360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a large amount of gimbals being produced for offshore rods with a broad range of colors. I have used most brands and believe that the most important feature is the "depth" of the hole within the gimbal.
There needs to be adequate "running length" to allow enough bonding area for a strong bond, as the gimbal will experience a geat deal of 'torque', at all times working and testing that bond.
My opinion is that the depth should excede the width of the hole by approx. 50%. I was surprised to find that two US mfgs. didnt in my opinion supply this.
The Aftco g3, usually used on rods rated between 50-120 lb. test, and the Perfection look alike both had inadequate depth. I was surprised to see that Perfections "Ball Gimbal" had only a 1 1/8" depth X 1 1/8" width. The problem here is that this gimbal at around 3 1/2" total length will experience more torque than the others, calling for at least another 1/8-1/4" depth.
I am presently dealing with an overseas outfit that will be producing a similar design. I dont have the specks yet, so I'm curious to see what they come up with.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Hve you come across any bond failures with the perfection items? If you have experienced failures then it may have involved some other factors like adhesive, prep or bushing. The gimball depth appears to be more then adequete. I would really love to see the statistics on the failures to see if the depth has any bearing at all. I wish perfection would bring out the same design in a couple of smaller sizes and in chrome plate

·
5,457 Posts
I would imagine that epoxy and filler material would have a greater bearing on strength than the actual depth of gimbal.

d-a

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hve you come across any bond failures with the perfection items? If you have experienced failures then it may have involved some other factors like adhesive, prep or bushing. The gimball depth appears to be more then adequete. I would really love to see the statistics on the failures to see if the depth has any bearing at all. I wish perfection would bring out the same design in a couple of smaller sizes and in chrome plate

Its not the mfgr that has the problem, it's the design. It stands to reason that more inside depth will give a greater glue bond.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Indeed, another 2 inches would give much more bond strength but the thing is I am not convinced that the current is lacking any at all. It will take more then 1 report of a bond failure to even start to convince me though. I reckon the perfection is a nice an original (as far as I know, I could be wrong) design and works and holds very well

·
1,334 Posts
I've been using the Perfection Ball Gimbals for my jigging rods w/o a problem. I usually use the flat ones for trolling rods. Maybe I will put a Perfection Ball on my next trolling rod and see how it does! I've heard of failures with various components not epoxied correctly, reel seat and gimbals spinning or falling off. I use fiberglass mesh drywall tape as a shim, loaded with tons of epoxy so it's a pretty solid bond. No masking tape shims here! I also really prep, score and wipe down the gimbal and reel seats with denatured alcohol and let dry to ensure a good bond.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been using the Perfection Ball Gimbals for my jigging rods w/o a problem. I usually use the flat ones for trolling rods. Maybe I will put a Perfection Ball on my next trolling rod and see how it does! I've heard of failures with various components not epoxied correctly, reel seat and gimbals spinning or falling off. I use fiberglass mesh drywall tape as a shim, loaded with tons of epoxy so it's a pretty solid bond. No masking tape shims here! I also really prep, score and wipe down the gimbal and reel seats with denatured alcohol and let dry to ensure a good bond.

Very good point, I believe a good ID running length to be around 1 1/4" -1 1/2 ". I dont think you need 2". But, longer helps with preparing the shims.
The ball gimbal mentioned had nearly the same ID as depth, it doesnt look good to me. There isnt another fitting in rod buidling [ferrules, butt caps, gimbals, tips} that normally doesnt require that the length of the glue area be approx 2 x what the width is. I agree. This gimbal doesnt have enough depth.

·
5,706 Posts
gimbals /buttcaps in service on a jigging rod rotate with vertical rod orientation before they are subjected to significant lengthways torque. radial torque is actually quite low . 1:1 depth/diameter is quite adequate to provide a glue surface area more than capable of the duty.
failures are indicative of:-
-poor surface prep.
- poor epoxy glue mixing.
- inadequate glueline thickness ( it should be 50 thou minimum).

2c

1 - 8 of 8 Posts