360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Retired Member
4,936 Posts
Not sure if I totally agree with the jig part of you post. A SPJ knockoff costing 1/3 the price of a well known name brand is most likely made from lead. Two jigs coming from the same mold made out of different materials will have totally different actions. A 250g jig made of lead cannot swim the same as a 250g jig made of aluminum, or an alloy, or even stainless. Reals Plate jerker is made of an alloy body with stainless fins, if I remember correctly. As far as rods I don’t know enough about the new nano technology. If a nano blank from the #1 SPJ company and a nano blank from a knockoff will have the same dimensions, taper, length, tip, butt, will the actions be the same?

Benny

·
414 Posts
I hear you!
I see your point as far as jigs behaving differently based on material alloy, i do not think we’ll disagree in a zinc/lead jig would require considerably larger proportions than a 90% lead jig in order to have equal weight. During my lead/sinker pouring years I found out alloys with Zinc we’re inferior to 90% plus lead. For an aluminum jig to reach the 250gm mark would have to be twice as large as a lead jig. Are high end Japanese jigs made out of aluminum? I can see them being made out of Zinc/lead which incidentally is much cheaper to pour than a Chinesse lead jig. As far as blanks, I maintain there’s a great deal of mark up and since SPJ is becoming very popular due to its indisputable effectiveness, retail for a quality blank will go considerably down in price. When the first graphite rods came out they were $200 thirty years ago, they were mostly used by the BASS pros. We can already see new blanks being rolled for a lot less than when the first SPJ $900 blanks/rods. I recall visiting one of the Florida pioneers in building SPJ in Melbourne, FL and 5 years ago a SPJ $1200 rod was not uncommon.

·
Retired Member
4,936 Posts
21CF36E8-C9D6-4150-A3DE-4FF335B2A5CF.jpeg
For an aluminum jig to reach the 250gm mark would have to be twice as large as a lead jig. Are high end Japanese jigs made out of aluminum?
Yes aluminum jigs are considerably larger than a jig made of heavier materials. And yes some overseas tackle companies do make jigs out of aluminum. Here is a comparison of a "Hots" 200g aluminum jig and a "Reals" Alloy and Stainless jig.

·
3,240 Posts
Gonna probably take the plunge and build a spj rod out of an inshore blank made of nano materials. Im almost certain these magic spj blanks just didnt appear. Cut the tip and the butt of a 7’3” inshore mod fast blank and boom spj rod haha. Either breaking it or its gonna work. Buddy landed a 45lb redfish on one of my 6-12lb builds so im thinking cut it a little and maybe jump up to a 10-20 and go from there.

·
Half Asian Sensation
1,050 Posts
I ordered a couple cheap chinese spj rods... all fuji components and spiral wrapped. I'll report back after I can assess their usefullness. I can tell one is going to be fine... the other I'm unsure of. (possibly too stiff). It's a 250-400g rod though so I'll know better when I get heavy lead on it.

·
5,144 Posts
Cut the tip and the butt of a 7'3" inshore mod fast blank and boom spj rod haha. E
Not a rod builder, but have had many built for me.
IMO, if you take a fast action rod,
cut the tip, you will end up with a stiff rod,
that will not act like or bend like a SPJ rod.

I would guess a slow action/taper rod would be the proper
rod to modify.
Potentially some of the Ugly stick models,
trimmed from the butt only,
might make a suitable home built SPJ rod.
Not sure if blanks are still available.

-----

PS. cheap chinese rods that are using "fuji" components
are probably not real fuji components, if that matters.

·
3,240 Posts
yea man i was just brainstorming. usually fast rods have a light tip thats why i said cut a little off the top and the rest from the butt.mostly the butt section. yea moderate /slow action would work better for sure.

·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not a rod builder, but have had many built for me.
IMO, if you take a fast action rod,
cut the tip, you will end up with a stiff rod,
that will not act like or bend like a SPJ rod.

I would guess a slow action/taper rod would be the proper
rod to modify.
Potentially some of the Ugly stick models,
trimmed from the butt only,
might make a suitable home built SPJ rod.
Not sure if blanks are still available.

-----

PS. cheap chinese rods that are using "fuji" components
are probably not real fuji components, if that matters.
Funny that you mention ugly sticks. I have one that has always been to flexible in the tip to really use. But when I compare it's action to that of my SPJ rods, it's very similar.

·
642 Posts
how they move the jig is another story
any rod provided the RIGHT JIG WEIGHT will move the jig just fine.

blackhole, synit, majorcraft, temple reef, ghost hunter, yamaga blanks, palms metal witch, deepliner, NLO spj, phenix have different tip actions when it comes to slow pitch rods. who's the authority to say only one particular rod mentioned is an SPJ rod that can move the jig right?

There is no ISO standard or a regulating body that says this how an spj rod should move a jig, this how deep it should bend with this particular jig weight, this is how thin it should be, etc...

understand the principle behind spj then go out and get your hands on as much different rod manufacturers as you can, then decide for yourself which "spj rod" is better suited to your style of slow pitch jigging.

just like everything in life, there is no best car, no best handgun, no best truck, no best surf rod, no best spinning reel, no best conventional reel, no best etc...

·
Registered
666 Posts
is there any aluminium slow jigs out there ? While getting it down may be problematic in fast currents, I reckon the material could have INSANE action on the fall due to the density ?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Video of the rod.. I'm not one able to judge a slow jigging rod but it's not what I've scene others look like ... he looks like he could pull on it forever though I'll give em that lol

·
5,144 Posts
is there any aluminium slow jigs out there ? While getting it down may be problematic in fast currents, I reckon the material could have INSANE action on the fall due to the density ?
Look into Tin jigs, Pt. Judith, Charlie Graves, there are others.
West coast jigs like Salas, Tady, Candy Bar and others have "light versions"
of many jig styles, not sure if you will find one in the size/length you want.

A technique to get small jigs down deep or in current.
Make up sand chum balls like they do for yelllowtail fishing in the keys.
Encase the jig in the chum ball (make cylinder shaped) and send down.
Quick jerk, and your jigs is clear.
Can also be used with rigs (bait) where you have a long leader that tends
to tangle on the way down.
If you don't want to use chum,
mix sand with molasses.
:)

Reactions: tugasangler

·
5,144 Posts
Video of the rod.. I'm not one able to judge a slow jigging rod but it's not what I've scene others look like ... he looks like he could pull on it forever though I'll give em that lol

At least the rod only bent to the foregrip,
seen some bend past the reel seat :)

Given the choice of fighting fish with that setup
or a handline, I choose handline :)
He was fishing deep enough,
that they floated 80%+ of the way to the surface.

PS> looks like 35 lbs of fish at most, not 50 :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
At least the rod only bent to the foregrip,
seen some bend past the reel seat :)

Given the choice of fighting fish with that setup
or a handline, I choose handline :)
He was fishing deep enough,
that they floated 80%+ of the way to the surface.

PS> looks like 35 lbs of fish at most, not 50 :)
I know a guy slow jigging tuna and popping with a handline . No joke .

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
Not sure if I totally agree with the jig part of you post. A SPJ knockoff costing 1/3 the price of a well known name brand is most likely made from lead. Two jigs coming from the same mold made out of different materials will have totally different actions. A 250g jig made of lead cannot swim the same as a 250g jig made of aluminum, or an alloy, or even stainless. Reals Plate jerker is made of an alloy body with stainless fins, if I remember correctly. As far as rods I don't know enough about the new nano technology. If a nano blank from the #1 SPJ company and a nano blank from a knockoff will have the same dimensions, taper, length, tip, butt, will the actions be the same?

Benny
From what I have learned and seen most of the higher end SPJ rods are made of a dual matt, meaning that they are rolling two different matts on the mandrel at the same time, I do not get that this is a simple or exact science. I think like anything else some makers are going to product X quality, some are going to produce Y quality. Ultimately the market will decide and dictate which will be successful. I've also noticed that SPJ is somewhat akin to fly fishing. It is attracting an older, more experienced and seasoned crowd. The fisherman tend to be buying not only high end rods, but matching Ocea Jiggers ($500), Studio Ocea Marks ($1300) and so forth.

When any maker markets and sells there is development cost, the cost to make the prototypes, to fly places and fish them, to make more prototypes, fish them, narrow down your design, etc its not an easy or overnight process and yes I would think those costs have to be rolled back into the product, just like any other product.

I just spent 11 days in China and Japan with all the big makers and brands.

What others said is true, a slow pitch jigging wave is coming.

All the "New" rods from Japan are solid or at least the tip is solid glass or carbon. You can breath on the new tips and they move - they are that sensitive.

I too purchased samples of "those yellow rods" they arrived in a PVC tube, many of the guides where bent. The blank action was actually not all that bad, the fit and finish where not great, not what I'm used to, after 2 months of trying to get them to make good on the bent guides I've given up. FYI I no longer see said company on FB or anywhere else. Like anything you get what you pay for.

Sure there is a wave of Chevy's coming I don't think they will sell.

This level of fisherman in my experience is willing to spend the money for the very best. I sell $229 Posideon Reels and I sell $475 Ocea Jiggers from Japan. At the shows this past weekend I sold 3:1 Ocea to Poseidon. It's not about the price, it's about the functionality the fit and finish.

A $200 rod is going to have $200 worth of components and feel like a $200 rod

A $500 rod will tend to have the better guides, better fit finish and overall be more of a pleasure to fish better warranty.

That being said I stock top quality rods today For $199.95 and I have rods for $519.95

I also have rods coming from Japan that will be $700 or so

I have access to custom rods from Japan with your name and Sukara or whatever you want hand painted on the reel seat they will be $1000 to $1300 and they will sell.

Different strokes for Different folks. That's why they make Chevys, Toyotas and BMW

Blizzard Sale Today too, free shipping to Domestic USA

get in touch! 609-435-2788
[email protected]

Attachments

·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
From what I have learned and seen most of the higher end SPJ rods are made of a dual matt, meaning that they are rolling two different matts on the mandrel at the same time, I do not get that this is a simple or exact science. I think like anything else some makers are going to product X quality, some are going to produce Y quality. Ultimately the market will decide and dictate which will be successful. I've also noticed that SPJ is somewhat akin to fly fishing. It is attracting an older, more experienced and seasoned crowd. The fisherman tend to be buying not only high end rods, but matching Ocea Jiggers ($500), Studio Ocea Marks ($1300) and so forth.

When any maker markets and sells there is development cost, the cost to make the prototypes, to fly places and fish them, to make more prototypes, fish them, narrow down your design, etc its not an easy or overnight process and yes I would think those costs have to be rolled back into the product, just like any other product.

I just spent 11 days in China and Japan with all the big makers and brands.

What others said is true, a slow pitch jigging wave is coming.

All the "New" rods from Japan are solid or at least the tip is solid glass or carbon. You can breath on the new tips and they move - they are that sensitive.

I too purchased samples of "those yellow rods" they arrived in a PVC tube, many of the guides where bent. The blank action was actually not all that bad, the fit and finish where not great, not what I'm used to, after 2 months of trying to get them to make good on the bent guides I've given up. FYI I no longer see said company on FB or anywhere else. Like anything you get what you pay for.

Sure there is a wave of Chevy's coming I don't think they will sell.

This level of fisherman in my experience is willing to spend the money for the very best. I sell $229 Posideon Reels and I sell $475 Ocea Jiggers from Japan. At the shows this past weekend I sold 3:1 Ocea to Poseidon. It's not about the price, it's about the functionality the fit and finish.

A $200 rod is going to have $200 worth of components and feel like a $200 rod

A $500 rod will tend to have the better guides, better fit finish and overall be more of a pleasure to fish better warranty.

That being said I stock top quality rods today For $199.95 and I have rods for $519.95

I also have rods coming from Japan that will be $700 or so

I have access to custom rods from Japan with your name and Sukara or whatever you want hand painted on the reel seat they will be $1000 to $1300 and they will sell.

Different strokes for Different folks. That's why they make Chevys, Toyotas and BMW

Blizzard Sale Today too, free shipping to Domestic USA

get in touch! 609-435-2788
[email protected]
Do you have a website ?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts