Grips on tuna jig rods?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Kevin Bogan, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Kevin Bogan

Kevin Bogan Banned

I have seen various grip set ups on Tuna jig rods and in many of the photos of guys fishing, it looks as if the assembly is wrong. eg; Too long a rear grip, Fat end foregrips? Whats with that? Is there a standard, or close, of a grip assembly for spin, conventional? Is split grips the right set up?
    My point, I believe that a certain amount of "Balance" or "Feel" should be emplyed in the handle design. Are the current designs correct?

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Its all about balance and your own preference. I love long butt ends for the type of jigging I do yo-yo style, and a long fore grip as well. I think from the end of the seat to the butt I go 20 inches, and I like a minimum 16inch foregrip.

Im not a fan of split rear grips, if anything you want the ass end of a rod heavier to make the rod feel "lighter" (you can see experiments on this and products like the weighted buttcaps show that downward force at the tip is alleviated by adding weight to the back of rods). It also exposes the blank to rod holders.

I also like thin squishy grips.

3. Kevin Bogan

Kevin Bogan Banned

Its all about balance and your own preference. I love long butt ends for the type of jigging I do yo-yo style, and a long fore grip as well. I think from the end of the seat to the butt I go 20 inches, and I like a minimum 16inch foregrip.

Im not a fan of split rear grips, if anything you want the ass end of a rod heavier to make the rod feel "lighter" (you can see experiments on this and products like the weighted buttcaps show that downward force at the tip is alleviated by adding weight to the back of rods). It also exposes the blank to rod holders.

I also like thin squishy grips.
    Peter, most grips on this type of rod are EVA, or firm, the squishy gripos are usualy Hypalon. A hypalon rear will usually balance a rod better as it is heavier in weight..

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

You are correct, a few of my customs are hypalon rear, and EVA forward. I had a rodbuilder a few years ago that got some really nice lightweight Hypalon thats super squishy...unfortunately i havent been able to find some since.

Hypalon or eva, really again peoples choice. EVA is undoubtely the more popular choice.

5. Kevin Bogan

Kevin Bogan Banned

You are correct, a few of my customs are hypalon rear, and EVA forward. I had a rodbuilder a few years ago that got some really nice lightweight Hypalon thats super squishy...unfortunately i havent been able to find some since.

Hypalon or eva, really again peoples choice. EVA is undoubtely the more popular choice.

There are various reasons for using either, but, if you like one why not use what feels good.

6. flatliner

flatliner Senior Member

Kevin,
    I use 8-14" forgrips on my jigging rods. I also use splits on the rear. I space my rear grips out so that the upper split is inside the rod holder. I know about balance but I also know that many more of my customers want a lighter rod and want the rear grip as small as possilbe. My reelseats are roughly 15-18" from the butt. Its my belief that the forgrip should be as long as the customer can have to make the leverage point as high as possible which will make the fight on the fish easier and faster.

Kevin

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

IMO the grips for different kinds of rods should be different. as with anything else, theres no "one size fits all"

the grip i like on a short, parabolic jigging rod is different than what i like on a longer, more traditional stick. for the latter i like something similar to what peter mentioned. however, you cant have too long of a foregrip on a short parabolic jigging rod. that rod is designed to bend deep into the bank all the way to the reel seat. if you had a 14" foregrip on those kinds of rods the grip would be at the top of the bend on a lot of cases which doesnt do any good.

however on a longer stick with different action (and that you might lay on a rail) the long grips are great.