Jigging Master popping rod. :)

The tuna Shin fought with JM 350g and Blue Heaven reel was a monster, probably over 300 lbs. He caught about 30 mintues, but still the fish was not settled under the boat when the fish pulled hook.

I hope he can have second change to fight a monster tomorrow.

He brought a few Korean jigging rods and popping rods. Those rods are made with newest high qualtiy carbon avaivable. He said one jigging rod made of new carbon could lift over 160 kg !!! They are not heavy either.
    I am going to test one of the Korean popping rod tomorrow myself.

17. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

It was another good trip with Capt Dom. It was funny a guy from Argentina hooked two bluefin on jig even Dom asked not to use jigs to chase tuna on top. :) We lost total four bluefin caught on jigs.

I should just say never and no to you guys more often...it seems every time I say not to jig, you guyus hook them on jigs. I try and keep jigs out of the water when the fish are crashing, but my new friend from Argentina proved me wrong...twice in less than 30 minutes:eek: . Too bad he couldnt keep them on the hook.

18. idigitu88

idigitu88 Junior member

Nice report! Good luck Mon:)

19. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

It was another good trip with Capt Dom. It was funny a guy from Argentina hooked two bluefin on jig even Dom asked not to use jigs to chase tuna on top. We lost total four bluefin caught on jigs. It seems bluefin near bottom are bigger.

Our 70" fish on Friday came on the very bottom so I would agree with your assessment Kil. You would be very proud of John, he told me to stop the boat so he could drop a jig down to the mark we had on the finder as he had read one of your reports of big blobs on the fishfinder right on the bottom and you hooked up jigging on those big blobs. Good luck tomorrow I hope you guy's hang a slob.

20. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

thanks,
    also, what jigging method are you using for bluefin