Getting your reels ready for jigging

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by moonsoft, Jan 17, 2009.

1. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

I havn't found a post that completely covers this so i thought i would open one up and get some experienced opinions about it, here's what i have questions about

------------------------------------------------------

1) How much line should I have on my jigging reel, in regards to using braid with mono/floura top shoot or wind on leaders

2) What backing material and how to start your spool, in respect to jigging or deep jigging (400-600')?

3) I have a diawa saltist 50 do I need to grease this reel, are there any preparations i need to make to get the best performance/protection for my new equipment?

4) Rod claps, should I? and how tight to make them, using a hopper jigging rod

5) Handle position, i have 2 positions for the handle, 4.9:1 ger ration use the cranking power or speed (ie: shorter stroke) position?

6) Gloves? should I get some if so for what and which hand?

7) Spooling at Bass pro or should you do this yourself?

2. gman

gman Senior Member

I havn't found a post that completely covers this so i thought i would open one up and get some experienced opinions about it, here's what i have questions about

------------------------------------------------------

1) How much line should I have on my jigging reel, in regards to using braid with mono/floura top shoot or wind on leaders

2) What backing material and how to start your spool, in respect to jigging or deep jigging (400-600')?

3) I have a diawa saltist 50 do I need to grease this reel, are there any preparations i need to make to get the best performance/protection for my new equipment?

4) Rod claps, should I? and how tight to make them, using a hopper jigging rod

5) Handle position, i have 2 positions for the handle, 4.9:1 ger ration use the cranking power or speed (ie: shorter stroke) position?

6) Gloves? should I get some if so for what and which hand?

7) Spooling at Bass pro or should you do this yourself?

1.Fill it up to the brim it will pack down tight after the first several drops use about a 10-15' leader
    2. No need for backing fill it up solid braid
    3. No clue i dont even look inside my reels
    4.No need to use a clamp IMHO
    5. I always use low gear
    6. Gloves are great reduces blisters and cuts, both hands
    7. If your buying line there have them spool it tight for you

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

If you open a reel up to service it before the warranty is up you will void the warranty, so I don't suggest doing that. Fill the reel up to the max. I always use a clamp ( just me ) I have seen reel seats fail. As a matter of fact I was with a buddy this summer and his 6/0 slammed in to his bottom guide so me and another friend secured the reel and he caught a 25# gag. The rod however is done for the reel seat crapped out. I use the handle in the longest position for cranking. I don't use gloves. Reguardless where you spool the reel. GET IT TIGHT.

4. papio

papio Senior Member

2) Use Flexx-Rap or tape on your spool before loading braid to prevent slipping.

5) I like longer handle for power and comfort.

7) either way always spool braid tight.

Hopper is great economic choice. Good luck!

5. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

2) Use Flexx-Rap or tape on your spool before loading braid to prevent slipping.

5) I like longer handle for power and comfort.

7) either way always spool braid tight.

Hopper is great economic choice. Good luck!
    I went ahead and sprang for the larger of the rods, i beleive this one is rated for 200-600 lure weights, a little stubby but still seems to be REALLY LIGHT!!

Now I'm working on fitting out a bait catcher.

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

moonsoft what rod did you get. Name and model?

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I went ahead and sprang for the larger of the rods, i beleive this one is rated for 200-600 lure weights, a little stubby but still seems to be REALLY LIGHT!!

Now I'm working on fitting out a bait catcher.

You will know how you really feel about the rod after your done ripping up a jig through 300ft of water. :D

8. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

You will know how you really feel about the rod after your done ripping up a jig through 300ft of water. :D

I got the Hopper HOPC 600FS