Getting into the Cape Cod tuna scene....

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MSkiff2001, Nov 4, 2009.

1. MSkiff2001

MSkiff2001 Junior member

Im looking into getting into the Cape Cod Tuna scene. A friend suggested I join here to get some good info. So here it goes.......I have a 20 ft cc that we will be trailering up. My main question is about the gear. I prefer to buy a higher quality spinning reel rather than have one blow up on a fish or not last as long. So my question is, is it worth it to buy a reel such as the Shimano Spheros, Saragosa, or Penn? Will it put up to the beating the fish will put on them or would it be worth my while to go with an Accurate or high end Shimano. Any and all advice will be great.

Next is the Jigging setup, I do have a Shimano Torium 30. Im curious as to whether or not it will be able to handle a nice BFT or should I gear towards something a bit different.

2. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Im looking into getting into the Cape Cod Tuna scene. A friend suggested I join here to get some good info. So here it goes.......I have a 20 ft cc that we will be trailering up. My main question is about the gear. I prefer to buy a higher quality spinning reel rather than have one blow up on a fish or not last as long. So my question is, is it worth it to buy a reel such as the Shimano Spheros, Saragosa, or Penn? Will it put up to the beating the fish will put on them or would it be worth my while to go with an Accurate or high end Shimano. Any and all advice will be great.

Next is the Jigging setup, I do have a Shimano Torium 30. Im curious as to whether or not it will be able to handle a nice BFT or should I gear towards something a bit different.

Well, you have come to the right place! I personally would suggest a Shimano Stella FA or SW or a Daiwa Saltiga for casting to Tuna. You are probably going to get several different answers to this question though.

A Torium 30 is probably on the light side for BFT jigging. If you like Shimano's, look to something more like a Trinidad 40, 40N or 50.

3. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

your days may be limited due to boat size, so I'd say spend the cash and get an Accurate Boss for jigging....Stella for casting.....and a tiagra 50wlrs for trolling. That's one for each type of fishing and will make sure you are good to go.

if too much cash, get the tiagra, but downsize your stells to a saragosa and the boss to a saltist 50 or something like that.

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

if you have the budget go top end.
    there have been alot of guys using the saragos and cheaper conv reels.
    if you are not fishing everyday and abusing your stuff. you should be ok.

it sounds like there are some BIG fish up there.
    and it may not matter what you use.

5. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

My advice unless you are certain of your commitment or have more $$$ than sense that you start with a Saragossa (this coming from someone that just dropped $1500 on a rod and reel as a gift from others). It will not blow up on the first fish and will land many before it fails. If you blow it up on a 300lber then WOW what a great story and experience you would have had.

Now, if that is the end of the world, go Stella. If not, the worst case scenario is that you get it repaired to as good as new condition by Shimano and then sell it for 75% of what you paid for it on this or other boards and use the cash towards an upgrade.

Cape Cod is in your backyard with repairs easily available. I bought my set-up for my rare trips overseas to fish where a gear failure could be a $5k vacation failure and repairs and replacements can only be obtained back home. Ultimate reliability in Rod and Reel are more than worth it in those cases.

6. MSkiff2001

MSkiff2001 Junior member

Thanks for all the replies. It will be a tough decision. If a reel such as a Saragosa will do the trick and be able to land some fish than maybe it wouldnt be worth it to spend the money on the high end reels. The thing I dont want to happen is having to do a reel rebuild after every fish or having the reel at the shop and not on the boat. If the Saragosa can handle a season of fishing the that would be the choice.

Is the Accurate or Stella a reel that I can depend on for durability and ability to land these fish without blowing up and not have to worry about as much???

Granted the weather is somewhat favorable, I would probably be able to make the run to CC at least 3 times a month. Thats the reason why I would like something that can handle that CC Bay has to throw at it.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you can afford, go with the best reels available. You'll not regret it.

8. hamptonsurf

However, you do not HAVE TO get the best of everything. You can certainly be in the game with what alot of people call second tier equipment. Don't let that scare you away from diving in, especially if it means more $$$$ for gas to get out there. Even this year, with HUGE numbers of fish, many people only catch a few fish in a year.

9. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. It will be a tough decision. If a reel such as a Saragosa will do the trick and be able to land some fish than maybe it wouldnt be worth it to spend the money on the high end reels. The thing I dont want to happen is having to do a reel rebuild after every fish or having the reel at the shop and not on the boat. If the Saragosa can handle a season of fishing the that would be the choice.

Is the Accurate or Stella a reel that I can depend on for durability and ability to land these fish without blowing up and not have to worry about as much???

Granted the weather is somewhat favorable, I would probably be able to make the run to CC at least 3 times a month. Thats the reason why I would like something that can handle that CC Bay has to throw at it.

With Accurate or Shimano Stella you have the World's finest and most dependable spinning reels yet crafted by human hands bar none. They can land any fish that can be stopped with 50lbs of drag and ~500yards of line and will perform at that level longer than Saragosa class reels without question.

That said, proper maintenance and care are important for any reel and they can fail if salt water gets inside them or they are otherwise abused.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

With Accurate or Shimano Stella you have the World's finest and most dependable spinning reels yet crafted by human hands bar none. They can land any fish that can be stopped with 50lbs of drag and ~500yards of line and will perform at that level longer than Saragosa class reels without question.

That said, proper maintenance and care are important for any reel and they can fail if salt water gets inside them or they are otherwise abused.

Johns on mark, honestly the shimano stella is worth every penny and will reward you. There were too many saragosas that dies this year up there. Im not a fan of the twinspins either

11. hamptonsurf

Twin spin is the worlds greatest surf fishing reel....not necessarily offshore/tuna. The Saltiga 6500 would be your other BEST option.

12. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Look for a stella fa over the winter if you cant afford the new one, I found a decent deal last year.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The Cape seems to have been on fire this year as far a tuna fishing. I was asking a friend last weekend if he would join me to fish Cape Cod. He told me that we would get laughed at because we don't have a Boston Twang and our South Texas accent will only get us in trouble.:confused:

This might sound unreal, but this guy will only go with me if we do a few things on his "To Do" list. Most of the list is rather bizarre and I'd rather not get into it. For me to go with this guy I need to have a few questions answered. This is not a joke. I really need these questions answered.

My questions to you who live or frequent the Cape are:

1) Are the people in the area friendly?
    2) Do they have a sense of humor?
    3) Do they have an open container law while driving?
    4) If the above answer to (3) is yes, can you have an open container if
    you hire a cab or limo?
    5) Are there any "Gentleman's" clubs in the Cape?
    6) Are the tuna still present until Thanksgiving?

14. gman

gman Senior Member

The Cape seems to have been on fire this year as far a tuna fishing. I was asking a friend last weekend if he would join me to fish Cape Cod. He told me that we would get laughed at because we don't have a Boston Twang and our South Texas accent will only get us in trouble.:confused:

This might sound unreal, but this guy will only go with me if we do a few things on his "To Do" list. Most of the list is rather bizarre and I'd rather not get into it. For me to go with this guy I need to have a few questions answered. This is not a joke. I really need these questions answered.

1) Are the people in the area friendly? YES
    2) Do they have a sense of humor? YES of course they do they root for the Red Sox
    3) Do they have an open container law while driving? YES
    you hire a cab or limo? NOT sure here is link http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/New-fact-sheet03/OpenContainer.pdf
    5) Are there any "Gentleman's" clubs in the Cape? Not in Green Harbor to my knowledge but Im sure you can find some within a short distance
    YES my last fish came the day after thanksgiving last season

Let me know if your going up there

15. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

I am not friendly at all Glenn :)

16. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

you hire a cab or limo?

1) Depends on your definition of friendly:p
    2) Depends on what type of sense of humor you have:confused:
    3) Yes
    4) Yes
    5) No, But Ri is a short drive, and they have the worlds best gentlemans clubs..anything goes for a price.:cool: :eek:
    6) Yes usually

17. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Tell him what he wants to hear, then let him find out that they are all rude, the women are urgliy, its a dry county after you get there....cause it won't matter much once you catch that Blue of a lifetime. J/K

18. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

you hire a cab or limo?

What the hell kind of question is that you dumb ass, of course we’re friendly!!
    Sure we laugh a lot when a bunch of red necks show up on the cape and give them chit.
    Nope, in fact you see a lot of kegs tied to the roof of cars on the cape.
    you hire a cab or limo?
    Yup, there are plenty in P-Town.
    I don’t think tuna eat turkey

:D :D :D :D :D

Better edit this before someone thinks I'm serious....................

The cape is great of season. You have all the down to earth locals then.
    Very strict on open containers so be very careful...................No cabs either but limos are OK
    One club that I'm aware of is Zacharys in Mashpee and Dom is CORRECT. The RI area has great gentlemens clubs
    Coss our fingers on tuna still around on Thanksgiving. Water temps around 52 now. Hopefully it stays in that range for a while.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

unless you know the spots and how you're fishing, it'd probably serve you well to book a day fishing with dom or one of the other experienced captains up there. one day talking to them and getting some pointers might save you some skunks.

20. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

unless you know the spots and how you're fishing, it'd probably serve you well to book a day fishing with dom or one of the other experienced captains up there. one day talking to them and getting some pointers might save you some skunks.

Dom would be the guy for sure.................And with that being said, you really would not be on the cape. You would either head out of Marshfield or Plymouth which is a bit north of Cape Cod. You are really just cutting across via boat to the cape area (tip of P-town). Hell from that location (Marshfield), it is a quicker ride to Boston than it is to Chatham on the cape.