Giant Tuna fishing off NC Coast

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by John_Madison CT, Jan 18, 2009.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Just got back from a trip aboard a friends boat ("Nighthawk with Captain Mike Marro), who is fishing for Giant Tuna off Beaufort, NC. It's a very hard way to make a living. Anyway, this is the 2nd Giant of my life and I'm "hooked" forever.

This one was about 450lbs.. All video credits go to the "Wahoonbox" of Sportfisherman.com

BFT 4 2009 - WAHOONBOX

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

great fish way to go.

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Outstanding catch! Catching a bluefin like that has to be a thrill of a lifetime.

Congratulations!

4. Xiphius

Xiphius Member

Nice Fish! How much did it weigh? How deep was the water where you caught that fish?

5. John_Madison CT

The fish was 92" long and weighted about 450lbs.. We were fishing in 55' of water.

6. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Nice Fish, I want to go back to the OBX, and try again!!

7. Xiphius

Xiphius Member

The fish was 92" long and weighted about 450lbs.. We were fishing in 55' of water.
    . Unreel... when they come out of the Gulf of Mexico after spawning between April and June they are found in 3,000 to 6,000 feet of water allowing them to dump many a 80# tackle that is fortunate enough to tangle with the schools.

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

WOW 55' feet of water!

9. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

WOW 55' feet of water!

yep, either fishin inside the knuckle or near it, not very deep at all here, you have to do 15+ miles to get into semi-deep water here.

its 53-55' for a loooong ways :D

yeah, marty is a helluva fishermen, you were definatly on a boat w/ some experienced people.

we heard alot of chatter on the radio on saturday when we were out..

10. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Off NC 55ft. can get nasty quick; experienced some crazy "chop" for about an hour one day coming in from offshore Beaufort. Those tides mean alot in that area.

11. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

Off NC 55ft. can get nasty quick; experienced some crazy "chop" for about an hour one day coming in from offshore Beaufort. Those tides mean alot in that area.

heck yeah, outgoing ripping tide + some shoals = yikes!

:D

12. John_Madison CT

My goal someday is to try fighting one of these fish on stand-up tackle, Dennis Braid style. I know it can be done, but I suppose it's all about proper technique.

13. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

My goal someday is to try fighting one of these fish on stand-up tackle, Dennis Braid style. I know it can be done, but I suppose it's all about proper technique.

When I first started fishing them, we did all of them stand up. Joe Shutes used to run charters just for that, with almost a guaranteed hook up. But now they are pressured so much, there is no gaurantee.

If they close it at the end of Jan, then Feb might be a good time to try.