360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2,924 Posts
Let me be the first to congratulate you I know you have been patiently waiting for a long time. So how do they fight in your opinion because people talk them up like they are the fish version on Mike Tyson minus the ear incident lol

Congrats again

Glenn

·
178 Posts
Nice Pics! Haven't been their in several years, maybe it's time to plan another GT trip. What type of rod were you using. I broke one of my favorite GT sticks on that trip.

ED

·
2,835 Posts
Nice. I've only caught one GT in my life. You got five in one day?

Can't wait for your report. One thing for sure, you sweat. I love seeing other people sweating with their shirts all wet.:D Give us the temperature out there in Musadan on the day you were fishing. It's finally cooled down here in Texas. Only 91-94 as this weekends highs.:)

Congrats, great day on the water for you.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Kevin, If I can catch 5 GT with that size a day, I'll go without any hesitation. :) I don't think I can fish on the Big E with you in Oct as several groups are coming to fish Cape Cod and I have to take care of them.

·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
September 20 Report fishing
Ocean Active port of DIBBA northern province Oman

Wind 3 to 5 knots
Temps 98-110 deg f
Seas 1-2 ft open water, 1-3 ft in current rips

BACK GROUND.

In 2008 I knew I would be doing a project on the east coast of the UAE the following year. So besides the project it self I started to study other important things like were to stay and were to fish. Ocean Active kept coming up as a group that could provide what I was looking for. This was a sport fishing challenge not just a fishing trip or two. They target GT in the remote Musadan in the Strait of Hormuz. In late 2008 I contacted them to introduce my self and start a dialogue. I also mentioned to Kil and Glenn my plans.
In Dec of 08 I stopped by Kil's shop and picked up my first GT lures. Only 3!!
Heru poppers and a Heru stick bait. March of 09 I am now in the UAE and busy kicking off a project. For the first 2 months I had no time to get away to fish also portions of the Arabian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman had been plagued by a Red tide.
In May I started to see a window where I could fit in a trip. I was to be one of the last trips of the booking season. But problems with the boat forced cancellation of this trip. Which in hind sight may have been a good thing as daily temps and humidity were getting tough? And I was allowed more time to get my tackle in shape.
: )
TACKLE.
Sámi with APS recommended either a Smith Kehoryo or Smith Tokara 60 for catching GT in this area. Since I like twins I got both Keyolhu for working stick baits and the Tokara for poppers. Reels also wound up being a Saltiga Dog fight, an Expedition and a lower speed Saltiga Z6000 as back up. Reels were spooled with JB one line 100lb solid and 3 back up spools with JB 100, 65 and 50lb line. Optional Saltiga bling was added to the reels just for grins. All six spools were taken down drag disks cleaned and Fishermans Drag grease added. With the assistance of internet Global sourcing (LOL) I wound up with some 30 true GT lures on hand and another 40 to 50 plugs intended for later US fishing. Solid, split rings and Leaders were Varias and Fisherman. Hooks were mostly GT Recorder barb less for the true GT.lures.
Tackle suppliers were Kilson's Jigging World, Anglers Pro shop, Plat Japan and 360 Tackle. I now had about a Grapefruit crate and Potato sack of terminal tackle and lures…….And felt good to go.

TACKLE RIGGING.
Through this summer I was rigging lures and building leaders ect. Wind on and P. R.
Leaders were built and tested. I did not like how this was going. With 100lb braid main line and 200 to 300 lb mono leader the wind on knots were ripping through the guides when practice power casting these large lures. A quick talk with Ocean Active confirmed. No wind on needed. Just a short Bimini and 4-5 ft bite leader connected with an Albright type knot. Casting is done with the knot out side the eyes of the rod.
Cool…felt good to go

Attachments

·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HEADING OUT.
I met my Ocean Active GT guide Friday after noon to confirm trip details.
And were set to meet and go at 5:30 am Sunday. The port of Dibba is a simple Arab fishing port filled with small local pangas and Dhow live aboard fishing boats.
My guide is named F. C. and is from Durbin S. A. Since we met a few days before we knew the plan and easily headed out at first light for the 70 mile run to the top of the Musadan. Their boat is a 40ft center console with twin 250hp 4 strokes, Tee Top rocket launchers ect.. Cruising speed was 28knots.

FISHING AND CASTING
After an hour run we see birds working over small busting "Long Tail" tuna which we will see all day long. About 15 miles from the top we stop to judge the currents and to drift and fish 2 rock pinnacles. The current is good the bait is present and getting blasted by some predators. But the wind, even light and the tide are against each other were we needed to drift making for a bouncing and rolling drift. I was having trouble getting footing to make a proper cast and getting the lure to work like I want in this chop..
So after 30 minuets into fishing I'm sweating like Mr. Bill, both my shoulder sockets are burning. I'm hot, fatigued and need to adjust technique So as we move to the very top, I smoke my last cigarette for the next several hours, pound a bottle of water and pour another on me to cool down. I realize on the pitching deck I can't cast and work the lure from the same location. So at the next drift when casting to port I back to starboard set up launch the lure and step to port
while the lure is in flight. This works! Lures are back to flying and my knees are braced against the port side padding to work the lures.

Attachments

·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THE STRAIT
When we made it to the top and turned into the fiords of the Straight of Hormuz
I got familiar feeling as when seeing the Southern Cross in western Aus or the Northern lights in the Russian artic for the first time. These things have been here for ever but in perspective not many will ever see them.

Attachments

·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Every where looks fishy to me, points, current, bait ect. But F. C. picks the spots carefully, moves the 40 ft boat into strong current quietly. And we are fishing.
9:30 a boil behind a dark grey Craft Bait popper. 9:45 maybe 2 more boils and before 10:00 first GT hooked and landed. 20 lbs or so. Pulled 25 lb of drag for a bit sounded and was landed in short order but pulling all the way.
Photographed, released and thanked for attacking my lure.
10:20 another fish on but off in 30 seconds or so. Next hour the 2nd GT was landed.
With another 6 to 8 boils. F. C. and I are having a great time.
Around noon we had made a move further in to the top. Fished a seamount that rises
From some 160 feet to 20 feet, more boils here. Then over to a rock pinnacle
where I loose my only lure of the day. "Craft Bait Popper in Grey". A long cast down current but up wind Let the line cross the rocks and the lure snags on some old rope a top the rocks it is cut off and left forever. So time to rerig. F. C suggest something flashy for mid day for the top water stick bait a Gold Fish pattern Craft Bait and Kil's supplied Heru GT Maniac are volunteered for service. We move back to fish other cliff points and the new popper brings more strikes and is eaten by a 35 lb fish. This fish pulls drag a few times sounding and resounding, my arms are mush again. Photos are taken and released.
I have been through more than a dozen bottles of water by now but my joints are loose my body has adjusted and I am listening to it. Maybe 20 min casting and 5 min, cooling and hydrating while moving to a new location. F. C. and I agree that when there is only 1 fisherman he has to do all of the casting….

So the boils and near misses continue from a few more points some of these GT's
are of the large size too. Big wide bodies seen coming close to the hooks but not in contact with them. About 2:30 we pull to a point with a smooth strong current and 1st cast a big flash on the 2nd or third pop. 2nd cast 50 meters farther into the drift, cast, pop , hook up, drag pulling F. C. smoothly motors to deeper water as before but yes a bigger class fish. It may have sounded 90 120 feet before I do a rail job on it. With spinning gear that is with the reel out side the boat of course. I palm the spool and we are at a stand still for a few mins.
10 mins later the fish is boat side and photos are taken. F. C. pull out his tape and own camera this makes me feel good about this fish. I am a 240lb fire plug for size and shape so this fish fits nicely in my lap as I can't hold it up for photos.
F. C. measurements come out to less than 60lb but more than 50lb or a 25kg class fish. All is good it's close to 3 o'clock & 75 nautical miles from port and time to move in that direction.

Attachments

·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heading Back
Through out the day F. C. and I talked about a lot of stuff fishing and what not. One thing I mentioned was the belief in no bananas on a fishing trip and that I even passed on a Banana split the night before just not to chance having bananas in my bowels and on this trip. F. C. had not heard of that
superstition. Well as we where heading back he pulls out his lunch kit and it has a chunk of roast an apple and 2 bananas in it. I told him they must be some other type of exotic Arabian fruit. We agreed, I still did not eat one but had a cigarette in stead.
On the way back and out side the straight we stop at one of the first rocks fished that morning. The tide had switched and was with the wind so the so the current was strong but smooth. The top water bait is thrown. And 3 twitches later swoosh fish on. 15 mins later my arms are mush again and I can barely hold up a 40-45lb GT for photos. 5 GT's one day.
The day finished with a good trip back to the port and a visit to Ocean Active's villa.

Larger GT's are landed here. even over 50 kg and Ocean Active can tell you about their fishery if you wish ask, they are on the web.

I am not the one to ask as I am still a rookie. 

Is the journey half of the reward to achieving a goal maybe?
Did I accomplish my goal? For sure.
Would I fish this trip again? For sure.
In closing.
I can't say how much I enjoyed fishing with F. C.

Kev.

Attachments

·
2,835 Posts
So after 30 minuets into fishing I'm sweating like Mr. Bill, .

I'll take that as a complement.:)

Fishing all day and casting in that heat will dehydrate the best of us. To me, if there is a lack of wind (like this weekend offshore Texas) you cannot keep dry. Even though I only hit the scales around 165#'s I still sweat.:eek:

Great report. You need to go out again while you're still in that part of the world.

Is that area dry? By dry, I mean could you have beer on the boat.

Does F.C. speak English?

·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll take that as a complement.:)

Fishing all day and casting in that heat will dehydrate the best of us. To me, if there is a lack of wind (like this weekend offshore Texas) you cannot keep dry. Even though I only hit the scales around 165#'s I still sweat.:eek:

Great report. You need to go out again while you're still in that part of the world.

Is that area dry? By dry, I mean could you have beer on the boat.

Does F.C. speak English?
At a Buck 65 I must swet 1.5 times more than Mr Bill.:eek:
Another trip is planned also. Either for GT or take my staff out for Dorado\Tuna.

That option had always been there. But Gt was my first goal.

F. C. and all O.A. staff are expats from South Africa, and understand Texan English. But speak their English . :D

As far as beer in the UAE with respect, it is like a East Texas Dry County.

It is not provided\sold as part of a charter. But BYOB in a brown bag is ok.
And off sale from most any hotel is licsened. Some are equal to US prices
or less. Pm for detals.

Oh and their company tackle is all Accurate spinners :cool:

Kev

·
1,095 Posts
Thanks for the great report. Real nice fish.

Sounded like you had this well planned out; did you use primavera software to detemine the critical path? LOL!!

Cheers! ..... butch

1 - 20 of 31 Posts