great fishing at hooked on panama fishing lodge

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by JPKIPP63, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JPKIPP63

JPKIPP63 Member

My son's leave today after a reallyfun week. We were blessed with great weather and good fishing.

Family , friends and of course fish!

It's such a blessing to have your family and friends visit you here in Panama. My two sons, Bobby and his older Brother John ,"Roon" , plus there buddy, Tyler Nelson are header home to the cold and wet pacific northwest this afternoon. They had visited me earlier in the year in late April fishing for tuna .

They all wanted another shot at the fishing we have here year around so I convinced them that October was not our high season but still lots of fish. They wanted to take advantage of the super cheep air fare being offered by Continental durring the "green season". For just under $400.00 they fley from Seattle round trip! I picked them up in David last week and we drove here to the lodge. All brought their top he line spinning rods and reels from Shimano. Most were loaded with the new braided lines with 200# mono leaders and a lots of Williamson poppers. These guy's are serious fishermen and all they think about is seeing a huge Pargo, Rooster or Tuna blast the surface charging that popper. We were blessed with good weather, flat seas and only an occasional shower. We fished Punta Barica the first few days as it's the "Mecca" for the big Roosters and Pargo. There are a series of big rocks which hold the monsters. Victor one of out full time guides fished the boys for the first two days as I had taken a fall, don't ask how, and broke my tail bone. He produced big fish daily. Roosters over 50#, the biggest Pargo Tyler had ever landed, plus jacks, barracuda and a ton of Dorado. I fished with the boy's for the next few days trolling the thick weed lines off of Ladrones Island, singles, doubles triples and even a quadruple on Dorado.

When we came back to the docks daily, the cleaning of the fish took over an hour! fresh Dorado, with cilantro and lime, Dorado with butter and garlic and fresh cavichi nightly! Columbia, "Margot", Belki and our staff did a fantastic job every night at dinner. "Margot" made her Pargo soup, "IT IS TO DIE FOR" by far the best soup I have ever eaten is the general comment after the meal! Here are a few pictures and hope you all might take a look some day at coming down this time of year. John maynard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

2. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

It was an awesome trip for sure John. I can't wait to do it again! I'll try to get some more pictures up ASAP. I hope there is some tuna on the menu next time we visit...

3. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

Here are a few more pictures from the adventure:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    too bad the lense was foggy...
    [​IMG]

4. budman

budman Junior member

Thanks' Tyler. I've got the big yellow fin all ready for your return in April! I think I'll buy some of that funny new "string" you use with the poppers.

5. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

...I think I'll buy some of that funny new "string" you use with the poppers.

I will believe that when I see it John!

6. gman

gman Senior Member

Here are a few more pictures from the adventure:

[​IMG]

wanna sell this used black, yellow and orange popper from skagit?

7. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Nice report, I love looking at them roosters, one day hope to fish for em

8. gman

gman Senior Member

great trip btw

9. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

That popper is resting soundly at the bottom of the Pacific in a giant cubera's hole...... took me along time to get over that one........ lots of rum and silence in the bow......RIP skagit pump king.......

10. gman

gman Senior Member

That popper is resting soundly at the bottom of the Pacific in a giant cubera's hole...... took me along time to get over that one........ lots of rum and silence in the bow......RIP skagit pump king.......

bastard fish!!!!!

That is my single undisputed all time favorite popper and they dont make the old shape/size/design anymore

11. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

Ya, I have discovered that.... Was looking for a replacement first thing when I got back..... Those poppers are my favorite as well.... caught the big rooster on it too.......

12. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

wanna sell this used black, yellow and orange popper from skagit?

ouch, talk about hitting a guy where it hurts. I thought you were going to go in after it when that snapper broke you off Bobby.

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great report. glad the see that maniac popper getting some love

14. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

great report. glad the see that maniac popper getting some love

It's now in retirement. That cubera did a serious number on it!

[​IMG]

15. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great pic. did the lure not hold up? i have a ton of those that i havent got to use yet. they look good and have a nice finish

16. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

it held up pretty well I'd say. That picture of the popper is after 2 cuberas, 2 baracudas, and a couple of jacks. Its still plenty useable I'd say. There is one troublesome crack running from the middle of the cup down, but I am not sure how far it goes. Might be superficial, might be more than that. The only fish that really took off much paint was that big snapper, it did great otherwise.

17. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

I just wanna go back for more!

18. budman

budman Junior member

Hey Boy's returned to the "point' today for some high tide popper fishing, Yes, Tyler I peeled off half of my spectra #30 pound mono and tied on some of your "string". Oliver and Victor went with me. Lot's of roosters!!! seven landed. Still no camera. Dad/John

19. JPKIPP63

JPKIPP63 Member

keep up the great fishing john. dan is bringing some cameras down for the capt's to take pics and do the reports regularly. happy fishing you lucky dog. i'll see you in couple weeks. plan to go to town with my friend and me one night.

20. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

I will believe that when I see it John. Nice work on the roosters! Did you get them all on poppers or did you drag around some bait too?