360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rod with a rubber gimbal that I would like to replace with the "Perfection Aluminum Ball Gimbal". Is this difficult to do? I guess its just a matter of removing the rubber gimbal and glueing on the new one. What epoxy is used? Any suggestions? I need this done for a trip this weekend.

Ty

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some of those rubber gimbals are thought to remove , try heating it up with a heat gun. but be very careful , dont get to close to the blank. If this does not work try shaving it. There are several options in the market for glues Flexcoat 5 minutes glue is the most standard

Thanks. I have the heat gun, now just need the glue. Is there something I can get at Home Depot or Lowes?

·
675 Posts
I guess a 5 minutes 2 part epoxy glue could do the job.

I'd suggest you use something with a 30 minute or more pot life so you don't have to worry about it going off when you gettting it aligned.

The ball gimbals have a pretty good size ID so you will probably need to be build up the butt with tape. A couple on narrow bands of masking tape will work but IMO fiberglass mesh drywall tape that is full of epoxy is a much better choice.

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes good sense. I got the rubber gimbal off with the heat gun no problem. You were correct the ID of the rod vs the new gimbal do not match. The rod requires a gimbal with a 7/8" inner diameter.

Now I learned my lesson not to purchase shiny-shiny things without researching them first (yeah right).

·
2,753 Posts
Ty, its time to bring it to Sport Fishin' Outlet and let Harry take a good look.
It's possible that the rod guy has some skills to make it "perfect".

we can coordinate a visit there if you like

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ty, its time to bring it to Sport Fishin' Outlet and let Harry take a good look.
It's possible that the rod guy has some skills to make it "perfect".

we can coordinate a visit there if you like

Enoch I am in my car now (parked) just left there. Dropped off two of my jigging rods to have the gimbals replaced. I got great advice above but once I got to the tackle shop I decided to let the pros do it.

Ty

·
2,753 Posts
u are fast and dangerous

haha
nice job, lets see how they turn out!
Its nice to have a local guy to help out. literally down the street.

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to have my local tackle shop do the gimbal replacement for me.

I am very appreciative of all the speedy replies. Thats why I enjoy coming to this forum so much. The members are super helpful and display incredible sportsmanship.

Thanks again.

Ty

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice background :) :)

Anthony,

Thanks. I think that background is a good match for another rod I got FedEx today :)

·
Site Sponsor
1,504 Posts
Hipe NC trip works out good for you!

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
!!!Yes!!! , I was just thinking of that as I was typing..you should include her on the next photo , please:D :D

Anthony,

You ask and you shall receive.
Attached are two beauty shots of the Xzoga Taka-SA 500g custom spinning rods.

Attachments

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW!!! Sexy set up there. I also had it with the saragosa 18k , I think its the best match for that rod.
Lets see how she performs on your trip with those monsters Ajs , takes lots of pictures when she bends :):)

I really like the feel of that handle for Saragosa. The rod has a nice parabolic bend to it and the color scheme is just badass!

Oh yea... if my buddy Enoch is able to go then you can be sure we will take lots of photos and video of the AJ fights.

Oh yea... I guess this answers the other members question from yesterday if that rod was still available :)

Ty

·
1,646 Posts
Nice looking setups Ty! I was thinking about pulling the trigger on that xzoga! If I would have seen this thread a few days ago, I would have told you to just bring those rods with you to NC and I could have put the gimbals on Friday night.

Anyways, I'll be gettin a closer look at those setups this weekend. I think you'll be riding on our boat!

Mitch

·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice looking setups Ty! I was thinking about pulling the trigger on that xzoga! If I would have seen this thread a few days ago, I would have told you to just bring those rods with you to NC and I could have put the gimbals on Friday night.

Anyways, I'll be gettin a closer look at those setups this weekend. I think you'll be riding on our boat!

Mitch

Mitch,

Thanks. Thats nice to offer.
Well... you will get to see the Xzoga in action this weekend (if the weather holds up).

P.S.
So this is what my 300th post looks like. Which of course this mention of it will not make any sense after my next post. hahaha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts