GT popper rod

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by marco, Nov 22, 2009.

1. marco

marco Member

hi
    i gone buy me a new popper rod and taught on a smith wrc komodo but i see there are 2 differents ones on the site from APS,a decal and a weaving one.
    do anyone the differences between these rods,there is more than 200 § between them?how is the action from this rod and does anyone more info and advice for a rod like this or other good ones?
    can you compair these rod also with the popperrod from jigging master gtmonster8.6 or is that another class?
    i will use a daiwa 6500DF for this rod,so i think that's a good combination.
    the 6500 GT look similar but is that thesame one or also different?
    thanks to all for good advice
    marc

2. y'sguy

y'sguy Junior member

I BOUGHT THE TYPE WITH DECAL I BELIVE YOU PAY 200 ONLY FOR CUSTOM WEAVING , A GREAT ROD

3. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

The only difference is the weaving, everything else is exactly the same. They are excellent rods.

4. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Marco,

I have never fished a WRC Komodo, but I do own a JM GT Monster 86. The JM GT Monster is a very light, powerful, very well built rod. My only knock against the JM is that the tip is not "soft" enough to cast lighter lures. If you are casting huge poppers with it though, you will be very happy. I use mine to fish for Bluefin Tuna and we sometimes use lighter lures (less than 70 grams) and it just does not throw them well. From what I have read about the Komodo though, I would place the JM GT Monster in the same class of rod.

5. marco

marco Member

steelinhead,i believe that the jm is too strong for smaller lures,also that you can use bigger lures with the komodo
    it's a lot more money just for custom weaving,that's not worth to me

6. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

SleelingHeads,

I almost bought a JM GT Monster. Does the rod tip soft enough to throw a swimbait like Shibuki or Baby Runboh's? Thanks!

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

SleelingHeads,

I almost bought a JM GT Monster. Does the rod tip soft enough to throw a swimbait like Shibuki or Baby Runboh's? Thanks!

Yes it does, but other rods that are made for 90g lures cast them a little farther. I would suspect that a 130g+ lure would be perfect for the JM Gt monster.

d-a

8. DANTE25

DANTE25 Senior Member

MY BUDDY JUST USED THAT ROD ON THE LAST BIG E TRIP AND HE CASTED FURTHERE THAN ANYONE ON THE BOAT, PLUS THE ROD FAUGHT FISH VERY VERY WELL. I WILL BE GETTING ONE SOON AS SOON AS I CAN FIND THE BLANK

9. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Yes it does, but other rods that are made for 90g lures cast them a little farther. I would suspect that a 130g+ lure would be perfect for the JM Gt monster.

d-a

I concur with D-A. There are better rods for throwing those lighter lures. The JM excels with its fighting power, and it is very light.

10. caranx hunter

caranx hunter Junior member

The JM and Komodo are made for heavy GT popping. You probably need to go with 150g to 200g poppers to get the best out of those rods.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I could cast Runboh or Shibuki (70g -80g) pretty far with GT 8'6" rod.
    I am not surprised Brian cast farther than most guys on the Big E with GT8'6" rod even he used Runboh.
    It is stiff, but long and the longer lengh can compensate the stiffness while casting if you know how to load the rod.

You eventually buy different rods for different purposes. It is not just the distance. Different GT rods are developed for different applications.