grouper jigging tech

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jtl720, May 8, 2009.

1. jtl720

jtl720 Junior member

How do you jig for just bottom species like grouper, snapper, triggers? I am trying to target them more this year. i have a few new jigs i want to try out and wanted to see if anyone could help. Below are the jigs i have seen in most reports catching these.

gold 8 oz hammered

Roscoe jig

Pot Roast

Thank you

2. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

just keep it in the lower water column or bottom bounce. Any jig will work

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

grouper like it on or real close to the bottom, snapper like it in the water column where they are and just bounce it and triggers like it twitched with gold hooks works best for me.

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Don't forget OTI Jumbo/Jager and Smith Dunk Shot. DS is absolutely lethal on bottom fish. 80&150g for snapper/trigger up to 150', and 300g and 200-300' for grouper.

Trebles are already included on bottom of 80g DS. And they're prob OK for triggers/snappers. But my suggestion is to use a big single hook on tail (or single assist) on 150 and 300g. Next time I'm going to try 11/0 Owner SJ41 on the 300g and Gama 8/0 siwash on the 150g.

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

that roscoe jig is a clone of the dunk shot. identical...

6. Marlin jablai

Marlin jablai Guest

doing fast retrieve, until mid water, after that open the bail arm, and trying again to jig. never use treble hook in coral reef area.