Got out today....

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

And didnt see very much life most of the day. Had one good feed at the morning slack, we got our fish and that was it.....

Fish took a new OTI Wave Dancer in blue, double treble set up. OTI 60-80 sniper did the honors with a Van Stal VS 250, OTI 80 depthfinder line, and Pametfisher wind-on 100#. Justin Lerner landed his largest tuna to date, a nice 66" fish that took just about an hour to land, but Justin got it in to the boat with just a few rests in the gunnel and we let the drag off and the fish run itself out a few times. With just 1 angler, he needed a bit of a break after getting the pig up into the boat, and the seas died before our eyes. saw nothing at all except a few on the screen, covered some ground and made it all the way back to within 9 miles of the harbor, when the singles bar opened up and went off...unfortunately they wanted no part of anything we had. Watched them air out all over the place, big fish from high 60 inch up through 80 plus inch for an hour or so before we gave up trying as it was getting late. Beautiful day out there, and thankful we were in the right spot on the slack as it was SLOOOOOW.....

back at it tommorrow and thursday.

Will pop up a few pics once I get back home.

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

when do we regular folks get a crack at the wave dancer? I've been impatiently waiting.

3. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

thankful we were in the right spot on the slack

Not by chance I'm sure. Your the man.!

4. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Way to go Capt!!!

I wish I was there with you, of coarse the weather gods think otherwise for the weekends. I feel a case of the pig flu on next weather break.

Keep'm tight and screaming.

Remeber they know that Dusky, change the bottom paint LOL!!!!!

5. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Dom - all the pics where sent over today. I hope the write up works out for everyone up there.

Hampton - I got one - I'll trade it to you for my current vet bill lol

6. hamptonsurf

looks like a very cool design.....I'm not wild about the sea dragon, but the wave dancer looks great.

7. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

yes the shape is nice, its a little light for me, as my casting has room for improvement :D :D :D

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

when do we regular folks get a crack at the wave dancer? I've been impatiently waiting.

Soon :). I know TJ was painting some up last I spoke with him. Some should start popping up on dealer shelves in the very near future.

9. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Nice to hear you guys out there Dom! You were cracking us up, even though we were getting Doggies!

10. hamptonsurf

great, I think it will be a winner. Hope to have a few in my stocking....or sooner.

11. jdl

jdl Member

Thanks again for a spectacular trip Dom. My biggest tuna by far and it is nothing short of amazing to see those fish hit a topwater. It was also great to see all size classes of fish airing out inside the bay, whales, and everything else. Truly an amazing trip with a great Captain and I am looking forward to doing it again!!!

Will post some pics when I get them on the computer.

12. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

Soon :). I know TJ was painting some up last I spoke with him. Some should start popping up on dealer shelves in the very near future.

It would be great to have some for the Big E OTI trip ;) I know someone who wouldn't mind feeding one to a big ol yft

<----------

13. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

yes the shape is nice, its a little light for me, as my casting has room for improvement :D :D :D

Picked one up today to field test. It's a nice looking lure but very light. Does not look like it would cast too far on these heavier rods. I'm guessing it's about 1 1/2 oz? Hope to use it on Monday.

14. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Attached Files:

15. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

Picked one up today to field test. It's a nice looking lure but very light. Does not look like it would cast too far on these heavier rods. I'm guessing it's about 1 1/2 oz? Hope to use it on Monday.
    I was in the rite place at the rite time and got a wave dancer.(Thanks TJ)great lookin lure.
    I just put it on my digital scale. 1.9 oz
    shibuki was 3.3 oz

JDL congrats nice fish

Dom I hope to see ya again soon

16. Frogfish

Frogfish Senior Member

Congrats Justin!

17. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Nice one!! Congrats!

18. jdl

jdl Member

Thanks again Capt. Dom!

Here are a couple more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

there are two models of the wave dancer. one is a surface and one sub surface. ive used the latter. casts well with the 50lb tuna sniper but i dont know abt the other rods. 3/0 belly and 4/0 tail are an ideal combo.

last i heard they were just waiting for owner to ship the hooks. the bodies are set and ready to go.

20. Fin Addiction

Fin Addiction Site Sponsor

I plan to try a few of them Monday with a single dressed Owner J on the back....Hopefully it will be enough to counteract turning sideways...