GOM Party Boat Tackle Box

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by scubaarchery, Sep 9, 2020.

1. TomH

TomH Active Member

Barring any cuda issues you should be good on jigs. If you get anything else before you head out I'd recommend a couple more halcos. The pink chrome worked really well for my buddy who out fished me with MY pink chrome that I loaned him. I caught fish all night on a pilchard color. I saw a bunch come in on the fusilear. I managed to fish the whole night on one halco, but I only saw one cuda all night.

Tx_Balbuzard, Illy and K newton like this.
  2. Tx_Balbuzard

Tx_Balbuzard Active Member

Check 10-4. When in doubt halco out.

gotmuddy likes this.

3. phuongph

phuongph Active Member

Thanks @scubaarchery for the great video. Very informative.

One more tip to make your jigs glow, it they are not, is to use the glow in the dark tape. Very easy cut it out and tape to your jigs. The actions may change a little bit, but I think it should work well.
    https://amzn.to/3jxB54t

4. Tx_Balbuzard

@scubaarchery do you leave a loop at the bottom your chicken rig for a weight or do you find the combined weight of 3 2oz. bucktails is sufficient?

5. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I leave a loop and use one of the boat weights to hold the rig down...

Gonefishings and Tx_Balbuzard like this.
  6. Tx_Balbuzard

Awesome thanks Scuba!

7. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Boat weights? Scuba... you mean I don't need to haul my sinker bag with me and can get them on the boat??? for a reasonable fee maybe?

D-C

8. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Most boats will provide 8oz bank sinkers

Dobhar-Chu likes this.
  9. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Halco's should be rigged with Owner Zo-Wire or Decoy JS1 inline type hooks on the belly and tail

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  10. scubaarchery

They don’t charge you to use their weights and they generally will give you kingfish leaders and mono if you need it for leaders etc.

rwc3500, Illy and Dobhar-Chu like this.
  11. GOMFisherman

GOMFisherman Member

Thanks for the tips and video, for a newbie like me I found them very helpful and informative. Two quick questions:
    1> On your tackle box? What brandis it? I am looking for something large enough to stow all my Halco rigs that I jut bought.
    2> On the Halco hook swap, I have seen contrasting opinions on treble vs single, from your video it appears you go with the treble. Care to share your opinion on hook choice?

12. scubaarchery

1. The boxes I used came from Home Depot. They are double sided so I put poppers and swimbaits on one side and jigs and chunking hooks on the other. I can set it on the bench near where I’m fishing in case I want to switch something out.
    2. I went with trebles vs single hooks since these are smaller baits. I run single hooks on my larger bluefin baits when I am casting them for bluefin. I think it’s personal preference. They both work!

GOMFisherman likes this.
  13. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, they only have white/redhead, pilchard and chrome/pink as of Tuesday this week. Great price at $11.99 each though....

Gonefishings likes this.
  14. TomH

TomH Active Member

I should have bought them all last month when I was there. I could have made a killing selling them on Ebay!. They must have gotten more in because last time I was there they didn't have pilchard.

Gonefishings likes this.
  15. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Boy, ain't that the truth! Yeah they had about 6-10 each of those colors now.

Gonefishings likes this.
  16. scubaarchery

If they still have them can you get me 3 of each and I will PayPal you for them!

Gonefishings likes this.
  17. Illy

Illy Active Member

I’m going down there next week. I’ll grab them if no one else does

18. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Sorry Scuba, but I got back to Ft. Worth late Friday night, or else I would have...

19. turbohardtop

turbohardtop Active Member

how are you guys tying the Frenzy/flyer baits with a single treble in the rear? Are you crimping? Is it possible to use the Palomar knot on the treble with 80lb mono/fluorocarbon if I do not have a crimper?

20. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

I put a single hook up in the belly, secured with a tie wrap... and a treble stinger behind it off the back... I am not a palomar knot kinda guy, if you tie it right they are effective... if not the knot cuts itself... I used crimps on the ones I rigged... a loop through the big single hook crimped and another loop through the single hook to the treble in the back. also crimped I have not used it yet, tonight I leave on a trip and I am going to float it out there and play splashy splashy on top...