Glow in the dark paint

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by scubaarchery, Dec 12, 2017.

1. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Is there any glow in the dark paint that can be used to paint finished lures that won’t wash off when they are used in salt water?

2. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

If it don’t Glow. It don’t Go.

3. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

4. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

Eric the easiest thing that I've found is a can of glow in the dark spray paint from Home Depot and a can of clear coat spray paint from home depot. Contrary to what some people think sometimes the glow in the dark isn't the way to go. I have jigs with the dancing octopus glow skirts on the assist hooks and glow jig that sometimes don't get a hit while the orange Williamson is getting the crap knocked out of it. I try to use what is getting hit the most.

I have a diamond jig that has most of the chrome knocked off of it but the black fin tuna can't resist it. Go figure.

5. lawrencelee91

lawrencelee91 Junior member

I put glow in the dark tape from identi tape.com and then run clear epoxy over the top, only if I'm only accenting the belly with a strip. I thought jigskinz has a glow type skin. I did their recommended permanent install with epoxy under the skin before install over sardine jigs and they held up pretty good my last trip.

6. scubaarchery

Thanks guys, I will give something a try

7. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Orange is for pumpkins. Lol. Outside of Halloween. If it don’t Glow. It don’t Go. ;)

8. Bigcountry1219

Bigcountry1219 Active Member

I use water based paints on plugs all the time. I clear coat with envirotex lite over it and let them spin on a rotisserie to even out the epoxy.

9. Kim

I had to go to to Home Depot to pick up some supplies today, including some more spray paint for my glow in the dark lures. 20180110_152632.jpg 20180110_152806.jpg 20180110_180733.jpg

10. scubaarchery

Wow nice Kim! I will have to give that a try!

11. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I gotta Go get some Glow :)

12. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

I tried some like that last year or 2 years ago and it wasn't very good. I'll look for that same paint, looks great!!

13. Kim

It's real handy to have a UV flashlight to charge the lures and keep them bright.

Whalebreath likes this.
  14. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

Ahhhh, maybe that's it. I won't be using one on the boat so.......

15. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

I bought glow in the dark powder pigment from eBay, then mixed it into some Envirotex. I applied with little artist brush but it was too runny so it didn't stay where I put it. That said, it glows real well and I didn't use much. I use more next time. BTW - I researched online and most common bio luminescent color was blue, so that's what I bought.

Spear-jig.jpg

16. Cabanaboy

Cabanaboy Senior Member Fish Killer

Mix your glow powder with clear fingernail polish for more detailed glow pattern with a artist brush. It dries faster. Then Envirotex over that.

Whalebreath and flyguy like this.
  17. Striker Tackle

Striker Tackle Sponsors

We have these flashlights at our website www.strikertackle.com that work great for charging jigs at night.

fullsizeoutput_1f40.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1f2b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1f2c.jpeg

18. Kim

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that you should follow the directions on the cans of paint. It will take 5 or six thin coats sprayed at a distance of about 16 inches. Too close and it will make a mess, too far away and it will take a lot more paint.

ReelMe likes this.
  19. NBorg

NBorg Sponsors

For smaller jigs and lead/metal lures I have had good and very durable results with powder coat paints and a fluid bed for application. You can paints with glow in them or you can get the glow additive powders and make some super glow paint.

The main key is doing the cure in the oven afterwards or it just chips off.