360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Giant Squids (Humbolts) are here again in San Diego and Seaforth Landing has already caught some. When I read that report I instantly made a decision to go the next day. :)
It was a short trip only and we call it Twilight fishing from 4pm-10pm only.
I brought my OTI G3 400 gram and 600 gram (approx because I never weight it) Squid Jig.
It took 1 hour and a half to get to the fishing ground so basically we only have 3 hours max fishing time.
As soon as we arrived at the spot, everybody dropped their jig, Not long after I dropped my jig I'm on, It felt kinda like a Tug of war cause squid don't run it just pulled and hold.
The bite was pretty good in the first 2 hours but slow down after that.
I managed to land 4 and lost 1 at the boat side and my buddy got 3 (average giant squid weight 30lbs), not bad at all for 3 hours or less fishing time and the ocean was so flat no wind or swell it was really an enjoyable night. We really had a great time and had a different experience than regular fishing :D

Attachments

·
1,703 Posts
Very cool. So its those sets of barbs on the jig, no hooks, that the squid tangles itself on? What type of natural bait is that jig trying to imitate or is it just the squids curiosity that attracks them? And lastly, what is the meat like on those giants?

·
1,201 Posts
Would love to see the beak on those suckers (pun intended :) ).

I have one in my fishing room, I'll try to get a photo of it posted later. Those are good for bait (have yet to hear of anyone coming up with a recipe that makes them decent table fare for humans) but I'm sure the very next post will be about how truly delicious they are....

It's one per drop pre-sunrise in Baja - and then slice them into little pieces to chum up the YFT:

·
28 Posts
This recipe was given to me by an old Mexican squid fisherman. It has been passed down for decades:

1) First, clean the squid, by cutting a single slit from head to tail. Remove all guts and the long spine bone.
2) Cut the head off the squid and save the tentacles for bait.
3) When finished cleaning, you should have a single, large sheet of inch thick calamari steak. Take this large sheet of meat and lay it on the nearest roadway. Get in your truck and repeatedly drive back and forth over the squid. Repeat as necessary.
4) Pick squid up off roadway and throw into the trash.
5) Remove tire from truck and eat it. It will be softer than the squid, but will taste just like it.
6) Add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 8.

·
1,323 Posts
This recipe was given to me by an old Mexican squid fisherman. It has been passed down for decades:

1) First, clean the squid, by cutting a single slit from head to tail. Remove all guts and the long spine bone.
3) When finished cleaning, you should have a single, large sheet of inch thick calamari steak. Take this large sheet of meat and lay it on the nearest roadway. Get in your truck and repeatedly drive back and forth over the squid. Repeat as necessary.
5) Remove tire from truck and eat it. It will be softer than the squid, but will taste just like it.

LMAO. I've heard of similar recipe for false albie. Good one.

·
1,703 Posts
Ha! Whatever happened to the cedar plank method? Surely they cant be inedible as there is a lot of tasty squid.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very cool. So its those sets of barbs on the jig, no hooks, that the squid tangles itself on? What type of natural bait is that jig trying to imitate or is it just the squids curiosity that attracks them? And lastly, what is the meat like on those giants?

The jig has 4 sets of barbless hook and glow in the dark sinker, it imitate the smaller squid (Giant Squid are cannibals they eat their own kind), so when we jig it slowly up and down in the water column the squid grab it with its tentackles and tangles itself :)

I made calamari steak last night and it tasted good especially when still hot :D :D

·
2,924 Posts

That is some funny shit right there

1 - 20 of 28 Posts