GEM 2006 food and lodging

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by Deep_Sea_Gull, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I do not know where to post this. So... it is posted here. I am trying to assist TOO and our chartermaster Ragman with planning some of this trip. It's all about the details... LOL

I plan to travel on the 17th and stop for the evening about as close as I can get to Port Fourchon. I feel that it is high time to get some plans made. I need some input from the group as to their wishes.

I know of a couple of places that are available to the group.
    www.bobbylynns.com/lodging.htm
    This will work for the group to stay together as a large party.

There is the Kajun Motel that is also close by.

What are your desires and needs? How about a head count of those that need lodging either before and/or after the trip.

Next subject FOOD.

We will have 3 breakfasts, lunches and diners plus snacks on the water.

I do not expect a six course sit-down meal. We all will need some hearty food to ensure that we as crew and anglers are ready to function.

I see things this way. A hot morning and evening meal is enough cooking. Cold sandwiches and leftovers are fine for lunches and snacks.

I am gonna eat some sashimi and cerviche.

A good meal of fresh smoked/grilled fish would be enjoyable.

I think that DrShark and McGolfer are planning to bring beef fillets and heifer dust.

I think that BBQ would be great. Either beef brisket or pork boston butt. Or both.

I do not know what kitchen aplicances are available to us. This kinda makes planning breakfast difficult.

I think that biscuits, eggs and some kinda pig would suffice most days.

Does anyone have any special dietary needs? Allergys?

TOO, how many Capt and crew are we going to be fishing with?

Suggestions?????

2. addcoe

addcoe Junior member

Tony, I think we will be traveling the 17th also, can you tell me about where fourchon is located. Looks like I'm going to be driving this time and there won't be any sleeping in the truck this trip.LOL Im trying to guestimate driving time from Tulsa.
    Food wise I'm not to picky. Im kinda up for anything. Neil

3. Deep_Sea_Gull

Try www.mapquest.com

I'm not trying to be short. This is the best internet mapping service that I know of.

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Looks like 12 1/2 hrs and about 725 miles by mapquest there Addcoe.

The last available stop for stuff you may have forgotten is the Super Walmart in Galliano on Hwy 308. You can get last minute tackle at Bobby Lynn's Marina.

Port Fourchon is much like Venice. It is an oil town that supports some fishing.
    It is somewhat different. There is a truck stop that has food late into the night.

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

I am bringing a pork loin for bbq. Almost 12 lbs should be enough to feed the whole crew a meal.

6. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Seems to be tough to get the crews input on these subjects. Did TOO's email say he had lodging lined up? Meals, maybe we should we break it up and ask each member to bring a meal for everyone to be prepared on the boat??? Or are we just going to pot luck the thing? I'm guessing with at least one or two grilled fish meals the cost should not be too bad for the rest. I'm willing to bring enough groceries for one complete meal for everyone if that's what is decided. I'm also willing to throw in money if someone is going to do all the shopping for us. We better get this going pretty soon as we're less than three weeks from departure. Bert

7. ram

ram Junior member

Addcoe: get to Shreveport, LA, take I 49 south to Lafayette, I 49 S becomes US 90 E at junction with I-10 continue on 90E to Raceland, LA, turn off onto LA 1 S, go about 20-25 miles to LaRose, LA, cross a bridge, then shortly after the junction of LA 24 the road makes a hard right turn, about 1/4 mile past that turn right onto LA 667 (i am pretty sure its the number) go about a mile and turn left onto LA 3235 a four lane that will take you to Golden Meadow where it runs back into LA 1 S (the Walmart will be on 3235 on your right) once you meet up with LA 1 S again, stay on it to Fourchon. Set your cruise control on 48 when the speed limit signs drop to 50 mph in golden meadow - biggest speed trap in LA. Shreveport to Lafayette takes 3-3.5 hrs, Lafayette to Fourchon takes 3-3.5 hrs if you take this route (it will save you at least 30 minutes versus staying on LA 1) - everyone else can use these directions once they get on LA 1 S off of HWY 90. Once you turn off onto LA 1 S you are 1-1.25 hrs from Fourchon. Good luck!

8. Deep_Sea_Gull

Thanks for the reply Bert,

I am seeing the 3 week time frame too and trying to assist Ragman and TOO.

TOO has reserved us the bunkhouse at Capt Tomney's. It will be spartan. Bring your own towel and bedroll... I am using this the night before the trip and the night after. What about you?

I agree with your suggestions about the meals. I would like to see a menu and assign who brings what. I see us feeding the Capts and crew too. Unless the group decides that we would rather have the crew cook for us.

I will take the second night meal. BBQ pork loin. Baked sweet taters. Buns and cole slaw. I will prepare and serve this meal and clean up afterwards. I will use aluminum and plastic that is disposable.

We should plan to have 4 lunches and 3 dinners and 3 breakfasts. I base this on departure and return times. Sandwiches are fine for noon time. I think that hot meals would be best for morning and evenings. I am sure that snacks will be apporiate.

I promise that I will want either cerviche or sashimi for lunch the first day. It just depends on the type of fish we have caught.

What kind of side dishes do folks want when we have fish?

We neeed your input guys....

I think that I can put in for Drfishalot and Addcoe... figure out what they need to bring and they'll help out. They both claim to not be picky eaters.

Seems to be tough to get the crews input on these subjects. Did TOO's email say he had lodging lined up? Meals, maybe we should we break it up and ask each member to bring a meal for everyone to be prepared on the boat??? Or are we just going to pot luck the thing? I'm guessing with at least one or two grilled fish meals the cost should not be too bad for the rest. I'm willing to bring enough groceries for one complete meal for everyone if that's what is decided. I'm also willing to throw in money if someone is going to do all the shopping for us. We better get this going pretty soon as we're less than three weeks from departure. Bert

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

Addcoe: get to Shreveport, LA, take I 49 south to Lafayette, I 49 S becomes US 90 E at junction with I-10 continue on 90E to Raceland, LA, turn off onto LA 1 S, go about 20-25 miles to LaRose, LA, cross a bridge, then shortly after the junction of LA 24 the road makes a hard right turn, about 1/4 mile past that turn right onto LA 667 (i am pretty sure its the number) go about a mile and turn left onto LA 3235 a four lane that will take you to Golden Meadow where it runs back into LA 1 S (the Walmart will be on 3235 on your right) once you meet up with LA 1 S again, stay on it to Fourchon. Set your cruise control on 48 when the speed limit signs drop to 50 mph in golden meadow - biggest speed trap in LA. Shreveport to Lafayette takes 3-3.5 hrs, Lafayette to Fourchon takes 3-3.5 hrs if you take this route (it will save you at least 30 minutes versus staying on LA 1) - everyone else can use these directions once they get on LA 1 S off of HWY 90. Once you turn off onto LA 1 S you are 1-1.25 hrs from Fourchon. Good luck!

Thanks Ram.

Where can I pick up some boudin sausage on my way down? I'll be coming in through Raceland.

10. Deep_Sea_Gull

LET ME ADD! ONCE YOU HIT LA1, DO NOT EXCEED THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT.
    IT IS A SPEED TRAP.

11. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I am not much on food suggetions so if you want me to provide a meal I will be glad to do my part . pancakes and sausage/ham /bacon/eggs ok for breakfast ,and of course a full pot of coffee. Does the boat have a cof. pot?

12. ram

ram Junior member

Gull I'll check on the boudain and cracklins and letcha know. ya'll might also want to check with Tomeny on rooms. I didn't get down there this year, but before Katrina there was a fairly new two story motel complex with about 20 rooms that some friends and I used right thre next to Tomeny's operations that were clean and nice - don't remember if they were Tomeny's or not.

13. Deep_Sea_Gull

I am not much on food suggetions so if you want me to provide a meal I will be glad to do my part . pancakes and sausage/ham /bacon/eggs ok for breakfast ,and of course a full pot of coffee. Does the boat have a cof. pot?

Thanks for joining in Grescobia.

I am sure that the boat has a coffee pot. I really do not know what all else they have to use for cooking.

That sounds like a good breakfast to me.

14. addcoe

addcoe Junior member

Ram Thanks for the directions sounds easy enough. Dr fishalot and I aren't real picky on food. what ever the group decides is ok with me. I would auggest using one spot for planning instead of going back and forth between gulf caost, here, bluewater board, etc. JMHO

15. drfishalot

drfishalot Member

I am also gonna do some cerviche hopefully on the way out we can catch some snapper or something while trying to catch bait. will be there for the sashimi also.

16. Deep_Sea_Gull

Ram Thanks for the directions sounds easy enough. Dr fishalot and I aren't real picky on food. what ever the group decides is ok with me. I would auggest using one spot for planning instead of going back and forth between gulf caost, here, bluewater board, etc. JMHO

Neil,

We started the trip planning over on Allcoast. Minnow set this board up and it has grown. Feel free to just post the trip info and questions here.
    I am trying to ensure that all the anglers have input into the food. I am stirring this pot so that Ragman and TOO can take care of the really important stuff.

Ram,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. We have checked with Capt Tomeny about his rooms. I am not sure if they are the ones you suggested.

17. ram

ram Junior member

The rooms I was referring to are a two story complex of about 20 units which are just up the road from Tomeny's office (that road continues past Tomeny's curves to the left and the rooms are about 100-200 yds on your right)

I checked with my source from Cut Off Louisiana and he told me they don't have Boudin in that area - different brand of Cajuns there! - he was born and raised there so he ought to know. do you have any idea what time on which day you'll be passing thru on your way to Fourchon? I think I saw somewhere that ya'll are traveling on 17th and I have to go to New Orleans that afternoon. I may be able to get some and drop it off somewhere in Raceland where you turn off HWY 90 onto LA 1 that afternoon. Lemme know.

18. addcoe

addcoe Junior member

The rooms I was referring to are a two story complex of about 20 units which are just up the road from Tomeny's office (that road continues past Tomeny's curves to the left and the rooms are about 100-200 yds on your right)

I checked with my source from Cut Off Louisiana and he told me they don't have Boudin in that area - different brand of Cajuns there! - he was born and raised there so he ought to know. do you have any idea what time on which day you'll be passing thru on your way to Fourchon? I think I saw somewhere that ya'll are traveling on 17th and I have to go to New Orleans that afternoon. I may be able to get some and drop it off somewhere in Raceland where you turn off HWY 90 onto LA 1 that afternoon. Lemme know.

The rooms sound fine, the night before everyone will probably just need a place to crash after a long drive.
    Tony thumbs up to you for getting the food and lodging going. After last year 2 nights in a truck before we left wasn't much in comfort no offense there dr. fishalot. But the closer we got to orange beach there was no rooms to be had period due to the construction going on after the hurricane.
    I would image that it the same now or worse. I would suggest that everyone bring plenty of bottled water on the way down and for the trip. I've done a lot of water treatment plant work and after last year it a good precaution.

Neil

19. Deep_Sea_Gull

Thanks for the offer Ram. I would love to talk over a cup of coffee. Problem is I have no idea when I'll get to leave the house. I think that is would be best to pass.
    Different brand of Cajuns! Who would have thought that!

I have been trying to get a map. Whew!

Tony that map is not exactly correct. I too have tried to find an accurate one and they all show the same thing. Once you turn onto LA 3090 it is the first public street to your right (just before the turn there is a private gated complex) once your turn right you go 1/4 to 1/2 mile and you will see the Port Commission building on the right (white building) turn right there - on your map I think this is labeled Bourg Street - (the map would have you continue straight on that road and veer left onto flotation canal road which is not correct) and then I am pretty sure you take the first right and the building is immediately on your right and the boats are parked on your left. Be careful parking there, the ditches have eaten more that one vehicle that I am aware of!

There is a map at http://www.stevetomenycharters.com/ It does not show detail but does show the route Ram posted.

EDITED TO REMOVE A POOR MAP LINK

20. addcoe

addcoe Junior member

Tony is there a chance Frenzy Might want to jump on board with the GEM 06 trip. I think they were on board with the cinco trip on the big E, but it got cancelled. Their tackle sure worked good for us last year.