360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1,025 Posts
It looks cold, but I have some interest. Please keep me informed.

Scott

·
804 Posts
Never chased Bluefin in N.Z., but went cod fishing off Milton in January (their summer) and it was freaking cold. It was cloudy, gray and windy for the two weeks I was there. The spray blowing off the front of the boat felt like steel bearings. Quite possibly the coldest days of my life, and I lived in Tabernash, Colorado for 5 years, which is know to be one of the coldest places in the lower 48. Caught probably thirty different kinds of cods and rockfishes. If you are going all the way over there to fish you may as well hit the bay of islands in the north, I bet you could slay the huge yellowtails on jigs, maybe even poppers.

·
580 Posts
*Drool* Yellowtail is another on my list of fish to catch. I always have it in sushi restaurants, but I can only imagine how good fresh tastes.

·
2,753 Posts
I feel I have to go before too late. :)

I trust you will be in good health next year. good enough :D

Kil, I will chase with you in NZ as I will also chase with you in Cape Cod for these giant BFT's.

·
178 Posts
I feel I have to go before too late. :)

Man, you hit it on the head! Though I am trying to plan my first Komodo trip for next year, a 200kg+ BFT would be just as good! Mark me down! Does anyone know what type of gear to use?

ED

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, you hit it on the head! Though I am trying to plan my first Komodo trip for next year, a 200kg+ BFT would be just as good! Mark me down! Does anyone know what type of gear to use?

ED

Nobody is better than Dennis Braid as far as giant fishing with standup is concerned.
But I'd rather challenge with genuine jigging setups as Mogi did with Stella 20000. :)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cost?
They normally charge $200NZ ($136US) per hour with minimum 48 hours.
When you can get out, 48 hours are long enough as they don't travel far and it is not unusual 20 -30 giant are behind a dragger.
But as I said before, the problem is persistant high wind.

·
2,835 Posts
But as I said before, the problem is persistant high wind.

High wind means water in face. Does that mean I would have to pack something besides shorts?:D I think I've only fished with long pants a couple of times in my life.:eek:

$6528 per 48 hours. Is that the total for the boat W/O tip? Is that a six pack charter or less?

·
2,924 Posts
Strap me in baby, Give me a 4'8" short stroke bent butt and a 80w, I want one on stand up gear then I will switch to spin. Im having a custom spin rod for the occasion. Im there 200%

·
580 Posts
HEy Kil,

Any particular difference between jigging them at NZ vs say somewhere in the Carolinas? For giants in Dec onto Feb? Maybe we can at least practice like last time ;)

·
2,835 Posts
Strap me in baby, Give me a 4'8" short stroke bent butt and a 80w,

Here's a video of a guy off Alabama with a 700# fish using a chair. It took 7 hours.:eek: It took forever to get the fish in the boat. Almost comical.
Be careful what you which for.:D

YouTube - 700 lb. Bluefin Tuna

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$6528 per 48 hours. Is that the total for the boat W/O tip? Is that a six pack charter or less?

There is no tip system in NZ, but service is much bette than in the US.
The price is all inclusive including foods on the boat.
Most charter boats fishing giant are over 50', but they limit to 6.

·
2,924 Posts
Here's a video of a guy off Alabama with a 700# fish using a chair. It took 7 hours.:eek: It took forever to get the fish in the boat. Almost comical.
Be careful what you which for.:D

YouTube - 700 lb. Bluefin Tuna

I saw the video before, and your right, Im sure after the first 30 minutes I will be wishing I was somewhere else but confidence is everything and with some luck I have no doubts I can accomplish it. My background is stand up fishing with a harness.

This is one of my goals for next season

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Glenn, stand up gear will be too easy for you :). Spinning gear very doable as you have experienced and stamina to do it.

I fought one 93" bluefin on stand up gear, 50 narrow and 5'2" curved butt stand up rod. I had him close to the boat and almost get a wrap on the leader in 30-45 minutes unfortunately with few tail kick off he go. I believe I had him between leader range for more than 3 times.

One hour later my harness come undone and I had a bad cramp on my leg and had to pass the rod and Rick from GA and the mate finish the fight for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts