good bluefin bites continue in Cape Cod.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 29, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bluefin fishing usually slow down when water temp goes up to certain level in summer and we are experiencing normal summer doldrum in Cape Cod Bay, but waters off Chatham. Cape Cod is not.
    The water temp was 65.5 degree when I fished yesterday.

After searching around for a while, Capt Dom asked us to drop jigs. Darrel got the first hit. I knew it was a nice tuna, as line peeled off constantly from his Satiga 50 on lokc-down drag ( about 25 lbs).
    Unfortunately it pulled hook. He was similing after the fight. I was not sure he was happy to hook up a nice fish or fish pulled hook gladly. :)

[​IMG]

Then, I had two hit consecutively on my Sevenseas Hooker jig with Owner 4/0 ST66 treble hooks. I lost both fish as I sucks. :)
    In fact, I lost three big bluefin on two trips in a week and I am wondering whether I should continue to use treble hooks for big bluefin despite I landed over a thousand tuna on teble hooks without much problem in the past.
    Head shaking of big bluefin in 150 lbs - 200 lbs is much stronger and violent and it might cause the problem.
    I lost the last tuna when it shaked head violently only 30 ft under boat. I seldom experience tuna shake head so hard while making death circle under the boat. I am going to attach a big assist hook on the bottom of jigs instead in future trips for experimentation.
    The highlight of the trip for me was PE5 reel I used. It is delightful to use it for jigging and the reel performed flawlessly as I expected. This is going to my my main jigging reel for long until I find a better jigging reel.

[​IMG]

Frank finally had a hit and he fought very calmly. I could see he is very experienced fisherman though I fished with him for the first time. He used BX2 500 with Van Staal 5'8" jigging rod.
    I am pretty impressed how the Van Staal rod reacted.
    He landed the 69 incher ( 180 - 190 lbs) in 30 minutes. He said Darrell and himself fought a 64 inch tuna almost for three hours at Lobster Claw this year and he was ready for this tirp. It tells how important to give more drag for big tuna to shorten fighting time.
    Congratulations, Frank. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Congrats Kil Im amazed you were able to get out with the weather. Hooker jig strikes again as even tuna like hookers LOL

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Congrats Kil Im amazed you were able to get out with the weather. Hooker jig strikes again as even tuna like hookers LOL
    Glenn, we had calm day yesterday up there. I didn't have any plan to fish on Friday, but I had to go when I realized I couldn't go fishing until Monday due to weather.

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Nice tuna. The BX2-500 is a nice reel. It's almost to small for me. That's the minimum size reel I can even think about using. Lots of power. Since the introduction of the BX2 series, I haven't had a single problem with the accurates. Big improvement over the original 2-speed series.

Is the PE5 bigger than the 500 accurate? The PE series of reels must be good if they can take all the punishment you give them.

One more note:

Do you guys ever sweat? If I wore blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt fishing this time of year, I'd be laying in a coffin at the end of the day. 58 days over 100 so far this year. I actually had ten drops of water hit my roof yesterday evening. I haven't seen that in over 4 months.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Nice tuna. The BX2-500 is a nice reel. It's almost to small for me. That's the minimum size reel I can even think about using. Lots of power. Since the introduction of the BX2 series, I haven't had a single problem with the accurates. Big improvement over the original 2-speed series.

Is the PE5 bigger than the 500 accurate? The PE series of reels must be good if they can take all the punishment you give them.

One more note:

Do you guys ever sweat? If I wore blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt fishing this time of year, I'd be laying in a coffin at the end of the day. 58 days over 100 so far this year. I actually had ten drops of water hit my roof yesterday evening. I haven't seen that in over 4 months.
    BX2 500 has a little more line capacity than JM narrower PE5.

Frank put 300 yards of 100 lbs Daiwa Boat line ( actually they are PE8 (80 lbs)) and I can put 320 yards of Varivas PE6 with some room for topshot on my PE5.

It was cool yesterday and everyone looked for jackets on the water.

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Glad to see you, Dom and friends have another challenging and rewarding Day.

Kev

7. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Another great day on the water.

Despite slow fishing in CC Bay and the Stellwagen area for the most part, the fact that I trailer around lets me target these fish in different ports. The water temp out east is ideal for these bluefin, and despite the fish not coming to the surface much, they are there in numbers and respond well to jigging now. We had 4 solid fights with high triple digit fish, and a few other bumps and missed hits. This is world class tuna jigging, and only a short run to the grounds.

Good crew yesterday that put in their time weeding through a few dogfish and worked hard to get their bites. Kil, once again you amaze me with the ability to induce strikes whenever we mark a fish(you even saw a mark on the screen that I didnt think was worth targetting, and of course hooked a tuna) The new end game technique with the strange hand work and body movements was a real eye opener as well.

Anyone looking to tangle with latrge bluefin on jigs, now is the time to do so. The topwater bite will once again get hot later in September, making it difficult to jig while tuna crash all around the boat.:cool:

8. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

Great report and pics Kil.

Capt Dom do you have any spots open anytime soon?I saw you had room for yesterday but was unable to make it.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

It was cool yesterday and everyone looked for jackets on the water.

I pray for winter every single day. The extreme heat down here in South Texas has been brutal. It's never been this bad. Everything is dying. Look at the below pictures. One summer to the next. Green to brown. The bamboo in the rear of my back yard is now dead. Removing it will be tough as it is now 75' x 80'.:eek: Everywhere you walk all you hear is a crunchy sound form the grass drying out. Water restrictions are tough and just trying to keep your yard alive is expensive. I think my water bill was over $400 last month and I'm not definitely not trying to get "Yard of the Month".

The fishing in the GOM off Texas has suffered this year because of the lack of fresh water entering the bay system and the lack of seaweed. The salinity of the water is outrageously high. The only consistent fishing lately(since snapper season closed) is from the end of the jetties out to about 24 miles. It's almost dead from 25 miles to 80 miles offshore. That's why I turned down a couple of offers to go fishing this weekend. I'm tired of sweating and fishing in dead water. I haven't hear of a single tuna (either YF or blackfin) caught behind a anchored shrimp boat this year.

Even the shrimp taste a little salty. I bought twenty pounds off a shrimp boat last Sunday before heading back home. He told me that the shrimp hatch will be zero this year. No eggs laid. Salinity of salt is to high in the bay for hatching. Did you know that shrimp only live for nine months. They grow from tiny to jumbos in six months. Mother nature does help out because the eggs will go dormat and still hatch for up to three years. That's why there is always some shrimp year round.

You guys have had a great tuna year up East. I don't know if that is unusual for you, but I sure get jealous every time I see one of Dom's or Kil's post. I hope it continues for you guys. At least someone is having some action.

Attached Files:

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

mrbill....i sweat miserably as well. its painful! even in this time of year, i carry slickers when i head out up north. i may go to some on the south jersey canyons this friday and will bring the bibs and jacket. much nicer when the water is cooler :)

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

dom its killing me i cant wait to be back!!!

12. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Great report and pics Kil.

Capt Dom do you have any spots open anytime soon?I saw you had room for yesterday but was unable to make it.

I have another open boat trip Friday September 4th if interested, and every friday after that as well until they stop biting or nobody wants to tangle with them anymore. I also do private charters for up to 4 guys.

13. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I have another open boat trip Friday September 4th if interested, and every friday after that as well until they stop biting or nobody wants to tangle with them anymore. I also do private charters for up to 4 guys.

Last year I took my last fish the second week of November. I guess that means the season is at the mid point, with the best fishing still to come. :) :)

14. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

You guys have had a great tuna year up East. I don't know if that is unusual for you, but I sure get jealous every time I see one of Dom's or Kil's post. I hope it continues for you guys. At least someone is having some action.

Don't have to be, come hop a plane and come up here, I'll tell mother nature to put on the Air Conditioner on for you free of charge ;)
    Heck why not just move up here... hehe... would be nice to fish with more 360tuna guys

15. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Great job again kil! It really seems like the fishery is doing pretty well even with the continued sucess you and whoever you fish with up there!
    I wish I could be up there too!
    Count me in, and don't forget about sept 4th!!