Grundens Foul Weather Gear and Boots

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Jason4606, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I typically fish GOM and will have occassional trips farther north. (like Cape Cod in 2 weeks. :D) Primarily fishing in sweltering Summer months, but Spring and Fall are possible too. Knowing this, which Grundens would you buy?

Petrus (5oz./yd total)
    Nordan (9.5oz/yd total)
    Clipper (13.2oz/yd total)

My initial thought is that lightest (Petrus) is likely best - I can always wear more underneath if it's cold. But still want something durable.

What about boots? Are there any that are comfortable and light enough to wear even when weather/water isn't frigid cold?

Thanks!
    Jason

2. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

While Grundens' fame for warmth and durability has been won in the harshest service and climates (e.g., Dutch Harbor, AK), and their orange stuff really looks great, GOM offshore weather rarely gets cold enough, long enough, often enough to make Grundens a good choice for fishing. Trips are short; the coldest months (Jan, Feb) are also the roughest; hence, least likely to be fished. I agree with you that the GOM almost always calls for light, layered gear (Frog Togg wt) you can take on/off easily as conditions change.

Boots--There are lots of GOM boot solutions, and non-boot non-answers such as crocks/tennies/flipflops. I think the non-boots are unsafe and eventually uncomfortable. You'll lose your crocs and flipflops unexpectedly; or,hooks, knives, fins will puncture them; blood, guts, goo, water will penetrate and an hour later they are really uncomfortable. For all but the brightest, hottest days of summer, I prefer Xtra Tough boots, but not before they've been tamed by good inserts from REI or the like. That makes them comfortable. However, they can get very hot when you're standing on the deck fighting a fish in the afternoon sun (get a d/h to spray water on them for you; they like to spray stuff w/saltwater). Of course, wipe'm down w/303 before/after every trip and they'll last forever.

3. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

I'm not sure about the Gurnden's wear. Haven't had the need to purchase any for myself yet, but as for the boots, I like the Xtratuff boots. Add a pair of Dr. Scholl's gel inserts and it becomes a very comfortable pair of boots. Here's the link to xtratuff, XTRATUF Protective Footwear

4. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I wear my white pair of grundens (not sure of model name) between sept to may when needed they are light and comfortable usually w a light pair of pants or shorts the orange pair (hercules) only when very cold dec to feb when fishing in LA.
    I want a pair of xtratuff I hear they are very good

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have been wondering as well how crazy I should go on offshore shell wear. I haven't been offshore during the Winter, but I have spent a lot of time hunting in cold, wet climates and I woudl probably agree with Jep that something on the order of layering under Frogg Toggs would fill the bill on a big boat like the Big E. But I would like to hear what others say with regard to what you should take along, say, on a trip with Captain Eddie or one of his Cajun cohorts on a January trip to the Lump with a good norther blowing in. Under those conditions, I suspect it might be really nice to be dressed like a Glousterman headed into the perfect storm.

I have never wanted to buy any of those offshore boots because they look kind of gay--sort of like those boots the go-go dancers used to wear. (I hope in saying this, I have not offended any of my fellow Austin fishermen. :) )

Not trying to hijack the subject but with regard to summer wear, I used to take along 3 or 4 pair of jeans and a bunch of old t-shirts, change frequently, then burn the whole lot on returning home. For future trips, I have adopted the strategery of buying a couple of pair of quick-drying shorts and t-shirts and a couple of pair of Top Sider sandals topped off by tons of sunscreen--with the intention of stepping into the shower and washing off like a dog, walking outside and shaking all over everybody.

Russ

6. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

. . . I have never wanted to buy any of those offshore boots because they look kind of gay--sort of like those boots the go-go dancers used to wear. (I hope in saying this, I have not offended any of my fellow Austin fishermen. :) ) . . . Russ

I didn't recall they wore anything at all, much less boots. But, I'm sure Xtra Toughs could have helped in some of the slimier clubs.

7. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

they usually wear shrimper specials
    Frog togs are great but I would not want to get them all nasty with fish slime and blood you would have to thow them out.I use mine for bass fishing.

8. workin

workin Member

Hey,

We spent about an hour in a hellish thunderstorm my last trip, and the frog tog guy wasn't happy at all. In fairness, the rain was freakin' biblical, and in that crap you would have had to be sealed in a ziploc to stay dry. I was in shorts and just settled for being miserable.

For feets: Hot - sperry flip-flops. Cold - Rugged Shark Great Whites. Neither are cheap, but both solutions have good arch support.

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Grundens are several times more water repellant than Toggs... In the winter, the GOM can become very angry, fast. For smaller, express or center console boats... look at what the Capt and deckhand are wearing. Bayou La Batre reeboks and middle weight to heavy weight Grunden bibbs. Layers on the upper body according to the temperature covered with Middle weight Grundens.

Bigger boats with a cabin... you can get by with f toggs.

Hypothermia is real. Stay dry.

10. Jason4606

All good info, Thanks!

In warm water/hot weather I wear Birkenstock water sandals (synthetic leather, deck-style sole, top and back straps) or Shimano fishing sandals, and everything else quick dry, NO cotton - OHO 50spf long sleeve shirt, Under Armor boxers, and nylon or poly shorts... Really comfortable, a breeze is like instant AC! And they actually come clean when you wash them! ;)

Does anybody own any of these different model Grundens? I don't have any idea how to gauge the difference based on the weight ratings...

If not, I guess I'm going to move up the ladder some to Nordan since they are a little heavier... (but still half the weight of Hercules - 18oz/yd)

Thanks!
    Jason

11. Jason4606

OK. I decided to go a different direction, and I'm really happy with the choice!

Got a Penn Senator set from Charkbait for $36.88! (Would've been good deal at $50, but are on clearance now!) They are light and pack flat. The PVC is super soft, seems very durable and is lined with nylon. The jacket sleeves have neoprene cuffs, the bids are reversible and include nice wide straps.

The sizes run true. I'm 5'11", 205lbs and the large fits really well. (Bibs are just right and very comfortable, no need to down-size as with some of the brands that are cut much fuller.) For my limited use, they seem perfect.

Not top-notch stuff like Grundens I'm sure. But not junk either. I'm really impressed considering the low price point!

I also got the Servus boots that are a deck shoe style, light weight boot. They're OK, but need more cushioning & arch support. A good insole would help, but they're molded very flat on top. I'm going to try, but skeptical if that will work without feeling very tight.

A better choice for all day wear might be the similar Penn Senator boots, or the XtraTuf. (like you guys already mentioned!) They also have a good review of the Penn DeckPro boots (like XtraTuf but blue) that include better insoles and are on clearance for $40!

Just wanted to let you guys know...

Later!
    Jason