guide placement for a spinner

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by abz400, Jul 12, 2009.

1. abz400

abz400 Senior Member

i need some help on a spinning rod i want to build.i'm getting a shimano thunnus 16000 reel i've build bay rods and some ultra light rods but not a offshore spinner.and also i need what blank to look for and what you guys suggest.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

i need some help on a spinning rod i want to build.i'm getting a shimano thunnus 16000 reel i've build bay rods and some ultra light rods but not a offshore spinner.and also i need what blank to look for and what you guys suggest.

Here is what i use for guide placement Rodbuilding.org - Static Guide Placement

You didn't state what your targeted species and size is so no helping with the blank.

d-a

3. abz400

abz400 Senior Member

Here is what i use for guide placement Rodbuilding.org - Static Guide Placement

You didn't state what your targeted species and size is so no helping with the blank.

d-a

red snapper ling and maybe some amberjack.give me some options.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

red snapper ling and maybe some amberjack.give me some options.

I would build a OTI G3 300g blank left full 6 ft. I have the previous gen one and its my most used rod.

Or one of the mudhole vertical jigging blanks # CBVJ5810, they seem over rated on there specs.

d-a

5. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Here's a general guide spacing (for spinning rods)that I've used for over 30 years:
    5.0 ] [ 7.0
    12.0 ] [17.0
    22.0 ] [ 30.0
    35.0 ] [48.0
    51.0 ] [ 70.0
    70.0 ]

One for 6 and one for 5 guides.

You multiply each of the numbers by the length of the blank, from the top edge of the reel seat to the tip top.
    I usually tape the guides on at the dimentions determined by this formula,put a reel on it and put a bend in the rod. move them accordingly of coarse. It's always surprised me how very few times I actually have to move them . This formula is usually dead on . give it a try.

6. abz400

abz400 Senior Member

I would build a OTI G3 300g blank left full 6 ft. I have the previous gen one and its my most used rod.

Or one of the mudhole vertical jigging blanks # CBVJ5810, they seem over rated on there specs.

d-a

how much is and where do it get it?

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

8. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Here's a general guide spacing (for spinning rods)that I've used for over 30 years:
    5.0 ] [ 7.0
    12.0 ] [17.0
    22.0 ] [ 30.0
    35.0 ] [48.0
    51.0 ] [ 70.0
    70.0 ]

One for 6 and one for 5 guides.

You multiply each of the numbers by the length of the blank, from the top edge of the reel seat to the tip top.
    I usually tape the guides on at the dimentions determined by this formula,put a reel on it and put a bend in the rod. move them accordingly of coarse. It's always surprised me how very few times I actually have to move them . This formula is usually dead on . give it a try.

I am sorry but I don't understand your formula. On the 6 guide placement, for an7 ft blank with the reel placed at 14 inches so the reel face would be about at 17 inches from the butt. That would leave 67 inches from the face of the reel to the tip of the rod. According to your formula, multiply 67 X 5 to get 335. What do you do next?

9. north coast

I am sorry but I don't understand your formula. On the 6 guide placement, for an7 ft blank with the reel placed at 14 inches so the reel face would be about at 17 inches from the butt. That would leave 67 inches from the face of the reel to the tip of the rod. According to your formula, multiply 67 X 5 to get 335. What do you do next?

A little better than 3 1/3 inches down, from the tip, towards the reel is your first guide. A hair over 8 is your next.14 3/4 is your third. a little under 23 1/2 is the next one. a hair over 34 and a hair under 47 are the last two.
    The last number I got was4690(46 and 9/tenths inches.) the 335 you got on the first one is about 3 1/3 inches. Now, if you put your tape touching the top edge of the reel seat and measure to the very top of the blank and get 67" these placements should be right. Let me know what happens.

10. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Oh, so it is not 5.0 but is .05 instead? Or put it another way, it is 5.0 percent which would be .05 as a decimal equivalent? Now, what about guide sizing? I do use another method of guide placement and sizing but I am always interested to see what others do. Thanks.

11. north coast

Oh, so it is not 5.0 but is .05 instead? Or put it another way, it is 5.0 percent which would be .05 as a decimal equivalent? Now, what about guide sizing? I do use another method of guide placement and sizing but I am always interested to see what others do. Thanks.

Guide sizing and type,to me, depend on a lot of things, including personal preference and what you plan to do with the rod.For instance, I would put a completely different set of guides on a short jigging rod than I would on a 15' surf rod. What are ya' building?

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The static test will work better. Not all rods bend the same way. A fast action and a slow action will require the guides to be placed in different locations for a smooth transition.

d-a

13. abz400

abz400 Senior Member

the oti 300 blank how much is it?

14. north coast

The static test will work better. Not all rods bend the same way. A fast action and a slow action will require the guides to be placed in different locations for a smooth transition.

d-a

Yes ,but before you do that ,you need to put the guides somewhere. as I said, adjust accordingly. again, this will have you very close with most blanks. try it , it's free:)

15. jureal

jureal Senior Member

When I get a chance, I will try it on a built rod to see how it compares. Thanks.

16. jureal

jureal Senior Member

17. north coast

Interesting, I haven't built anything for several years now,With the exception of a lot of repairs for buddys,(My friends are brutal on rods.lol)I started to find that the components were costing me more than the factory built rods,And unless I found I really needed something that nobody was building,it didn't make sense anymore. I built commercially for many years, for a couple different shops. Anyhow, I haven't built anything with the guides you mention. I'm sure you did,but I was wondering if you did the deflection test on this rod? it sounds sweet.