Good jigs for Yellowfin Tuna

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by The Dity Shirt, Oct 3, 2009.

1. The Dity Shirt

The Dity Shirt Junior member

Ive jigged alot at rigs during night and always catch all blackfin tuna. I know the yellowfin are there, but can only catch them using other methods What are some good jigs that Yellowfin are more inclined to eat?

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Try short fat jigs like the Shimano Flat-Sides, SevenSeas Hooker, Fisherman Andamans, and Hot's Drift Tune. Hammered diamond jigs in 7-8oz sizes should work as well. :)

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

slow your jigging down. no guarantees, but yellowfin tend to hit slower jigs IMO than blackfin. the jigs han mentioned work well too and ive had good luck with OTI jager/jumbo and hammered diamond jigs.

4. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

What size assist hooks should I hang on these CM 220s that I just got?

5. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

What size assist hooks should I hang on these CM 220s that I just got?

They look nice dont they? I split a bulk order with a few other friends. I ordered some of Dan's bulk OTI Raptor 8/0 assists. I order two per jig and Im hearing from most that you only want to rig with one. They come with a heavy solid ring. Will rigging assists and line to the solid ring be fine in this case or is additional terminal gear recommended.

6. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

West Coast Yo Yo jigging I use the Glow in the dark painted PL68 by Salas and the 200 Gram Gold Spanyid Raider with Pink Tape or the Purple background with the tape that comes with it. Also 200 Gram Raiders with Red Mackerel tape. I have had great success at night fishing all those jigs for giant Yellowfin. I would love to try them on the east coast or GOM but just have not had the chance. I will remedy that when I come out to fish with Kil.

Jamie

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

West Coast Yo Yo jigging I use the Glow in the dark painted PL68 by Salas and the 200 Gram Gold Spanyid Raider with Pink Tape or the Purple background with the tape that comes with it. Also 200 Gram Raiders with Red Mackerel tape. I have had great success at night fishing all those jigs for giant Yellowfin. I would love to try them on the east coast or GOM but just have not had the chance. I will remedy that when I come out to fish with Kil.

Jamie
    I have no doubt Fishybuzz will have a life time experiece to fight big bluefin in 150 - 200 lbs on poppers when he fish with me in Cape Cod soon. I wish you could come with him as I can not predict what will happen next year because the same bluefin we catch now become over 70" and bigger next year and they might behave differently.

I always thought surface irons used by West Coast fishermen could be excellent lures for yft and bft in Gulf of Mexico.
    In my opinion, there is no jigs which work better for yft than bft. Blackfin are more aggressive and they like fast moving jigs though they also attack slow moving jigs relentlessly.
    I don't use different jigs for yft. Instead, I concentrate on uppper column of water close to surface more for targeting yellowfin on jigs.
    Blackfins are everywhere, but I found I get more blackfin bites in deep while I get more yft close to surface. I like to use longer rod for this purpose. I cast jigs as far as I can as I cast poppers, and give some actions to jigs while jigs come to boat. Sometimes I wait until jigs fall down to the depth I like and work the jig or I work the jig as soon as it hit water.
    That is why I think surface irons used by West Coast fishermen could work for yft in Gulf of Mexico.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

In a couple of weeks, I'll try some surface iron like Salas and Tady's by casting and working the upper water column for YF's in the GOM. I still think I can catch YF's with Rangers and I'll be tossing them also. Of course, I'll be tossing the OTI Komodo, as I think it is the best producer for YF's when the top water action is hot.

9. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

We've caught lots of yft on the old iron man 3 and 5 tady style jigs vertical jigging and on the surface. we started using them in the mid 90's when people down here only knew about diamond jigs and thought jigging was only for black fin at night. we used to use penn 555s on penn 15-40lb powersticks first with 30lb mono and then 50lb powerpro with 50lb flouro leader. it took a long time to get a 50lb fish in the boat but it was fun and effective.
    even though we have better tackle now we catch most of our tuna on live bait and chunks and save the jigging for jacks and grouper. I don't think Iron Man is in business anymore. i used to get them from Charkbait and the Rusty Hook on the west coast.

10. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

If you guys are fishing the upper portions of the water Columns and casting out far then the 125 or 150 gram versions, depending on current strength, of the previously Noted Raiders should work fantastic as well as they are designed for a faster retrieve pattern. You can also skip them if that seems to be working but I prefer letting them swim. For smaller Yellowfin in the 100 pound or less range the Megabaits are also working very well out here on Yellowfin tuna. Of course you can always use the Salas 7x light surface iron in the appropriate colors but consider changing out the stock trebles for Stingers.

I will be using all the above jigs in about 10 days for giants.

Jamie

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

In a couple of weeks, I'll try some surface iron like Salas and Tady's by casting and working the upper water column for YF's in the GOM. I still think I can catch YF's with Rangers and I'll be tossing them also. Of course, I'll be tossing the OTI Komodo, as I think it is the best producer for YF's when the top water action is hot.

I got a few this year on tady/salas before cudas took them all. if the fish are there you should get them. fwiw, i changed my hooks to an 8/0 siwash an the action was still great.