360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my GOM topwater and subsurface setup. The rod is a CalStar GF 700M 20-50 Aftco Reel Seat, Aftco Gimbal, Fugi Guides, Custom Grips. Wrapped by a good friend in Cali. to match the limited edition reel:D I fish JB 60# with a Momoi 40# topshot.

Attachments

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Good color match and I love the reel colors. I am curious about two aspects of that outfit though and would love to find out your thoughts once you start using it. How do you find chugging poppers with the glass tip and does the 4.1 ratio make it difficult to pick up the slack line to get tension for the next chug? Which poppers are you running with that outfit?

·
5,457 Posts
Rod looks great, matches the reel perfectly. One thing though, your under gunned with the rod and over gunned with the reel IMO

d-a

G

·
i concur with d-a a twinspin 12 or even a 20 might be a better match for that rod. it is a very nice set up visually. good luck with the twinspin 30.....rick

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
D-a/mcgolfer- Thanks! Our thinking on this build was with 25-30lbs of max drag for the TwinSpin30 and if you keep in mind the 30% rule for your line the reel should be fished with 40-60# mono max IMO. 60#mono at 25% is 15lbs of ideal drag, 15lbs of drag is 50% of the reels max drag so for me the CalStar 700M was a perfect match for the reel, me and GOM tuna.

I have seen guys fish 100#spectra and 80#mono on the 30 buttoned down with XXH rods but most anglers hand the rod over to a buddy when fighting a big fish!! There the ones that complain about Accurate/Avet reels having to go back for monthly factory service also.... Go figure!!

·
5,457 Posts
D-a/mcgolfer- Thanks! Our thinking on this build was with 25-30lbs of max drag for the TwinSpin30 and if you keep in mind the 30% rule for your line the reel should be fished with 40-60# mono max IMO. 60#mono at 25% is 15lbs of ideal drag, 15lbs of drag is 50% of the reels max drag so for me the CalStar 700M was a perfect match for the reel, me and GOM tuna.

I have seen guys fish 100#spectra and 80#mono on the 30 buttoned down with XXH rods but most anglers hand the rod over to a buddy when fighting a big fish!! There the ones that complain about Accurate/Avet reels having to go back for monthly factory service also.... Go figure!!

The 30% rule is a good one to follow for Main line and/or leader depending on which one is the weakest, however there is no reason to use the 30% rule for a reels drag capacity. If its capable of 30lbs then I would fish it to 30lbs as needed AND be prepared to use it with the appropriate size line and leader. 95% of the tuna you will encounter in the gulf can be caught on 15lbs of drag, however your rod choice wont have the backbone to lift the tuna while in the death circle.

With all that being said, If your on a private boat have at it, but on a party boat like the Big E you are going to spend 35-45 minutes on getting in a fish that the guy next to you spent 4 or 5 minutes on.

d-a

1 - 8 of 8 Posts