Grouper jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jiggawhat, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Just looking for some good tips for grouper jigging. Jig color and size, leader, rod length, jigging technique. mostly black and gag maybe a red or two. any recommendations????????????thanks

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

first of all where are you fishing?

3. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

sorry im in north fla.

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

What you need to do is stay in contact with the bottom. If you have ever bass fished with a worm you jig for grouper the same. You start out parallel with the water and just lift the rod to about 11:00 oclock and let jig flutter back to the bottom staying in touch with the jig, because most grouper hit on the fall back. Then you jack his jaw and get him off of the bottom pronto.

5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

what colors or sizes do you recommend (long or short)?????probably 100-130ft deep

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I prefer the shimano regular in 160 gram. ( or look alikes ) in blue and white and green and white.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

try hammered diamond jigs. in a couple hours i caught quite a few grouper on the june 13-15 big e trip just bouncing a diamond jig.

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

try hammered diamond jigs. in a couple hours i caught quite a few grouper on the june 13-15 big e trip just bouncing a diamond jig.

hammered diamond jigs are very good jigs, don't leave home without em!