GM/Chrysler/Ford

Discussion in 'Jokes and Funny Things' started by hatidua, Dec 10, 2008.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

lol, thats hilarious

2. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Well done and really funny!

3. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Bail outs remind me of drugs....

Just say no!

4. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

What is worse is it will be a total waste of money if they don't fire the CEO's and can the Unions so they can afford to compete.

6. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I bet the CEO's will get a fat Xmas bonus for making this all happen.....and will be back asking for more billion$ before Easter.

We all hear how this affects millions. Well, yeah, it does: every last one of us is paying for it. Dump 'em. Yeah, a bunch of people will be out of work, My Jeep won't get new parts, I'll buy a Toyota, and we'll all move along just fine :mad:

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Toyota and GM sold almost the exact number of vehicles last year.
    Toyota made $18 billion, GM lost $38 billion.
    I understand if GM goes under, so does the Auto Workers Union.
    Toyota will pick it up for 10 cents on the dollar and the auto industry will thrive.

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

They need to have them file chapter 11 bankruptcy and can the CEO's and drop the Unions. That is the only option I would be interested in. My business is down 65 % in the last year and a half and I don't see anyone bailing me out.

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Ouch Snagged, you sure know how to kick a man when he is down.

10. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

unions sure do suck unless of course if your in one, when you can make 50k plus a year, retire at 40, have no education, all for installing car doors all day long and being able to strike if you dont like what you get paid! just the other day on cnn there was a crying crying about how he was going to lose his pension and not be able to afford his kids...he retired at 40 something...can you imagine? unions need to be eliminated, and of course it doesnt help now that nancy pelosi is in favor as long as she can design them so they can be eco-friendly.

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Does anybody out there have any memory of the reason given For the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY during The Carter Administration? Anybody? Anything? No?

Didn't think so.

Bottom line . . We've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember.

Ready? It was very simple, and at the time everybody thought it very appropriate.

The Department of Energy was instituted August 4, 1977 TO "LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL." HEY, PRETTY EFFICIENT,.......HUH?

AND NOW IT'S 2008, 31 YEARS LATER, AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS NECESSARY DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR, THEY HAVE 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES, AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES AND LOOK AT THE JOB THEY HAVE DONE!

THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY: "WHAT WAS I THINKING?"

Ah yes, good ole bureaucracy. And now we are going to turn over the Banking System and Auto Industry over to them?.............. "God Help us."

And...52% of our population just voted for more of the same!

No wonder people are leaving the country.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

unions sure do suck unless of course if your in one, when you can make 50k plus a year, retire at 40, have no education, all for installing car doors all day long and being able to strike if you dont like what you get paid! just the other day on cnn there was a crying crying about how he was going to lose his pension and not be able to afford his kids...he retired at 40 something...can you imagine? unions need to be eliminated, and of course it doesnt help now that nancy pelosi is in favor as long as she can design them so they can be eco-friendly.

well, while i definitely agree on unions being a cancer in general to capitalism....i do feel bad for those workers individually. they are promised those pension benefits by their employers. as you said, in general they are not educated enough to be able to pick a diverse, healthy portfolio. these are blue collar guys who want to go work their shift and go home. they count on these benefits.

the reason i'm so hot to trot on pensions is that i'm a pension actuary so i see this BS all the time. i have a client whose pension funded status went from 111% at 1/1/08 to an estimated 65% at 1/1/2009 (major things happen at certain thresholds) bc their CFO invested the pension fund in 97% equities. the fact he still has a job is pretty ridiculous....0 accountability apparently.

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

well, while i definitely agree on unions being a cancer in general to capitalism.....

Unions are another form of capitalism in that it is a marketable product (labor) not goods.
    Somebody supplies labor and somebody uses it. The manufacture will still make a profit if they are managers and not a bunch of greedy assholes.

BTW: I owned at various times a dozen businesses and insisted the employees be in the union. It worked well as they were contracted to do things or they lost their jobs.

14. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

i do feel bad for those workers individually.

I think many of us do. Sadly, the choices by the guys in the suits have made it an industry that simply cannot compete with some of the foreign owned auto companies (primarily the Japanese).

Unfortunately for those counting on the pension, it's boiled down to a choice between A) hurt now, or B) hurt later. I don't see a fully funded pension on the horizon for any of them (or anyone counting on Social Security who is under 50 years of age).

As others have stated, nobody is bailing ME out.

This may have been posted before, and I suspect many here have seen it. For those that haven't:

A modern parable -

A Japanese company (Toyota) and an American company (Ford Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River

Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order; American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rowers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid-off one rower, halted development of a new canoe, sold all the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated rower was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles,) so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US , claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses.

Ford folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses...

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Unions are another form of capitalism in that it is a marketable product (labor) not goods.
    Somebody supplies labor and somebody uses it. The manufacture will still make a profit if they are managers and not a bunch of greedy assholes.

BTW: I owned at various times a dozen businesses and insisted the employees be in the union. It worked well as they were contracted to do things or they lost their jobs.

i see what you mean....just too often the red tape gets in the way. i know a few guys in unions and they joke about how its just about impossible to lose their job. if all were held accountable like you mentioned then thats another matter ;)

any union whose CBA is up in 2008/2009 is F-ed in terms of their benefits....at least from what I've seen so far...

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

great analogy, mark

i have a few clients who were relatively balanced at 1/1/08 and shifted their assets in the pensions around and are still more or less fine at year end. the one i mentioned earlier considers the pension play his "pet project" to quote him verbatim and is retiring in 2009 with an estimated $13M lump sum payment from their executive plan.

17. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

is retiring in 2009 with an estimated $13M lump sum

he'll be just fine.

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member