360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fished Panama, Costa Rica, and MX more than a few times. I've never been questioned or taxed on gear at the airport, but on a recent trip to Loreto/MagBay MX, I overheard a group talking about how the group got taxed over $500 for their gear (their flight was international from US to Loreto MX on Alaska Airlines). I'll say that when fishing in MX, I usually fly out of CDX/Tijuana, so its not considered an international flight. I've also read and heard of other groups getting taxed at the airports.

In July, we are taking a trip to Colombia and I'll be taking a lot of gear to set up my buddies that are meeting me there. I'm concerned that there might be a possibility of getting taxed.

Any stories or advice on what to do or not to do to avoid getting taxed for gear? I won't be taking anything in new boxes or with tags, assuming they'll want to tax anything that they might think I'm taking to re-sell.

Advice and recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

· Registered
165 Posts
I’ve flown to quite a few destinations over the years but I was never taxed or questioned about fishing gear . Most of the time I was asked about the coolers with fish . It is possible that something might have changed recently since the administration is trying to crack down and tax any source of income or revenue (remember those new 87.000 IRS guys they just hired this year ?)

· Registered
81 Posts
I know when I first hunted Canada, the guide advised me to fill out some form that listed my expensive assets, guns, cameras, laptop, etc. and go get it notarized so I wouldn't get taxed or harassed by US customs coming BACK into the states. Different, just wanted to share.

· Registered
21 Posts
We travel to Mexico frequently to fish, and while we've never had issues related to taxes, others have told us they've been questioned when they've brought more than 4 rods or 4 reels -- and in some cases forced to pay a seemingly arbitrary fee. Both Mazatlan and Culiacan airports.

They have also become stricter in recent years about bringing reels and/or multi-piece rods as carry-on luggage. At this point we carry on our reels from US to Mexico, but check them through (and hold our breath) on the return trip.

· Registered
21 Posts
Never heard of that in my life. One thing if you’re shipping into a country but quite another when it’s part of your checked luggage associated to you as a traveler. Odd
I'm guessing they've had issues with people bringing back items for sale (jewelry, etc.) in their personal luggage and not declaring them -- and perhaps fishing tackle is low-hanging fruit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts