Guide Spacing Help - OTI 50# Popping Rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by red34, Oct 31, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I am building a replica of the 50# class OTI Popping rod on the same blank. When I bought the blank, I completely forgot to mark up the guide spacing to match their production rods. Does anyone have this spacing written down? I’m sure TJ would let me go do this at his place, but I really hate to bug him…plus, I can never seem to leave there without a blank or a handful of poppers!!!

This is for the newer blank design (stiffer) using 6 guides + tip.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I am building a replica of the 50# class OTI Popping rod on the same blank. When I bought the blank, I completely forgot to mark up the guide spacing to match their production rods. Does anyone have this spacing written down? I’m sure TJ would let me go do this at his place, but I really hate to bug him…plus, I can never seem to leave there without a blank or a handful of poppers!!!

This is for the newer blank design (stiffer) using 6 guides + tip.

I would just do a static test like any other rod blank and place the guides where the rod wants them.

d-a

3. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I would just do a static test like any other rod blank and place the guides where the rod wants them.

d-a

I second Doug's recommendation.

What size guides are your using? I typically use the new concept method with 7 or 8 guides on the 7.5' blanks.

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I'm with Doug and txseadog too. I prefer the 5 guide setup most of the japanese rodbuilders use. By playing around with configurations, you can decide what works best for you.

5. red34

red34 Guest

I just followed the OTI rods in guide model and size that TJ had at his house except that I used size 16 at the end and tip rather than the size 12 that the website calls for for knot clearance.

I only wanted to do this because those guys know alot more about these rods than I do, plus it would save me some time and keep me from messing it up.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I second Doug's recommendation.

What size guides are your using? I typically use the new concept method with 7 or 8 guides on the 7.5' blanks.

I have 7 plus the tip on my Oti popping rods, works great for me.

Didn't know that was a "concept" method, just what the rod liked with the amount of drag I wanted to use.

d-a

7. red34

red34 Guest

I got the guides placed. After I got the tip and the stripper guide on, the rest fell into place pretty easily. Static tested nicely on my 1st try. I got the handle put together. Only problem is that the blue in the gimbal and reel seat from American do not match the blue on the Cabo. Small unimportant details, but still a little dissapointing. I should've taken a little extra time there!

[​IMG]

I had to cut some pre-shaped grips to get the sizes and shapes I was looking for. I wish I would have had a few more shapes to choose from that fit the blank, but all in all, these worked really nicely and the bottom piece fits my hand perfectly when I grip it in casting.

[​IMG]

I'm going to wrap the guides in flat black and marble the finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also going to marble the split grip.

Should I underwrap the guides? I generally do this on larger rods, but I really want to save weight as much as possible on this build. Please tell me why or why not.

Thanks

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

ive never seen a split butt popping rod

9. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

damn!!!! here is another lonely fisherman that sleeps with his rod next to him.....lol