Grouper Bucktails

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I plan to experiment bucktails for grouper.
    However, it is not easy to find quality bucktail in 8 - 10 oz range.
    While I am seaching for quality bucktails, I realize most bucktails in the market are way below my expectations in terms of quality.
    It is no wonder Japanese tackle products can easily penetrate into American market even for unreasonable high prices. I am not surprised to see bucktail markets are bombarded with Japanese quality products soon.
    If anyone knows quality bucktails in 8 - 10 lbs range for me to test for grouper, let me know. The experiment with diamond jigs are over and I am going to concentrate on bucktail jigging for grouper in the future trips.

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil: I googled the exact phrase: "8 oz bucktail" and got 639 hits. (Of course a lot of those were such items as 1/8, 5/8 etc. but some were for 8 oz heads. Of course, I doubt the quality of those would meet your standards as to hook quality etc. Another option--you may have thought of it--would be to have a custom mold made to fit the specific hook and body form you want and make your own. Do-It molds makes a blank that you can have machined. I realize this would not be ideal, but only an option if you can't find what you want easily.

I have explored this option for designing my own 4 ounce casting spoons until I found an existing mold that was close enough for government work.

One firm selling the blank mold is Jannsnetcraft, Do-It blank molds, make your own custom molds Some others are Barlows and Stamina. I believe that Do-It actually charges more than their distributors to encourge buying from them. The largest actual (pre-made) bucktail mold they carry is 2 ½ oz. They point out that custom machine work is expensive so to check on cost before buying the blanks mold. I think this mold is less than 6 inches long so may not be big enough for that size jig/hook.

Russ

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Russ, Thanks for the information.
    I bought a few 7 oz Shimano's Lucanus jigs. The jigs are so beautiful that I didn't mind spending extra for them. :) But I don't like the skirt and small hooks. I am going to replace with bigger hook and test them for grouper in NC on Thuesday. I also plan to try 6 oz Spro jigs, but I don't know whether the hooks can hold big groupers.

4. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Hi Kil,
    Check out "NEW BRAID - SEA FOX AND THUMPER SQUIDS" at Braid Lures.

5. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Ive caught AJ's to 44lb on spro jigs...

6. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Kil, the guys that fish up at Alaska use these huge leadheads and plastic swim baits for the halibut and ling cod.
    Those lead heads have a very sturdy hook and what looks to be 12-16 oz of lead. Perhaps you could just tie on some bucktail or plastic strips to that? Long Range fishermen also use something just as big for swimbaits for yellowfin tuna.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, the guys that fish up at Alaska use these huge leadheads and plastic swim baits for the halibut and ling cod.
    Those lead heads have a very sturdy hook and what looks to be 12-16 oz of lead. Perhaps you could just tie on some bucktail or plastic strips to that? Long Range fishermen also use something just as big for swimbaits for yellowfin tuna.
    Mel, I tried many jigs for halibut, but the best jigs for halibut are scampi jigs you are talking about. I go to Alaska in late June for halibut and king salmon jigging and the scampi jigs are going to be my main jigs for halibut.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Believe it or not, I have been collecting bucktail jigs for over 25 years. One of these days, I will gather them all up from their different locations and take some pictures. I've bought a bunch from different countries.I try my best to hit local tackle shops when traveling. Some of the most interesting are local made by commerical fisherman.

Here's a reference page to most lure makers. I use it all the time if I'm looking for some oddball lure of any type. Save it in your favorite places.

www.Mels-Place.com - Directory of Saltwater Fishing Lures, Jigs, Bucktails, Poppers and Soft Plastics

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Believe it or not, I have been collecting bucktail jigs for over 25 years. One of these days, I will gather them all up from their different locations and take some pictures. I've bought a bunch from different countries.I try my best to hit local tackle shops when traveling. Some of the most interesting are local made by commerical fisherman.

Here's a reference page to most lure makers. I use it all the time if I'm looking for some oddball lure of any type. Save it in your favorite places.

www.Mels-Place.com - Directory of Saltwater Fishing Lures, Jigs, Bucktails, Poppers and Soft Plastics
    Thanks very much for the info.
    I am also checking Henry's catalog.

11. Backlash Scott

Backlash Scott Member

Kil, you may want to check out the jigs from Demon Jigs.com.This is an Austrailian tackle manufacturer.Their jigs have a rubber skirt rather than hair, but they have the weights you're after. They have other interesting products as well.I've ordered from them a couple of times & found them easy to deal with.Good luck,
    Backlash Scott

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, you may want to check out the jigs from Demon Jigs.com.This is an Austrailian tackle manufacturer.Their jigs have a rubber skirt rather than hair, but they have the weights you're after. They have other interesting products as well.I've ordered from them a couple of times & found them easy to deal with.Good luck,
    Backlash Scott
    I've known Demon jigs for years. I think they are the first company to make jigs with circle hooks. :) I might order some for grouper jigging. Thanks.

Here are a few grouper bucktails jigs I am going to try.

Silver Bullets are not known well outside of Northeast, but they are proven killer for fluke(sommer flounder), seabass, cod, ect. It should work for groupers.
    [​IMG]

-4 oz PROFISHCO's Fishskin jig
    -6 oz Spro
    -8 oz Silver Bullet
    -7 oz Shimano's Lucanus
    [​IMG]

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

did the soft plastics work well? we didn't fish them much

14. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

its a shame all those shimano jigs cost so much. the new braid jigs look shockingly similar to the duel salty jigs too.. i like those spro jigs. i use them all over the northern gulf in the winter for big fish. bottom bouncing away from jigs. in the summer there are to many bluefish. they dont sink fast enough. cobia love them too!!

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I don't think anyone has mentioned Snapper Slappers yet. They certainly are not bucktail jigs, as such, but they are bucktail-like, if that makes any sense. If you were unhappy with the stock hardware, I assume that could be replaced.

16. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Kil,
    Bluewater Candy makes a very high quality bucktail jig up to 8 oz. It has synthetic hair like a seawitch and a swing hook instead of fixed which I kind of like. It gives trailer a bit more action. Let me know what you think and I can get you some. They are pretty cheap and very durable. Cheers!

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,
    Bluewater Candy makes a very high quality bucktail jig up to 8 oz. It has synthetic hair like a seawitch and a swing hook instead of fixed which I kind of like. It gives trailer a bit more action. Let me know what you think and I can get you some. They are pretty cheap and very durable. Cheers!
    Thanks, Chip. I get some of them and try them.
    You never know until you try as fish usually has different ideas from ours. :)
    Capt Mike of the No Excuse fished with us yesterday. He is another nice guy I met in NC and we had fun together. :)

18. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

I'm a little lost here. Are all the "Baker"s on this board related?

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

tbaker is bretabaker's dad. very good fisherman

20. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

I am not related.