Go To Lure suggestions for my first $100...

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by red34, Sep 8, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I am gearing up for my first long range trip out of Freeport. I have the rods and terminal stuff taken care of but I’m stuck on what lures to get started with. I’ve been looking at poppers from OTI, Tuna Hunter, and Yo Zuri. Swimbaits from Yo Zuri, Rapala X-Raps, and the new Bombers. Please shoot me some model suggestions from what I’ve listed for yall’s go to baits.

I already have 2 rigged fliers, assorted diamond jigs, assorted Williamson jigs, and a couple Tsunami poppers.

Anyone use the Bass Pro Lazer Eye series baits? Offshore Angler Lazer Eye Saltwater Series - Magnum Z-Pop I would assume that these should at least be good enough if there are mostly blackfin busting the surface, as well as for back-ups to losing the nicer lures.

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I am gearing up for my first long range trip out of Freeport. I have the rods and terminal stuff taken care of but I’m stuck on what lures to get started with. I’ve been looking at poppers from OTI, Tuna Hunter, and Yo Zuri. Swimbaits from Yo Zuri, Rapala X-Raps, and the new Bombers. Please shoot me some model suggestions from what I’ve listed for yall’s go to baits.

I already have 2 rigged fliers, assorted diamond jigs, assorted Williamson jigs, and a couple Tsunami poppers.

Anyone use the Bass Pro Lazer Eye series baits? Offshore Angler Lazer Eye Saltwater Series - Magnum Z-Pop I would assume that these should at least be good enough if there are mostly blackfin busting the surface, as well as for back-ups to losing the nicer lures.

Tuna hunters, Yozuri poppers work well. Me I start with diamond jigs to get fresh bait on the boat. Then I switch to what ever jig weight I think I need.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

if you use the tuna hunters brand poppers, change the vmc hooks for some owner 4x 4/0 trebles. i lost a nice yft because of a straightened hook. i replaced all my hooks with the owners. oti's are good choice they will not fail on you. dont know for sure if the rapalas will hold up. as for the bps brand, they feel cheaply made and wouldnt trust it, you never know when a yft is among the blackfins.

4. red34

red34 Guest

These are the fliers I bought (1 blue and 1 pink) rigged with a single treble. Should I re-rig with a large single hook and the treble as a trailer or will this bee good enough? I was thinking a large Owner Jobu if I did change it.

Frenzy

[​IMG]

5. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

For the money, the Frenzy popper is tough to beat for GOM tuna. I would personally stay clear of the "cheaper" stuff. A lure that lasts 1 fish and costs $10 ultimately costs the same as the $40 lure that lasts for 4+ fish, and that $40 lure works better.

For the OTI stuff, I can't say enough about the Goanna Cruiser. Pencil poppers and stickbaits are my 2 favorite YFT lure types.

Large plastic swimbaits from Storm and Granddad's Tackle produce really well. They only stand up to 1 fish, but each lure is inexpensive.